ATF wishlist

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well it's about time for the inevitable Armored Task Force wishlist. No doubt many others will add to this or modify it as time goes on.

1. UAV's: I have not seen any in the game so far, but I feel they would really be perfectly in their element at this scale of combat. The UAV's in Decisive Action provide a pretty good model for what I think would be appropriate. One or two of these could be a real force multiplier.

2. Alternate forces: I suppose this will be possible when the database editor is released. I would like to be able to have US Marines, British, french and Canadians among others. I don't see why this isn't possible with a little effort.

3. Improved LOS fan: the LOS fan as it exists is useful, but crude. It would be far better to "shade" areas of the map which are not visible from the selected point. I'm not sure how difficult this would be from a programming point of view, but considering the high level of detail these topograpic maps sport, it's not unreasonable to want a better system for checking on LOS.

4. Improved victory condition options: As it stands now the victory conditions in ATF are absolute. Either you are completely victorious or completely defeated. It's rare to have such an uncompromising system in a wargame. To my of thinking it is better to allow the scenario designer to program in a little lattitude between a decisive victory (low casualties and all missions accomplished) vs a tactical victory (all missions accomplished but high casualties etc). Multiple types of victory conditions can go a long way toward adding replay value to a system.

I have some more ideas regarding NBC warfare that I'll post after I have a bit more time to experiment. Aside from the performance issues I mentioned in a different thread, I'm enjoying the game so far.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Here are a few more ideas. I hope no one thinks I'm being too critical. I'm just hoping this feedback is constructive in the long run.

5. Interface enhancements. There is a lot of information available for individual units during play, but perhaps the interface could be inproved to make that information a bit more accessable. What I have in mind is a floating semi-transparent display that would show critical basic information on a unit when it is clicked. Think "East Front II" "West Front" to get an idea what I'm talking about. The little display that pops up in those games when a unit is selected is an excellent idea. Of course, it can always be disabled if it becomes intrusive or the player doesn't like it.

6. The unit selection process could be tweaked a bit. I'm not exactly sure about this one yet. Sometimes I'm able to left-click on a unit fairly easily, other times I can't seem to get it to "select." I have to drag a box around it to get hold of it. I'll experiment with this a bit more, but my initial impression is that this could be tweaked a bit.

7. S2 Damage Assessment. I'm all for fog-of-war, but it's not unreasonable for a commander to have a bit more information on enemy casualties. Breaking down enemy casualties TOAW-style is probably unrealistic as a commander at this scale would not have that much detailed information within the scope of these scenarios. The time limit is hours rather than days or weeks. Having said that, it might be helpful to have a rough graph or something similar to what Decisive Action has. This isn't a biggie, but it would be nice.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
8. Database Editor: The list of vehicles available in ATF are too narrow. We need to forces and equipment from other countries. People like to play with forces from their country. ATF is/will/should be played by people around the world.

9. ATF/Air Assault compatibility: Owners of ATF could buy Air Assault as and use it like an add-on with a single interface, database, enhancements. I love using air assault and armor troops. Although, it might not be entirely realistic, I have fun.

10. Better AI: (Somebody get CPT. Proctor a ladder so he can get off the roof. :)) The AI in ATF is great, but enhancements are always encouraged.

11. PBEM games: I would like to play ATF online, but don't have alot of time on my hand. The ability to play the game in 5, 10, and 15 min turns might go along way to making the game more MP friendly. I know that flies in the face of all ATF/BCT stood for, but I can't really think of a better way to play the game online. This is not to say ProSim should abandon realtime gameplay. PLEASE NEVER DO THAT.

12. Urban Combat: This might be something to look into. Players could secure and defend city blocks.

Talon xBMCx

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Deltapooh
13: Better Maneuver Graphic's colors for Fulda Gap maps. I have a very hard time seeing the Maneuver Graphics and SITEMAP.
I second this enhancement. It is hard to discern anything on the Fulda Gap scenarios. Have swtiched to NATO icons rather than the actual units to make it a bit easier.

I know I know ... but I like to see the actual units ... :D

Other than that ... great simulation! Cant bring myself to call this a game.

Talon

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You could also try switching the map to "Contour" (from the "Map" sub-menu of the "View" menu). This displays the more traditional, BCTC style maps, which make everything stand out more.

But, point taken, we need to make the "grassland" graphics show up in a different color.

On another note, do we need to change the color of the select box with the green maps? We felt it showed up OK, but are open to suggestions.

Talon xBMCx

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by CPT Proctor
You could also try switching the map to "Contour" (from the "Map" sub-menu of the "View" menu). This displays the more traditional, BCTC style maps, which make everything stand out more.
That has been the work around I have been using. :)

On another note, do we need to change the color of the select box with the green maps? We felt it showed up OK, but are open to suggestions.
I havent found that to be a problem. The selection box is OK for me. It seems to float on top of the map where as the manuever graphics seem to get buried underneath the other map graphics.

Another thing I found was that while it is possible to play ATF in a multi-monitor setup, its not very user friendly. I generally put all the support windows (heirarchy tree, spot report, fire mission log, clock, etc.) on monitor 2 with the game running in monitor 1. If I accidentally close windows on monitor 2 they reopen back in their default position on monitor 1. Not terribly critical ... would just make the interface a little better if they remembered where they were positioned IMHO.

The most frustrating thing about playing in a multi-monitor environment is that the map continues to scroll when the cursor is on monitor 2. If I had a choice on what Id like to see updated first, this would definately be my #1 (followed closely by the unit database editor :D)

Great sim CPT Proctor. I feel my issues are nit picky ones. You have released one of the cleanest pieces of software I have ever had the pleasure of using. Im sure the delay in putting it out was frustrating, but I think it was a good decision. My hat is off to you and the publisher for realizing quality matters and sticking to it!

Talon

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Valid points all. Window location memory is an especially good idea. I'm surprised a) that we didn't think of it and b) that nobody suggested it before.

I am curious about dual monitor scrolling behavior. Our solution to scrolling when on the other monitor would be to detect dual monitor situations and shut off auto-scrolling in this environment (which of course you can do yourself).

What behavior would you recommend which would preserve auto-scrolling while solving your problem.

Black Moria

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strange as this will appear, but I would like a window or message bar that tells me when a sub-unit runs out of primary ammunition. Or a warning that the unit is running low on ammunition.

I have played two scenarios in which I have had sub-units or units run out of ammunition. In Basrah Attack, the three A10 ran out of Maverick and 30mm cannon ammunition yet continued to fly on task (which was attack Iraqi vehicle positions), taking fire the entire time.

Had I known that they were 'Winchester' on ammunition, I would have pulled them off task and sent them to the rear.

In Atef Defence, I had an entire tank platoon run out of cannon ammunition. Once again, because I was not aware (until I noticed at some point that they were not engaging the enemy) that they were out of ammunition, the tank platoon sat there and took enemy fire. Had I known the ammuntion situation, I would have popped smoke and withdrawn them.

Nothing fancy. Just a popup window or scroll bar message that reports very low or zero ammuntion status of ammunition types and the unit designation. Then, remedial action like uploading or pull the sub-unit or unit of action could occur.

Talon xBMCx

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by CPT Proctor
I am curious about dual monitor scrolling behavior. Our solution to scrolling when on the other monitor would be to detect dual monitor situations and shut off auto-scrolling in this environment (which of course you can do yourself).

What behavior would you recommend which would preserve auto-scrolling while solving your problem.
Well ... this isnt just a dual monitor problem. I just noticed it sooner because im running dual monitors most of the time. In a single monitor environment when I pull up another window from the task bar, the map continues to scroll when Im on the task bar. I take notes in Notepad as I play ... every time I go to open that window the map scrolls.

As far as disableling auto-scroll automatically ... no thank you! I prefer the option to make the decision myself and thankfully you have taken the same approach. Let the user decide as much as possible.

Like I said ... nit-picky issue. I already disabled the auto-scroll feature.

Talon xBMCx

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Black Moria
... Nothing fancy. Just a popup window or scroll bar message that reports very low or zero ammuntion status of ammunition types and the unit designation. Then, remedial action like uploading or pull the sub-unit or unit of action could occur.
This would be a great feature. Id like something on the Heirarchy tree ... like the color of the icon turning to yellow or red for the unit. Or maybe a message in the spot report?

Great idea Black Moria.

Talon

Steve Schaeffer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see a better LOS fan also. How about one that highlights the vehicles or soldiers that can be seen from the unit that you click on.
I admit as to not being very good at ATF...but I keep trying...and from my perspective it's frustrating trying to figure out if really the little yellow lines from you attacking unit can truly see the enemy in question...or is it someone else on the battlefield that sees him.

What would be really easy would be to only see the visible enemy units when you right click on your friendly units...that way I would truly see what my tanker sees .

Steve

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like to see a better LOS fan also. How about one that highlights the vehicles or soldiers that can be seen from the unit that you click on.
I admit as to not being very good at ATF...but I keep trying...and from my perspective it's frustrating trying to figure out if really the little yellow lines from you attacking unit can truly see the enemy in question...or is it someone else on the battlefield that sees him.
This feature is actually already implemented.

Right-click on a unit (not a platoon or company symbol). Select "info". In addition to the info window at the bottom left of the screen, you will see a yellow or red line to surrounding enemy, indicating who is seen and who is identified.