AT Tank Fire at Soft Targets

goomohn

Recruit
Reaction score
Why do units with 2 hex anti-tank attack range fire at soft targets 2 hexes away when under computer control? Is there any way to fix this? I've noticed it in Market-Garden and Budapest (fully patched).

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure, but I noticed there are hard halftracks and soft halftracks, which make no sense to me. Maybe the answer is realated. Been wondering that for years. Hope someone gives us an answer.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Not sure, but I noticed there are hard halftracks and soft halftracks, which make no sense to me. Maybe the answer is realated. Been wondering that for years. Hope someone gives us an answer.
Because some half-tracks were armored ((e.g. Sd.Kfz. 251) and some were not (e.g. Sd.Kfz. 11)?

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, kind of like an all-terrain truck with tracks instead of wheels. I bet their heavier than a truck. But, regarding goomohn's post some weapon systems have a greater range than the same weapon system from another country, and because of Fog of War you won't be able to see enemy unit capablities. I'm not sure that's what is happening, but you could play the other side and tell for sure. Even if I'm wrong, one of the possibilities would be eliminated, thus gaining more knowledge of the problem. I'm sure it's something logical.

navman74

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In actuality they fire under AI control because in most cases the anti-soft range and lethality should be equal to or greater than the anti-tank(hard)range and lethality...for ALL of the German AT weapons this was the case, and I believe the same for the Allied units. Therefore, if they can fire AT at 2 hex range, and (IF) they are capable of firing HE rounds, the range will generally be the same against soft targets, and in some cases a greater range due to the shell not requiring the full "punch" to go through armor, but rather just delivering an HE charge against a soft target.

goomohn

Recruit
Reaction score
As i recall these were Soviet AT guns in the Budapest Konrad I scenario. Under human control you cannot fire them 2km at soft targets. They were firing at deployed panzergrenadiers which are considered soft under the system. Realistically Soviet 7.62cm field guns could fire that far but the A.I seemed to be cheating. In Market-Garden as i remember it was the German 8.8cms firing at airborne infantry 2km out. Which again would be realistic but you cannot do that as a human player.

dirkbg

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As i recall these were Soviet AT guns in the Budapest Konrad I scenario. Under human control you cannot fire them 2km at soft targets. They were firing at deployed panzergrenadiers which are considered soft under the system. Realistically Soviet 7.62cm field guns could fire that far but the A.I seemed to be cheating. In Market-Garden as i remember it was the German 8.8cms firing at airborne infantry 2km out. Which again would be realistic but you cannot do that as a human player.
88's in Market Garden have a 2 km soft range and 4 km hard range. So a human player can fire them just as the AI can. I checked the Konrad scenario but I didn't find any Russian AT guns with 2 km range hard or soft. There are 76 mm field guns that are artillery with longer range...

goomohn

Recruit
Reaction score
I didn't know about the 88s in Market Garden. I doubt a pak88 could effectively target an armored vehicle at 4km's back then. I'm not miffed about it and I really enjoyed both of these titles. The open space of Market Garden really presented how crappy the PzC AI is. The AI in Budapest did plenty of stupid things like skipping around and wasting time.. but with numbers and the environment on it's side it gave me a run for the money.