At start deployment

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi,

I just want to check I'm doing this right please.

Deployment at set-up. Per A2.9 Up to 10%FRU of the squads that set-up on board, and up to 10% (FRU) of the squads that enter on a given turn, may be freely deployed". So a scenario starts with 6 squads at start and 12 more on turn 3.

Method 1:

So for this scenario I can deploy at start 6 / 10 = 1 squad that is on the board and another (12) / 10 = 2 that enter.

Method 2:

Or is it / can it be (6+12) / 10 = 2 squads at start.

How does it work please?

The reason I ask is that I read an AAR in a journal somewhere where the player was criticised for not using Method 2.........

Many thanks for any help / clarification.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Method 1. I play that you can deploy 10% of your at-start units (so .6 rounded up to 1 squad, in your case); and you can also deploy 10% of the reinforcements for on any given turn (so 1.2 or 2 deployments in your example). I assume that most do likewise.

It's hard for me to read the rules any other way, though I guess I can see slight room for confusion. If it was meant to be 10% of your total forces for the game, I think the RB wouldn't go to the trouble of writing 10% (FRU) of this, and 10% (FRU) of that.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Method 1. I play that you can deploy 10% of your at-start units (so .6 rounded up to 1 squad, in your case); and you can also deploy 10% of the reinforcements for on any given turn (so 1.2 or 2 deployments in your example). I assume that most do likewise.

It's hard for me to read the rules any other way, though I guess I can see slight room for confusion. If it was meant to be 10% of your total forces for the game, I think the RB wouldn't go to the trouble of writing 10% (FRU) of this, and 10% (FRU) of that.
Thanks. The relevant passage was in Journal 1 page 23 on the AAR of ASL109 Scouts Out

"Finally, he has miscalculated the number of deployable squads available to the Germans, working on the assumption that Chris has one when in fact per A2.9 he has two"

Mind you in that AAR they state that the scenario is pro-American. In the recent Yanks version 2 they revised it making it easier for the Americans to win :rolleyes:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Mind you in that AAR they state that the scenario is pro-American. In the recent Yanks version 2 they revised it making it easier for the Americans to win :rolleyes:
ROAR (at this moment) is:
A109 American 64 German 85
190 American 1 German 6

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
ROAR (at this moment) is:
A109 American 64 German 85
190 American 1 German 6
Thank you. The :rolleyes: was a reflection on the accuracy of that AAR. Then again maybe I am reading that bit about deployment incorrectly...............