Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But I do notice that in the Zulu module the unit values are designed to be internally consistant rather than comparable to WW2 values (as led to inflated Vietnam values). The Spanish-American War set also looks to be internally consistant. Kudos for that, but I wouldn't buy this stuff either. However, if I was given a free copy, I'd give it a go for review purposes.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Good points by all and too funny Sam

BTW I was born and raised in Tacoma WA, which part of Seattle you in? I was at Enfilade 92/93.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Hey man, its peoples money, granted most of us think its garbage but some might think it a treasure. Most of these guys that buy WB stuff are hardcore ASL collectors. I on the other hand would not give him one red cent.

Scott

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Hey man, its peoples money, granted most of us think its garbage but some might think it a treasure. Most of these guys that buy WB stuff are hardcore ASL collectors. I on the other hand would not give him one red cent.

Scott
Would you trade him some black SS counters?:devious:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
But I do notice that in the Zulu module the unit values are designed to be internally consistant rather than comparable to WW2 values (as led to inflated Vietnam values). The Spanish-American War set also looks to be internally consistant. Kudos for that, but I wouldn't buy this stuff either. However, if I was given a free copy, I'd give it a go for review purposes.
Agreed, agreed, agreed, no interest anyway.
I do kind of like the counter art, though.
Agreed
Are the Zulu counters black? :stirthepot::horse:
Ha Ha.

Sample art quality is good and he seems to be trying much harder to get things right. I question the applicability of ASL to pre-1916 combat and have not seen the rule variations. Not interested but have to give him some credit for trying harder.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good points by all and too funny Sam

BTW I was born and raised in Tacoma WA, which part of Seattle you in? I was at Enfilade 92/93.
I'm currently living in Bellevue, WA. Just East of Seattle (Right across the lake)

I first attended Enfilade in 95 or 96. And I've been the Tourney Director for enfilade about 8 out of the last 10 years.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm currently living in Bellevue, WA. Just East of Seattle (Right across the lake)

I first attended Enfilade in 95 or 96. And I've been the Tourney Director for enfilade about 8 out of the last 10 years.
Missed it my thaaaaat much!...

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody know ANYBODY who has bought this guy's crap, except for Pitman so he could complete his website and review them?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
That was kind of the reason I created this, I really have no interest in Zula ASL or Spanish/US ASL in 1900. I think ASL is great for 1920-1950s and that is it. I think (and IIRC Firepower from AH worked well for Modern combat in the tactical sense, never owned or played MBT or that ISDF one so can't say anything about those systems). I think I have one Zula Wars game from Command Mag its 'colored' for that systems look and feel.

Not all systems can be one size fits all and that is okay with me.

Shucks I still wish I never lost my old Yanquita game '88 that was cool (at least from what I remember as a 15 year old and that radial chart thingy...lol)

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
MBT and IDF were tank heavy and very disjointed. I always felt there were multiple independent subsystems that were vaguely attached, certainly not integrated. I actually began to develope a system myself for tactical Arab-Israeli combat but abandoned it for a lack of time (Working title "Hath Rules" for "Heebs And Towel Heads", one of the more non-PC titles ever developed.). I think ASL would work through 1967. Beyond that I shudder to think of the rules for Sagger missles would look like.

Back on topic: Has anyone here ever brought one of these ebay creations? Good God! The Victorian one is currently at $227.50! I wouldn't buy it for 1/10th the price.

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
I'm pretty horrifed at the random values he seems to have given the Zulu and British units, suggesting the research into the Anglo-Zulu War done by this fella is suspect. Shock! Horror! Lord Chelmsford a 10-1???????? 6+3 more like....

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I'm pretty horrifed at the random values he seems to have given the Zulu and British units, suggesting the research into the Anglo-Zulu War done by this fella is suspect. Shock! Horror! Lord Chelmsford a 10-1???????? 6+3 more like....
Hmm
1-1 record he had didn't he ??
Lost one (Isandlwana)
Won one (Uhlandi or something like this)

Certainly not the bumbling baffoon which a low rating would suggest ??

Or am I being overly generous ??

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Hmm
1-1 record he had didn't he ??
Lost one (Isandlwana)
Won one (Uhlandi or something like this)

Certainly not the bumbling baffoon which a low rating would suggest ??

Or am I being overly generous ??
No, I was just being a little nasty, truth be told. Chelmsford was probably more of a 9-1, in my book. He won at Ulundi but critics are still pretty divided about his performance there, given the fact that by then the Usuthu were extremely reluctant to fight and had shot their bolt at Isandhlwana. Furthermore, Chelmsford disobeyed almost all of his own field regulations and played a large part in creating the disaster at Isandhlwana and was then central to the cover-up that absolved him of almost all blame.Durnford was blamed for the debacle, unfairly it would seem, but even his 10-3 rating is a little inflated. In fairness, Chelmsford was simply out-generalled at Isandlhwana but did have a certain charisma and presence as a leader but not, in my opinion, as high as 10-1.

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No, I was just being a little nasty, truth be told. Chelmsford was probably more of a 9-1, in my book. He won at Ulundi but critics are still pretty divided about his performance there, given the fact that by then the Usuthu were extremely reluctant to fight and had shot their bolt at Isandhlwana. Furthermore, Chelmsford disobeyed almost all of his own field regulations and played a large part in creating the disaster at Isandhlwana and was then central to the cover-up that absolved him of almost all blame.Durnford was blamed for the debacle, unfairly it would seem, but even his 10-3 rating is a little inflated. In fairness, Chelmsford was simply out-generalled at Isandlhwana but did have a certain charisma and presence as a leader but not, in my opinion, as high as 10-1.
Well...you certainly know your stuff

:salute:

Ulundi...yes....I stand corrected

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
At the scale we are talking about with the "ASL Goes to Isandhlwana" module, you'd need close on 2000 squads for the Zulus alone! Daft. I'll lay money on the table that ASL Napoleonics comes up soon....