At it again

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A while back I did a little research on who was buying these 'things'. Going through Willd Bill's feedback I noticed the same two or three people paid the astronomical prices. They're either faithful collectors or there's something fishy going on there. Most of the packs he auctions go for 'reasonable' prices but every once in a while one of the stooges pays big.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I just did a five minute search of his top dollar pack sales ranging $100-$350 through June of last year:

redwolf53 - 8
alanarv - 1
hennie_s - 7
edekk09 - 10
jandm61690 - 4
swgkaiser - 1
ronb24du - 8 : Spent $1,629.00 on 7 packs - Jun 25 09

So there are five 'regulars' who spend a lot of money on these things. If someone wants to spend more time on this, see if there are any repeat top dollar purchases by the same bidder. That would be a good sign of 'fishiness'.
There is a known Ebay scam where you get a buddy to bid rediculously high on an item you are selling in hopes of enticing more bids. If your buddy "wins" the auction then you are only out the Ebay fees. But if any other sucker bids, you have some nice cash to split with your bud.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

The guys you have listed up there, redwolf, hennie, edekk, and ronb are real ASL collectors I have sent stuff to. The others I have never seen before.

Scott

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The guys you have listed up there, redwolf, hennie, edekk, and ronb are real ASL collectors I have sent stuff to. The others I have never seen before.
Oh, well...if you are vouching for them then it all must surely be on the up-n-up. :whist:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There is a known Ebay scam where you get a buddy to bid rediculously high on an item you are selling in hopes of enticing more bids. If your buddy "wins" the auction then you are only out the Ebay fees. But if any other sucker bids, you have some nice cash to split with your bud.
Hi-

Scott
I wonder if the winners ended up paying more as a result of "buddy bids". Is there any way to research the runners-up of these auctions?

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
I wonder if the winners ended up paying more as a result of "buddy bids". Is there any way to research the runners-up of these auctions?
Last I saw, eBay disguises bidder's IDs so I don't thin so.
It's interesting how five or six people can create a distorted perception of a product's value. I guess the ASL market is that small.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John,

Thanks, what is or how do you use the Tag thing? I tried the big search box in the top but its not that helpful.
I frankly have little idea how you use it, because I don't use it any more than you do. It might be a very useful tool, but vBulletin makes it so 'non-obvious' that I usually forget it exists. If I scroll to the very top of the screen there's a tiny line about "Popular Seach Tags", and if I scroll to the very bottom there's some stuff about tags applied to the current thread. How one is supposed to search for non-popular tags is as mysterious to me as it is to you.

Which is, indeed, the whole reason I bashed Michael for acting like it should be obvious to you to use it.

Tags would probably be very useful, if only we all already used them. :crosseye: Not much incentive to be one of the 'early adopters', though.

John

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emphatically NO. If Wild Bill Wilder showed up at ASLOK...

Wild Bill Hayward, who is the night shift TD of ASLOK...
There's also at least one more "Wild Bill" in the ASL community, who I played a couple times on VASL years ago. I think he said his name really was Bill Hickok, though it's been a while.

...he is an old divorced Marine Gunny Sgt and he is a nice guy but he don't take any **** either.
I've never met WBW but from his various products (ASL and CM) I get the impression he's the type who is an idea man, with lots of passion behind his ideas, but not much of one for details. Sound about right?

John

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I've never met WBW but from his various products (ASL and CM) I get the impression he's the type who is an idea man, with lots of passion behind his ideas, but not much of one for details. Sound about right?
That sounds about right to me. I have not met him in person but have corresponded with him via email, back when Tanks! and SP were band new. Back then he was very prolific in his scenario creations but not 100% always accurate. Same with the pre-ASL PTO stuff. You can view and reference his works or ideas in the old early OAF stuff.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Absolutely 100% impossible to do anything about that....
Shill bidding they can, and have, nailed but you can't easily prove a relationship between buyer and seller and it's practically impossible to prove any irregularity even if you can prove the link.
People input a bid for an amount they a) can afford and b) are willing to pay....
And that's pretty much fait accompli insofar as online auctions are concerned (unless shill bidding can be proven)
I really fail to understand the rabble rousing going on about Wild Bill's stuff.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I really fail to understand the rabble rousing going on about Wild Bill's stuff.
If you were serious and passionate about making ASL material, you wouldn't print a few copies for eBay sale, you'd figure a way to make more to sell and get them played. I think if you'd devoted the blood, sweat and tears that good design takes, you'd want the stuff played by people. WBW's entire approach does not seem to align with this desire. This is the part that makes the whole thing look wrong to me. I can't prove it, I don't mean to cast unfair aspersions, but it looks wrong.

S

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
If you were serious and passionate about making ASL material, you wouldn't print a few copies for eBay sale, you'd figure a way to make more to sell and get them played. I think if you'd devoted the blood, sweat and tears that good design takes, you'd want the stuff played by people. WBW's entire approach does not seem to align with this desire. This is the part that makes the whole thing look wrong to me. I can't prove it, I don't mean to cast unfair aspersions, but it looks wrong.

S
Mebbe he's just doing it for laughs rather than hard business ??

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Mebbe he's just doing it for laughs rather than hard business ??
<Shrug> Could be. I'm just saying why it looks bad to me (and others). I don't know anything. You seemed to say you couldn't see what the perceived issue was, so I was trying to explain why it looked bad to many of us, no more than that. I don't know him, I have bought none of his stuff, I don't have any interest in accusing him of wrongdoing, I was just trying to answer your query as to why it looks off. I still can't wrap my head around making something for laughs/passion/whatever and then intentionally limiting its distribution so drastically. But people do really weird stuff that I don't understand all the time. And I'm back to <Shrug> :D

S

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I don't think WBW made this stuff for laughs, I think he made it cause he thought that there was a gap and possibly an interest. Maybe he was thinking of seeing if MMP would be interested. Who's to say we really don't know it's all just speculation. Even when he was introducing PTO stuff before AH made COB (let alone the 1st edition of the rule book) he never really stated anything other then producing stuff. Odd I know, because other TPP have come right out and have said this is what were doing and what we are trying to accomplish. Even back when WBW switched to PC war games (Tanks! and Steel Panthers and more specifically SPWAW) I don't recall him recruiting, marketing or saying too much of anything, just pumping out scenarios and campaigns like a rabbit.

Again, further proof of this seems to be the now Zulu and 1900 modules he is making.