At it again

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I hope to soon be announcing my mini-pack: David vs the Philistines featuring Goliath. :devious:

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
That, for me, is the red flag; how quickly and how high the prices jump. If you don't think it suspicious, you're an idiot....IMHuO...
A while back I did a little research on who was buying these 'things'. Going through Willd Bill's feedback I noticed the same two or three people paid the astronomical prices. They're either faithful collectors or there's something fishy going on there. Most of the packs he auctions go for 'reasonable' prices but every once in a while one of the stooges pays big.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I just did a five minute search of his top dollar pack sales ranging $100-$350 through June of last year:

redwolf53 - 8
alanarv - 1
hennie_s - 7
edekk09 - 10
jandm61690 - 4
swgkaiser - 1
ronb24du - 8 : Spent $1,629.00 on 7 packs - Jun 25 09

So there are five 'regulars' who spend a lot of money on these things. If someone wants to spend more time on this, see if there are any repeat top dollar purchases by the same bidder. That would be a good sign of 'fishiness'.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Doresh posted this:

You've been told multiple times where to read at least one AAR on the products by someone who actually plays them.
I don't recall ever being told where to read the AAR for these products, does anyone have a link or is Mr. Doresh just making this up?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So there are five 'regulars' who spend a lot of money on these things. If someone wants to spend more time on this, see if there are any repeat top dollar purchases by the same bidder. That would be a good sign of 'fishiness'.
This meshes with my own 'research'...:whist:

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
A while back I did a little research on who was buying these 'things'. Going through Willd Bill's feedback I noticed the same two or three people paid the astronomical prices. They're either faithful collectors or there's something fishy going on there. Most of the packs he auctions go for 'reasonable' prices but every once in a while one of the stooges pays big.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I just did a five minute search of his top dollar pack sales ranging $100-$350 through June of last year:

redwolf53 - 8
alanarv - 1
hennie_s - 7
edekk09 - 10
jandm61690 - 4
swgkaiser - 1
ronb24du - 8 : Spent $1,629.00 on 7 packs - Jun 25 09

I don't want to pop a bubble, but at least three of those buyers are 100% legit purchasers and collectors.
I won't say who they are as it wouldn't be right but they've purchased from me and I've had long and pleasant dialogues with 2 of the 3
One of the IDs I have a strong suspicion is a shill ID so I'm inclined to point the people I know towards and recommend they 'watch out'.

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
Not accusing them of anything as I don't have hard proof. It just looks weird. I recall that most if not all have feedback in the 300+ range, so they're 'probably' not scammers. And now we know that three of them aren't scammers for sure. A question of appearances, that's all.
It's interesting to note that the incredibly high prices are maintained/paid by a mere seven people, five really if we only count the regulars. Many of these pack go for $30-$50 after the collectors have had their fill.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Not accusing them of anything as I don't have hard proof. It just looks weird. I recall that most if not all have feedback in the 300+ range, so they're 'probably' not scammers. And now we know that three of them aren't scammers for sure. A question of appearances, that's all.
It's interesting to note that the incredibly high prices are maintained/paid by a mere seven people, five really if we only count the regulars. Many of these pack go for $30-$50 after the collectors have had their fill.
I know mate...I wasn't accusing you of accusing them.....
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just telling you what little I know

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As long as they are not starving their kids or out holding up shops or mugging grannies to get their "fix" money, I don't have a problem with them. There are worse ways of spending your time.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
As long as they are not starving their kids or out holding up shops or mugging grannies to get their "fix" money, I don't have a problem with them. There are worse ways of spending your time.
Oh hell...does that mean I need to find a different way of accumulating enough money to buy everything I want from Intensive Fire
Sigh

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Oh hell...does that mean I need to find a different way of accumulating enough money to buy everything I want from Intensive Fire
Sigh
Remember pimping out your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend or hiring out your kids for medical experiments is also out.
Cats and dogs are not "food" or "clothing".

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't recall ever being told where to read the AAR for these products, does anyone have a link or is Mr. Doresh just making this up?
He "told" you in a rather indirect way, by pointing out that you could use the "tag" feature of the forum to find the threads.

I didn't notice him telling you what specific tag to search on, making the advice far less useful than he's making it out to be.

So, no, I don't think he's making anything up, though I'd say he's making a mountain out of what apparently could have been a molehill if he were inclined to be truly helpful.

John

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
John,

Thanks, what is or how do you use the Tag thing? I tried the big search box in the top but its not that helpful.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Forgive my ignorance but is this "Wild Bill" the same one who was one of the organizers of the ASLOK?

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Forgive my ignorance but is this "Wild Bill" the same one who was one of the organizers of the ASLOK?
Emphatically NO. If Wild Bill Wilder showed up at ASLOK, he would likely be rendered into subatomic particles by the overwhelming force of the scorn and contempt being directed at him. And that's even if Pitcavage wasn't there....

Wild Bill Hayward, who is the night shift TD of ASLOK is as fine a gentleman as you're ever likely to meet and (I am given to understand) a truly stellar playtester, which requires actually knowing the rules of ASL. :bite:

S

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Wild Bill Wilder has been around doing war game stuff since 1979 or 1980. He introduced the first PTO type of stuff in OAF in 1981 or 1982, some of the concepts he introduced were taken and refined into ASL when AH released COB. He has been doing mods for computer war games since 1985 and has dabbled in board war games as well. He is an old X-Marine and I don't think that Pitcavage or any others could render him into submission, he is an old divorced Marine Gunny Sgt and he is a nice guy but he don't take any **** either.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Wild Bill Wilder has been around doing war game stuff since 1979 or 1980. He introduced the first PTO type of stuff in OAF in 1981 or 1982, some of the concepts he introduced were taken and refined into ASL when AH released COB. He has been doing mods for computer war games since 1985 and has dabbled in board war games as well. He is an old X-Marine and I don't think that Pitcavage or any others could render him into submission, he is an old divorced Marine Gunny Sgt and he is a nice guy but he don't take any **** either.
And he has a passion for indulging in an apparent hobby of creating ASL modules, making a few quid into the bargain.
Good on him I say