At it again

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some poor schmoe paid $232.00 US for this....voluntarily opened his wallet and forked over the fundage. Un-believable!
Anybody interested in the Crimean Wars using ASL??? Maybe Alexander and the Cartheginians using Allied Minors and the Italians ??? :) :) :)
"There's a sucker born every minute" (P.T. Barnum, IIRC).

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where did ZULA come from??? I thought it was ZULU....

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Please use American English when speaking on public forums, we not readin nor written uours Englash England English gud. thxz! :laugh:

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Please use American English when speaking on public forums, we not readin nor written uours Englash England English gud. thxz! :laugh:
Do you mean Americanese?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well I was more or less thinking English-American or American-English, not English-English or proper English, you know the way you fellows speak always makes us look bad.:D

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Napoleonic ASL or what not could be interesting. Before you blow your top let me explain.

One of the greatest strengths of the system is not the values but the DFF mechanic keeping both players involved during the game. So the counters will not represent a sqd but a battalion. So the hex is not 50m but 100 m. The system is robust enough to cope with this. The IFT could be use especially if the units stripe rather than break. I can see how this could work.

It's not something I'm interested in doing but see no reason the basic system could not be used.
Still wouldn't pay those prices mind you.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I honestly wonder if anyone really *does*...
It's got to be some kind of trick. There' only two reasons to buy those things. To play them, or to collect them. Everybody knows they are about worthless on the secondary market so they aren't going to be collectors items. If somebody contacted me to play FTF and wanted to play these, I wouldn't do it. I don't think anybody else would, either. This is a really small community. Nobody knows ANYBODY who has one. Nah, it's got to be BS.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This is a really small community. Nobody knows ANYBODY who has one. Nah, it's got to be BS.
Or at least no one who is ADMITTING to owning one.
And before you ask, No I have not bought one.......
Oh you were not going to ask, hmmmmm. :(

Gavin

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Here is why I think no one is even really playing these, no one has asked for a VASLization of any of the maps nor counters yet, true they might be playing them face to face but if they were really that great then people (at least a small minority) would be saying how much fun they were (you can take for example mine and Scott's praise of Critical Hits Africa Korps packs, an we even have a VASL map and overlays for it now).

Again, I love ASL but I think that its system is good for 1920ish to 1960ish combat mainly for the Poland-Russian War, Sino-Japanse War, Russo-Japanese War, Spanish Civil War, WW2, Korea and some parts of the Middle East wars from 1948-56 maybe even some of the India-Pakistan war in 61 (IIRC). In my mind WW1 was just fought and thought of (other then 1914) in completely different terms, and any combat pre 1914 have other systems that are or have been create for them, same with 1950-90s combat. My reasoning are base a little on technology and a lot on how the tactics changed either before 1920 or after 1960.

Another source to back up my thoughts is the Shrapnel computer war games called Steel Panthers: World War Two (1920-1950) and Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank (1950-2030). In the WW1 the main unit of maneuver was the company in WW2 days it was the squads after Korea in Vietnam and till present day its the Fire Team.

Anyway, I just have not seen a large playing or praising of these creations so that is why I think they are just for collectors and not players. Hey we be playerz.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the WW1 the main unit of maneuver was the company
Not entirely true.

As for era compatibility, caling up or down is key. You'd use the current ASL framework much like computer games use base 'engines'. Saying "ASL can" or "ASL can't" is simply shortsightedness.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Or at least no one who is ADMITTING to owning one.
And before you ask, No I have not bought one.......
Oh you were not going to ask, hmmmmm. :(

Gavin
No idea why this question keeps coming up. At least three posters on this board have purchased stuff from Wild Bill, and discussed the product in open forum here. All you have to do is follow the tags to the earlier discussions. It's a simple matter of paying attention.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Agree with Michael here. I don't think it's the existence or quality that gets to folk but the sheer cost of the packs. If the pack cost $20 I suspect a lot of people here would buy them but at ten times that cost?