Assault on Red Barricades

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing SASL mission r4 "Assault on Red Barricades" from Journal 1 for the 1st time. The victory determination conditions are a little puzzling to me so I'd like some other's takes on what they mean. The VPO Placement text on the mission card indicates that each multi-hex building location is a VPO location. However the VP schedule section of the mission card only assigns VPs to fortified locations and the usual CVP stuff (ENEMY gets full CVP, FRIENDLY side gets guns & vehicles.)

If you assume all multi-location buildings are ENEMY controlled at the mission start (or assume S? can 'claim' VPOs) AND you apply S14.4 then winning the mission is completely impossible. If you assume only active units (not S?) may control VPO and they are not ENEMY controlled at mission start the mission is too easy. My interpretation is that in this case S12.6 overrides S14.4 and, since no VPs are assigned to VPOs the VPOs are all effectively worth '0' VP. This means the ENEMY still reacts to multi-hex building locations as though they were VPO (for movement & fire) but neither side gets VPs for them. This even seems to be the letter of what's on the scenario card - though S14.4 does rear it's ugly head.

The above seems to result in a challenging but winnable game as long as you still assume inactive S? cannot control VPO (since there are WAY too many fortified cellar locations with S? in them on the board for you to ever clear half of them.)

I'm curious how others who have played this mission approached this.