Assault movement

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all

What happens when an offboard squad assault move from outside the mapboard onto a hidden/concealed enemy? I think both units will lose the concealement/hidden status, the moving squad its returned offboard to enter in the advance phase, and cannot be defensive fired...

It´s that right?

Thanks

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What happens when an offboard squad assault move from outside the mapboard onto a hidden/concealed enemy? I think both units will lose the concealement/hidden status, the moving squad its returned offboard to enter in the advance phase, and cannot be defensive fired...
Correct for the most part, but there are some details. The moving stack loses concealment entirely, while the DEFENDER's stack loses concealment by random selection. If there is only one unit in each stack then the behavior becomes what you said. If the enemy unit is a SMC the moving units may attempt an infantry OVR.

The traditional strategy is to send only a half squad in to invoke A12.15, then Advance in big stacks that are concealed. Of course if the on-board unit is HIP the ATTACKER may not realize the need to do that, but I have to be concerned about a scenario that allows the enemy to set up HIP in an entry hex. As you say no defensive fire is possible.

JR

Last edited:

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
thanks.

I was thinking the same tactic... But I wanted confirmation, because it looks to me a bit unfair and a bit gamey... Anyway, I dont know if they are just dummies and he is sending my troops where he wants....

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I was thinking the same tactic... But I wanted confirmation, because it looks to me a bit unfair and a bit gamey... Anyway, I dont know if they are just dummies and he is sending my troops where he wants....
What scenario lets one side set up in the entry area of the other?

The other thing you can do is instead of Advancing a bunch of guys on, you send your halfsquad scout to determine the lay of the land, and if the route is blocked you move off-board to another point that isn't so unwelcoming.

JR

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The other thing you can do is instead of Advancing a bunch of guys on, you send your halfsquad scout to determine the lay of the land, and if the route is blocked you move off-board to another point that isn't so unwelcoming.

JR
Just played one. WO31 Ma Deuce Delivers. Though it would probably not be a good idea to do so in that scenario.

Seth

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain

JR