Assault movement placing DC

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Assault movement setting a DC

Light jungle, the opponent declares assault movement for 2 then says setting a DC in the adjacent hex for 5.

This is possible?

Keith

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sgtono said:
Light jungle, the opponent declares assault movement for 2 then says setting a DC in the adjacent hex for 5.

This is possible?

Keith
Well, I'm no rules authority, but according to A4.61 a squad and leader could do it, because it does not use all the units non-doubletime MF. Because the MF used to place the DC are expended in it's own hex, it doesn't violate the same rule number stating that the unit can only enter <= one location while declaring AM.

Of course I could be wrong, but then this is also just a cheap attempt to get my ranking higher. :D

Last edited:

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sgtono said:
But he is not setting the DC in his location but the adjacent hex.

Keith
In the EXC. it states that extra MF spent within the location entered does not negate AM unless it expends all MF or becomes CX.

The DC rules state that he is never actually entering the adjacent hex. He just spends MF in his own hex as if he were entering it. It even says a unit could remain entrenched throughout its movement phase while placing a DC in the adjacent hex. A23.3.

I think this is right, hopefully someone else will pipe in and help us out.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That's the way I would read the rules too... the squad (plus necessary leader for enough MF) has only moved one location and has just spent additional MF in the hex he originally entered to place the DC in the next hex.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He is SETTING the DC, not placing. His log goes
AM for 2
Setting DC in V5 for 5 (he is in V4)
Then he says your(my) DFPh

Keith ?????????????

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sgtono said:
Never mind, a matter of semantics either way it goes off in the AFPh

Keith
Ok Keith,

Sorry about that. I just assumed it was placing the DC. Setting it is a whole different deal. Sorry for the confusion.

But thanks for the opportunity to raise my posts #. :D

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting a DC is different, though, and can only happen pre-game OR by an infantry unit using Hazardous Movement and ALL of its MF to do so as per A23.7. It sounds like Placing [A23.3] is what your opponent is trying to do.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
NRBH and assuming you are PLACING a DC. If you use all your MF doing any action it negates assault movement.

Another example of this would be declaring aslt move, placing infantry smoke in an adjacent open ground hex and then moving into the smoke. Placing smoke in an adjacent hex cost 2 MF and moving into the smoke hex would cost another 2 MF. Unless there is leader present, giving the move bonus of 2. this would be a non-assault move, despite the fact that you only move one hex.

Also, look at the rule concerning 'minimum moves'. If your opponent is expending 5 MF in a move into a single hex (regardless of what he is doing when he gets there) and has no leader present to lend the extra two MF, then the unit would become CX. Again, NRBH but a unit that becomes CX cannot also be using aslt move.

Last edited: