Assault Fire tag in VASL?

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall in VASL there being an option to tag some squads as having an option for Assault Fire they normally would not. I think it was in the right click dropdown menu. Was that only for specific squads or am I looking in the wrong place. Playing a scenario where German 447's have AF capability.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is only available for certain squads, such as Allied Minors. They have it, because some countries they represent, have assault fire capability.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall in VASL there being an option to tag some squads as having an option for Assault Fire they normally would not. I think it was in the right click dropdown menu. Was that only for specific squads or am I looking in the wrong place. Playing a scenario where German 447's have AF capability.
I’ve got a draft extension that allows customization of MMC and SMC counters. Any interest by anybody? If so I’ll dig up the link. I made it per a request someone had but I think life has gotten in the way of his testing the extension.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
There is also the Label option where-in you can put Assault Fire or AF or whatever as well. In case that wasn't obvious.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is also the Label option where-in you can put Assault Fire or AF or whatever as well. In case that wasn't obvious.
Labelling is one my favorite features with VASL - ger. tactical/us bumper #s on aq. counters, ammo status, ect.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What would be nice, would be to have a Label under the counter too - or a thing similar to the Ctrl-I toggle that you have for vehicles and guns, with an editable text.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice, answers my question about what it does and enables an idea.

Now you could do 7-4-8/3-3-8 US Airborne SQ/HS. Maybe not the whole OB of Airborne would be that, but some at least. So at least in VASL
A US Airborne OB could be a mix of 667/668(with the circle'd E Rangers from FW) and 747/748. Missing of course are physical counters for 748/338.
This would be a continuation of what's been happening with more recent US scenario OB's that show a mix of 546/666/667.

My Opinion only, but a firm one despite screams of heresy from any quarter: At least for some US Army troops in the ETO an 8 morale is more than warranted. Especially if LFT is going to sell me that Italian Airborne has morale 8.
This especially after finishing Zaloga's book on the Bulge northern shoulder where 12th SS was trashed by elements of 3 US Infantry divisions and even considering the crushing amount of US Artillery, the infantry still held out many times till it
was wiped out - this is the behavior of 8 morale troops not 7, full stop.

Doesn't mean current scenarios have to change, but going forward new ones could be designed with the above.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I've always thought the transition from SL to ASL should have reconsidered the inherent morale level disadvantages of the American OB. I think the ELR mechanism works much better to simulate the temporal/situational advantages/disadvantages of the various combatants. And don't get me started on the Super-Finns.
;)

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I've always thought the transition from SL to ASL should have reconsidered the inherent morale level disadvantages of the American OB. I think the ELR mechanism works much better to simulate the temporal/situational advantages/disadvantages of the various combatants. And don't get me started on the Super-Finns.
;)
I think the ELR mechanism is a good tool, but the base units can be an important component. Right now I'm playing DB 106 - the SS are ELR 3 and drop from 658 down to 447. I'm of the school that a maybe a 547 would be more appropriate and missing unit for late way lower morale Germans with higher numbers of Automatic weapons. I really like the way TOT handled the German Marines 548 with ELR 2.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
As the game components won't be changed...

In cases when the actual counters don't seem to allow a satisfying design for effect, SSRs can rather easily allow some tweaking (e.g. declaring some units as Fanatical).
Or weaken the opposing forces (there are now plenty of SS counters which allow ELR replacement, with an SSR stating that their morale is not underlined, for an example).

Gary Fortenberry designed scenarios set in Italy with US special forces represented by USMC counters.

All in all, there are plenty of tools in the box to solve situational problems.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Totally agree "that horse has sailed and now that the ship is gone, the barn door is locked", I'm just ruing the missed opportunity to get it right originally when ASL was first (re)designed. Oh well, off to debate how many smoke shells can dance on a non-pontoon bridge ...

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree with you also Swiftsure - "past point of commission" as they say. This tool just allows for even more flexibility. A tip just figured out playing with the tool is that if one or more underlines are not used when opening the unit characteristics in the right-click menu, double spacing in the blank underline box, gets the other underline(s) where they need to be.

Just did my 7-4-8 and 5-4-7:
Many thanks BigAl737 for providing this.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What would be nice, would be to have a Label under the counter too - or a thing similar to the Ctrl-I toggle that you have for vehicles and guns, with an editable text.
I can add that I believe. Don’t have access to VASL right now to check if infantry counters normally have that option in VASL.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
i don't believe the information shown by ctrl-i is editable in any event.

JR