Assault Engi's in Scenario B, The Tractor Works?

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I recall AE's had to be named by an SSR but the unit involved are clearly named as Company A, Assault Engineer Battalion 50.

Sorry in advance if this was easy to find and I just didnt ;-)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If no SSR specifies that they are assault engineers, they are not gamewise.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Indeed.
One would expect a SSR matching the historical reality.
But perhaps 6 squads with 5 smoke exponent would be overpowered?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed.
One would expect a SSR matching the historical reality.
But perhaps 6 squads with 5 smoke exponent would be overpowered?
One of the best changes to that scenario as IIRC the original had all 838's designated as AE's (just don't have the original on hand at the moment to verify so going by memory). With 12 of them as in the initial OB and another 9 arriving with Pnr Bn 50, that was a lot of almost certain smoke capability. The original RB5 was a cake walk for the Germans overall (played several times and only 1 Russian win), parially because of the amount of smoke available. I haven't tried the new rendition, but it holds promise.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Considering the original SL scenario gave the Germans the ability to place 6 smoke markers at will, I would have thought they would be given AE capability in here.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Considering the original SL scenario gave the Germans the ability to place 6 smoke markers at will, I would have thought they would be given AE capability in here.
Six 838 with a 5 exponent could place much more than six smoke grenades during the scenario.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Six 838 with a 5 exponent could place much more than six smoke grenades during the scenario.
Very true, but if you didn't know, the SL system before G.I. AoV had no smoke grenades, so the Germans had the ability to place 6 Ordnance style smoke markers. Ones that stayed around just like the 5/8s counters in ASL.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Very true, but if you didn't know, the SL system before G.I. AoV had no smoke grenades, so the Germans had the ability to place 6 Ordnance style smoke markers. Ones that stayed around just like the 5/8s counters in ASL.
I played the original SL one.
I do think that the adaptation to ASL required some decisions to get over the different smoke placement rules.

Thomas Marshall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin, a couple of years ago you answered a question about this aspect of the Tractor Works scenario by indicating the AEs had a smoke exponent of 5.

I agree with your and Chris’ interpretation here in this thread and that’s how I’ve played - although I’m only this year coming back to Full ASL after many years, so I don’t know enough to be even close to dangerous - but I’m curious about what changed your mind.

Or is it simply a case of “With time comes insight?” ;)

Aug 26, 2018:
”And use all the smoke you need.
Those Assault Engineers have 5 smoke grenade factors..”

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On ROAR it's 68% pro-Russian, it'd probably be fine to give the Germans assault engineer capability.

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this recently as the Germans and got the first move. I have to agree that a lot depends on which side gets to move first. The German's can attack the factory from both sides for exactly one turn if they get to move first. That allows placing an Encirclement counter on one location in the factory, which helps the Germans a lot.