Assault Engineers - When and What?

MLong

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In practicing "good ASL", I read the Nationality Distinction section prior to a scenario (okay - so it's actually Turn 2 and I'm looking for help).

According to A25.12, the German 838 are not automatically considered Assault Engineers. Which made me ask myself the question - what is an "Assault Engineer"?.

The only instances in RBv1, I can find them referenced is:

A11.5 - they get a +1 DRM in CC vs. Vehicle

H1.22 - their SMOKE exponent is increased by 2

Does that mean that an 838 which is an Assault Engineer has a SMOKE exponent of 5?

Is the use of the term "Assault Engineer" in the OOB sufficient to designate units as Assault Engineers (as they are listed in Scenario B - Tractor Works? Or does it need to be a specific SSR?

Thanks for your collective wisdom.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MLong said:
Does that mean that an 838 which is an Assault Engineer has a SMOKE exponent of 5?
Yes (a 747 has WP grenades on a 4!).

MLong said:
Is the use of the term "Assault Engineer" in the OOB sufficient to designate units as Assault Engineers (as they are listed in Scenario B - Tractor Works? Or does it need to be a specific SSR?
I believe it needs a specific SSR.

Special K9

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, and it really sucks when an "Assault Engineer" squad is turned into a HS. No smoke at all. What happen to all the smoke they were once carrying? Oh, that's right everyone who had smoke grenades were killed - the surviving HS squad just forgot to picked them up off the dead bodies.

Kevin

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never thought about this before. Does a HS have an smoke exponent of 0 since it does not exist? Would it then have a 2 since AEs add +2 to smoke exponent? Sounds like an "Oh Perry......."

Scott

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pretty sure that this question has been covered already. The short answer is no. AE HSs do not have a magic 2 smoke exponent. The rule for infantry smoke says squads only.

da priest

Reaction score
Scott_Blanton said:
Never thought about this before. Does a HS have an smoke exponent of 0 since it does not exist? Would it then have a 2 since AEs add +2 to smoke exponent? Sounds like an "Oh Perry......."

Scott
No HS can place SMOKE.

A24.1 INFANTRY USAGE: SMOKE placement may be attempted via inherent SMOKE grenades by any Infantry squad having a SMOKE Placement Exponent .....

:smoke:

peterk1

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just want to get a clarification on this one. In Tractor Works would the German 838's be considerred assault engineers?

There's no SSR stating that they are BUT the OOB listing states that they are "Company A of the Assault Engineer Battalion"!!!

Looks like they are not (I have never played the scenarion with a 5 smoke exponent for them), but you can see how an argument could be made for it.

andy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One of the design decisions made around HS was no smoke and roughly 1/2 FP. Also the SW firing restriction. In its favor, a HS can magically portage the same number of PP as a Full Squad. There's the trade off as I understand it.