Assault Engineer counters still needed

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not wish to start a flame in the Forum, but does anybody see the need for dedicated Assault Engineer counters for the following:
American Army
British Commonwealth
Early War Heer
Early War Soviet

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your early war Heer boat already sailed (4-6-8 with 5 smoke and the DC image), they are in CdG2...part of Dinant...which means they can back creep to a geo, as they should.

I can't see why USA would not get same at some point, given USA plethora of supply compared to others...same case could, to some extent, be made for Brits...maybe even as early as El Alamein 2nd and breaching operations against the minefield belts? Others will know better than I.

Early Russians might be the hardest case...again others will know better.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Your early war Heer boat already sailed (4-6-8 with 5 smoke and the DC image), they are in CdG2...part of Dinant...which means they can back creep to a geo, as they should.
They could - since the 4-6-8 with a "5" Smoke are sort of "special" for Dinant...of course Class letter "A" is taken...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
They could - since the 4-6-8 with a "5" Smoke are sort of "special" for Dinant...of course Class letter "A" is taken...
A 468 AE should actually have a smoke exponent of 4. So yes they are special for Dinant.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This wouldn't prevent there use Honza, since they are going to have to be SSRed in to begin with.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 468 AE should actually have a smoke exponent of 4. So yes they are special for Dinant.
Um...……….no. I researched these boys to death. The system allowed 2 pip smoke exponent bump does not represent the absolutely amazing array of smoke these guys had sufficiently. Hell, I'm amazed they didn't have them crammed in body cavities. As body scans did not exist back then, who knows? They earned their 5, for sure. They were not however 8-3-8's pole vaulting through the vision slits of Pillboxes though, that does not apply. As for the other nationalities, that is for other designers to mess with and it would be fun to see their conclusions.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
American Army scenarios with Assault Engineer counter (per SSR): 18
Commonwealth scenarios with Assault Engineer counter (per SSR): 13
Early War Heer scenarios with Assault Engineer counter (per SSR): 15
Italians - 3, Axis Minors -3, Chinese (Nationalist) - 1, Finnish - 1, Early War Soviet - 1

As of 12/31/2019, AH/MMP scenarios only.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not bother with 1940 French and Allied Minor Allies was that they were on the back foot and either unwilling/unable to commit Assault Engineers
to the front. Another consideration was they may not have had sufficient quantities of demo charges and/or flamethrowers available to be issued.
Any Chinese Assault Engineer (Nationalist) most likely would have been supplied by the Americans (if they could spare them) for use by those units
in Burma. Most of the main Chinese Army units were lacking a full issue of weapons and a serious shortage of manufacturing facilities did not help.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Different Bounding Fire releases fill this gap to varying degrees. For example, ITR2 has assault engineer counters for the Japanese, Chinese, USA and Axis minors (though not in large numbers.) Working from memory, 'Poland in Flames' has Polish AE, and possibly some non-838 Germans as well? (My memory is a little fuzzy here.) I think they've also got Soviet ones in different products as well. I wouldn't be too surprised if other TPP products fill this niche somewhat as well (my TPP collection is pretty sparse outside BFP.)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With my budget, I am trying to get MMP (only) Assault Engineers. Oh well, maybe they'll come when {and if} the Rare Guns and Vehicles comes up for pre-order
[I can always hope, right?].