Votes: 32 35.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 18.7%

• Total voters

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought ASLSK1, but I do not know if I would get number 2. It may help me with some rules, it may have some great maps that are used for other scenarios and it may be a teaching tool. Then again it may just lead to the title of completist. What does everyone think?

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I'm the majority right now! I will not pre-order ASLSK2/3/4. I suspect that most people will simply because you won't be able to get the boards unless you buy it, boards that are much more varied than ASLSK1. Of course, a discount store may sell it cheaper by a litte than the pre-order price.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brian W said:
Hey, I'm the majority right now! I will not pre-order ASLSK2/3/4. I suspect that most people will simply because you won't be able to get the boards unless you buy it, boards that are much more varied than ASLSK1. Of course, a discount store may sell it cheaper by a litte than the pre-order price.
I don't need it. I have been playing a while.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completists will want it if for nothing else than the boards. But for newbies, it is all a matter of comfort level. Some people will be ready to go to ASL after ASLSK only. Others will want to take their time a little more--and ASLSK2 is for these people.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Aslsk 2,3,4 ....

I'll buy them all. Still a newbie I'm picking up new rules all the time plus I've got an 11 yr old that I'm trying to get playing so these kits well be of greater value to me if I get him interested.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Maybe,

I jumped right into ASL from ASLSK1 but having the others around might be good for hooking noobs and who wants to be left out when people want to play S7 or S8? :)

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will buy all of the starter kits so I will have the boards. Folks ASLSK boards are ASL boards, face it whether you like it or not. Buying the ASLSK for the boards is no different than buying an action pack.

You are getting scenarios and boards and yes, you can play the scenarios using regular ASL rules with a few minor modifications such as a standard SSR of "EC are moderate with no wind at start" and a standard SAN of 2 or 3 for the attacker and 3 or 4 for the defender. There, now you have an ASL scenario.

Future issues of Schwerpunkt will feature these new boards as they are released.

Evan Sherry

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I voted "Maybe"...
SK1 is a good introduction to the rules, but I believe that if somebody is hooked, he will try to go on with "full swing" ASL.
I still do hesitate about SK2, as I might prove wrong and it could still be a way to smoothe the access to ASL.
I am not very fond of the SK1 maps, as they are very 'open' and don't have as much variations of terrain as I like - but perhaps with more rules, etc. will the maps of SK2 be more interesting...
So, I believe I am the "wait and see" type of guy.
Finally, if I don't buy it, at least it will be one more for the newbies...

da priest

Reaction score
There maybe some guys waiting for #2 to see if the Game is for them(treadheads and the like).

Figure we'll pick-up some more old-timers(SLers) with #2, but more with #3.

Newbies/non-SLers, I think will be caught by #1 or never.

D-ploy

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Why not

The first one helped me learn the rules and I see it as a carefully edited version of the rulebook.

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If SK#2 comes out in the next few months, I will no doubt get it. However, I've already pre-ordered the RB2 and have a 1st ed copy now so I'm moving past what will be taught in SK#2 (I assume it will be nearly the same as what is in lesson 2 of the old Jim Stahler article).

But, if the price stays the same as with SK#1, then you cant really beat the bang for the buck - couple of new maps, scenarios and counters. For a guy just starting his collection (again), it's well worth it.

Did I just contradict the heck out of myself? :hmmm:

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Newbies/non-SLers, I think will be caught by #1 or never.

I fall into this category - having bought the ASLRB and BV. Perhaps I should have bought ASLsk1 so I can learn the game in chunks.

I "might" do so, but at this point I don't see a reason for it because the reality that I face is not having anyone around for FtF and having trouble finding anyone on JASL that wants to do a newbie scenario.

I'm sure there are players who would love to teach the game to a newbie on JASL, just that i've not found them. 8)

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2 hours south and you have planty of face to face.
Or go north to NGA in Cleveland.
Being in New Phila there is a LOT of ASL players within driving distance.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan spake:

"Future issues of Schwerpunkt will feature these new boards as they are released."

guuh...not good news in my opinion. Bland, featureless, boring...This is the first decision of Evan/S'punkt that I would have to thouroughly disagree with.

Then again, I am sure that this will not impact me buying or not buying a Shwerpunkt product. However Evan, I will ask as a long term customer, to please keep those snoozer boards to a minimum.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
da priest said:
Figure we'll pick-up some more old-timers(SLers) with #2, but more with #3.Newbies/non-SLers, I think will be caught by #1 or never.
Got a convincing point, here...
I believe I'll acquire SK2, because I rarely resist buying a new ASL product!;)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"guuh...not good news in my opinion. Bland, featureless, boring...This is the first decision of Evan/S'punkt that I would have to thouroughly disagree with."

I like it, new boards everyone does not know by heart.

I think the ASLSK scenerio in the new SP is realy good. It was my last scenerio of ASLOK when I needed a short, easy beer drinking game to bring my ASLOK to a close.

I do not think the boards are any more boring or featureless than some of the current boards.

Peace

Roger

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like it, new boards everyone does not know by heart.
Man, I just don't understand this statement. I play a lot, and I can't remember an LOS from XX hex to XX hex from game to game. Sure, you get used to a board, learn good places to be, where not to get caught etc. But If I play on board 10 today, and not again for 4 months, I'm not going to remember if an LOS was good. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are some who can, but I'm betting they are in the minority.

As long as the boards are available eventually for people who don't buy ASLSK, I guess I'm all for it.

They are going to be, aren't they? :hmmm:

R.S. Barker

0-52 baby!
Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify my point about no local FtF.

As a Full-time caregiver for my grandfather, my travel is limited to this region. Believe me when I say I'd love to be able to meet and play/learn with some of you at local events but thats not possible.

Cheers,

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you consider "region"? How long could you be away for? You are not a bad drive away from Akron or Cleveland, and not that much further to my stomping grounds in Columbus.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Personally I think the geo maps are overcrowded with a mishmash of terrains that don't seem to follow any earthly patterns. Gimme a HASL map any day.