ASLSK vs ASL routing question

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As a full ASL player, I recently purchased 10th Anniversary ASLSK#1 in order to introduce the game system to some of the younger lads I work with. Was playing ASL S1 yesterday at lunch with a co-worker and ran across what appear to be some subtle differences in the routing mechanics. Are these in fact differences between the rules sets or am I missing something?

1) In ASLRB, A10.51 (middle of the paragraph) specifically says that "...a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods kex (even if overstacked)...". However, SK#1 in 3.6 3rd paragraph says that "A routing unit must ignore any building or woods hex that it cannot enter due to stacking limits..."). My guess is that the SK is worded as such because I could not find any concept of overstacking in the SK rules...3.3 specifically states that only three MMC are allowed per hex and I didn't see any overstacking rule anywhere overriding this. (My emphasis in the above rules citations.)

2) In ASLRB, A10.5 defines when a unit that is non-ADJACENT must rout ("...may not remain in the same Open Ground hex in the Normal Range and LOS of a Known non-Melee enemy unit..."). However, ASLSK#1 3.6 says a unit "...may not remain in the same Open Ground location in the normal range and LOS of a Known Good Order enemy unit that would be able to interdict it if it were routing in that hex." That's a different threshold for causing a unit to rout...for example, an armed CX enemy unit would cause a brokie in OG to rout in full ASL, but not in ASLSK because the CX would prevent that unit from interdicting? Not sure how to reconcile this one unless I am missing something in the rules, or it is just flat-out different between the two rules sets.

Just want to make sure I am teaching ASLSK correctly to these guys and am playing by the rules that they are reading and not the full ASL rules which they don't have (yet).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Overstacking is forbidden in ASLSK except that a vehicle may move through another vehicle during the MPh.

The two are inconsistent for forcing rout in open ground.

JR

wlk

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Indeed I never noticed the slight nuance of the routing trigger between both rules.
I guess they tried to have a more simple/consistent rule for the SK, since you check the same "interdiction" condition for the starting hex and the subsequent routing hexes.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Indeed I never noticed the slight nuance of the routing trigger between both rules.
I guess they tried to have a more simple/consistent rule for the SK, since you check the same "interdiction" condition for the starting hex and the subsequent routing hexes.
I did not notice it either. I am not sure why they decided to change the rule, if the change was in fact deliberate.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Well the ASL rules did say:

A10.531:
For purposes of rout determination, Dash, concealment gain/loss, and Interdiction, an Open Ground hex is any hex in which any Interdictor could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity (regardless of what attacks it actually made in previous phases), the -1 FFMO DRM.

So technically a CX unit (since it can't Interdict) would not have forced a broken unit in OG within Normal Range to rout - nor would it cause "?" loss if a unit moved in OG within Normal Range. But, of course, nobody played the latter (not causing "?"-loss) and I would wager that very few played the former either.

In ASL Journal 11, the text above was changed to this:
"For purposes of rout determination, Dash, concealment gain/loss, and Interdiction, an Open Ground hex is any hex in which the particular enemy unit(s) could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity (regardless of what attacks it actually made in previous phases), the -1 FFMO DRM."

I.e., no longer the reference to an Interdictor. The ASLSK rules were based on the pre-ASL-Journal-11-errata text of this rule, so that would be my guess as the why the SK rule is written as it is, and I doubt any difference between SK and full ASK was intended.

ReggieRed

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, JR and Klas. Wow, that is a subtle point that I never noticed before with regards to an "interdictor" used to previously define an OG hex in full ASL, and it now makes sense why the SK rule is the way it is. I think I will teach them the ASL way to keep things consistent between the two as my goal is to someday get them to full ASL, but I will point out the differences between them and the theory as to why that is so.

In a related note, my ASLRB says "Interdictor" in A10.531, so I guess I better get busy getting the errata incorporated!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How are these inconsistent.
In ASL a CX unit forces a broken unit in open ground to rout. The broken unit "may not remain in the same Open Ground hex in the Normal Range (10.532) and LOS of a Known non-Melee enemy unit/its-SW/Gun" where Open Ground is defined per A10.531 as a hex "which the particular enemy unit(s) could apply, during a hypothetical Defensive First Fire opportunity (regardless of what attacks it actually made in previous phases), the -1 FFMO DRM." A CX unit could apply the -1 FFMO DRM, so it forces rout.

In ASLSK a CX unit does not force a broken unit in open ground to rout. The broken unit "may not remain unemplaced in the same Open Ground location in the normal range and LOS of a Known Good Order enemy unit that would be able to interdict it if it were routing in that hex" (3.6). Because it has a positive DRM the CX unit cannot interdict in any hex.

JR