ASLSK VASL Friendly League - Complete!

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've participated in a couple of VASL League tournaments and really enjoyed the chance to meet new players and play scenarios that I haven't tried before. I am looking to pay it forward now, but since the big boys have things well in hand for regular ASL, I thought I'd check here to see if there is any interest at the Starter Kit level.

My thinking is that this would be a low key, entry level group with infantry only scenarios for the first two rounds unless the players agree otherwise. We could even make the first round a 'teaching' round if that would help some who might be sitting on the fence. I welcome all ideas and feedback, and if I get at least 8 who are willing to give it a shot, then I will run the thing.

I'm not on Facebook, but if anyone wants to spread the word there and send some players this way that would be great.

XXXXXXXXXXXX Update!

Having received some valuable advice, I realize I need to provide more info. What I have in mind is a round robin format, where everyone will get the opportunity to play multiple games, win or lose. This is all about fun and learning, after all. I would like to start in July and finish up by the end of the year, but of course if I get enough sign-ups earlier I will assign some matches so you can get started. After 3 rounds, the best records can compete for the title of Starter Kit Champ.

Signed up so far:
TheSQLguru
TheSQLguru's daughter
Rooster2k
Conscriptvlad
Kaiax33
Cepierce
CDR G
Cassinator
Von Garvin
Timpelican
Chris NL
PJH
Seawolf72
Eduardordzso
Sam987

XXXXXXXXXXXX Update 8/9/2018

First round matches & results:

TheSQLguru (1-0) defeated Kaiax (0-1) in S26
Littabean (1-0) defeated Cepierce (0-1) in S29
Conscriptvlad (1-0) defeated Cassinator (0-1) in S1
Von Garvin (1-0) defeated Tim-Pelican (0-1) in S3
Rooster2K (0-0) is playing CDR G (0-0)
Chris NL (0-0) is playing PJH (0-0)
Seawolf72 (0-0) is awaiting an opponent
Eduardordzso (0-0) is awaiting an opponent

XXXXXXXXXXXXX Update 9/9/2018

Second Round Matches & Results:

Eduardordzso (0-0) vs Seawolf72 (0-0)
VonGarvin (1-0) vs TheSQLguru (1-0)
LittaBean (1-0) vs ConscriptVlad (1-0)
Kaiax33 (0-1) vs Tim Pelican (0-1)
Cepierce (0-1) vs Cassinator (0-1)
Chris NL (1-0) vs Sam987 (0-0)
PJH (0-1) is awaiting an opponent
CDR G & Rooster 2k have not finished their first round game

Last edited:

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Can do. posted on the SK forum on FB. how do you want to get messages?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The one word of warning I would give you is you will need to be active promoting players yo complete games. A lot of SK players will not have as much invested in the game as ASL players do so might be tempted to let it slide.
Tgat could be minimised by creating a "pool" of games so those eager to play can get on with the next game without gavjngbto wait for others to finish a round.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My daughter and I will play, and would be happy to help newer players out along the way. I posted the link to this thread on the ASLSK FB group just now. I will have players that are interested PM me their details if they aren't on and don't want to join GameSquad and give them to you directly JFardette.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The one word of warning I would give you is you will need to be active promoting players yo complete games. A lot of SK players will not have as much invested in the game as ASL players do so might be tempted to let it slide.
Tgat could be minimised by creating a "pool" of games so those eager to play can get on with the next game without gavjngbto wait for others to finish a round.
Thanks, appreciate the advice.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My daughter and I will play, and would be happy to help newer players out along the way. I posted the link to this thread on the ASLSK FB group just now. I will have players that are interested PM me their details if they aren't on and don't want to join GameSquad and give them to you directly JFardette.
Welcome to you both. Since you are offering to help out, I'm assuming you are familiar with both VASL and Starter Kit? Were you at ASLOK last year by any chance?

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to you both. Since you are offering to help out, I'm assuming you are familiar with both VASL and Starter Kit? Were you at ASLOK last year by any chance?
OH ya He's familiar and his daughter is a shark. It's an honor to play either of them.

conscriptvlad

Reaction score
Country
llPhilippines
Hello,

I'm interested to join the ASL SK VASL League. I have some years experience in playing ASLSK and ASL over VASL but in no way do I consider myself a great player :p. I live in Manila (GMT+8). I hope the timezone difference won't be too much trouble.

Vlad

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello,

I'm interested to join the ASL SK VASL League. I have some years experience in playing ASLSK and ASL over VASL but in no way do I consider myself a great player :p. I live in Manila (GMT+8). I hope the timezone difference won't be too much trouble.

Vlad
I think with a little flexibility it should work out fine.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Thanks John. Is there a big ASL following in Taiwan? I would have never guessed.
Two years ago, it was nothing to speak of, but we now have a growing core of players. I'm putting in an effort to teach as many as I can, along with Robin Chung. We plan to do an ASL tournament here in 2020.

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
I'd be willing to give this a shot as well. Are we thinking we'd be playing FtF over VASSAL, or more PBEM over VASSAL?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Get in touch with Patrick Ireland. He has taught a huge number of SK players and is a thoroughly good chap.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes to all three for both Amanda (aka Bean) and myself. We played together on the final day of ASLOK in the finals of the ASLSK mini. She used her "special dice" and came away victorious. :D

For those that need some ASLSK tutoring or practice or help with VASL feel free to email me and I will put you in touch with my daughter. My email is my user name on Google's mail service. I would love to help with the mentoring too, but I am completely overwhelmed with work these days. :(

JFardette: I will be happy and able to help with scheduling, adjudicating, cajoling, etc over the course of the event. I am a computer expert so I can keep track of stuff on an excel spreadsheet, and may (though not likely) be able to find time to slap together a website to manage the event.

Best,

Kevin (aka TheSQLGuru)