ASLSK or Basic ASL PBEM Opponent wanted (Newbie)

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi All,

I started playing a year or so ago, mainly via FtF/VASL and with the help of a generous tutor. I've played some SK1 scenarios, but mainly full ASL with infrantry only (still make mistakes, though).
I'd like to get into PBEM and am looking for an opponent who has the patience to walk me through the basics of playing via email.

As I've never played by email before, I'm not sure how fast I will be able to respond - but I think I should manage a daily turnaround one I'm past the initial ramp-up.

Thank you in advance!

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Inbox is exploding, thank you! Found opponents. What an outstanding community :)

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank you for your tips!

Regarding your tip #5 ("avoid PBeM"): I understand what you are getting at. PBeM surely is surely a rather cumbersome way to learn the basics of the game.
However, where I'm living, FtF opponents are scarce, as is my time available to play FtF (job; family; the usual suspects).

After a year of playing ASL, I can manage my way through the SOP - at least when playing infantry scenarios with a low gun count. There is of course a plethora of rules that I still have to learn.
In other words: within the last year, I learned how to make my counters do stuff. Now I want to learn what stuff to do to win scenarios. It is my understanding that this is best achieved by playing opponents better than me (now these should be available in abundance). One FtF opponent explicitly suggested to get into PBeM as this would allow me to take my time, think and read rules.

At the moment, I have a PBeM game going (Full ASL) and have already learned a lot.

Nevertheless, I'm still looking for PBeM opponents to play through the ASLSK1 scenarios (including expansions and free stuff).
So, if anyone's interested - pm me (see also SK1 PBeM Opponent Wanted)

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your tips!

Regarding your tip #5 ("avoid PBeM"): I understand what you are getting at. PBeM surely is surely a rather cumbersome way to learn the basics of the game.
However, where I'm living, FtF opponents are scarce, as is my time available to play FtF (job; family; the usual suspects).

After a year of playing ASL, I can manage my way through the SOP - at least when playing infantry scenarios with a low gun count. There is of course a plethora of rules that I still have to learn.
In other words: within the last year, I learned how to make my counters do stuff. Now I want to learn what stuff to do to win scenarios. It is my understanding that this is best achieved by playing opponents better than me (now these should be available in abundance). One FtF opponent explicitly suggested to get into PBeM as this would allow me to take my time, think and read rules.

At the moment, I have a PBeM game going (Full ASL) and have already learned a lot.

Nevertheless, I'm still looking for PBeM opponents to play through the ASLSK1 scenarios (including expansions and free stuff).
So, if anyone's interested - pm me (see also SK1 PBeM Opponent Wanted)

A few points:

A) With VASL there is no reason to state you cannot find FtF opponents. They are all over the world, and readily accessible. And with Skype or other voice in the mix it is like you are right in front of them. :)

B) What you say about PBeM allowing you to take you time and read the rules is correct. However, recall that I was answering this question from the "newbie's" perspective (from the title of the thread). Even ASLSK is complex enough to often make it difficult to find the specific rule that is applicable for a given situation if you haven't already come across it in play - or more likely been shown it by a tutorial document (such as Jay Richardson's for SK) or better opponent during play. In full ASL it is VASTLY more difficult due to the myriad exceptions, caveats, provisos and limitations scattered liberally throughout the BOB.

C) And I still strongly believe that PBeM will REALLY cut down on your ability to learn the "stuff to do to win scenarios". So many of the things are just not "grokable" from reading the rules and examples therein. You can play a good player via PBeM many times and still not come away with more than a small fraction of the reasons why they hand you your @ss every game. :-D

C)

Fortunato

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A few points:

A) With VASL there is no reason to state you cannot find FtF opponents. They are all over the world, and readily accessible. And with Skype or other voice in the mix it is like you are right in front of them. :)

B) What you say about PBeM allowing you to take you time and read the rules is correct. However, recall that I was answering this question from the "newbie's" perspective (from the title of the thread). Even ASLSK is complex enough to often make it difficult to find the specific rule that is applicable for a given situation if you haven't already come across it in play - or more likely been shown it by a tutorial document (such as Jay Richardson's for SK) or better opponent during play. In full ASL it is VASTLY more difficult due to the myriad exceptions, caveats, provisos and limitations scattered liberally throughout the BOB.

C) And I still strongly believe that PBeM will REALLY cut down on your ability to learn the "stuff to do to win scenarios". So many of the things are just not "grokable" from reading the rules and examples therein. You can play a good player via PBeM many times and still not come away with more than a small fraction of the reasons why they hand you your @ss every game. :-D
I agree 100% and am really thankful for your suggestions and the insights you are offering. However, due to my busy schedule, I have usually one evening/week that I can dedicate to FtF games.
PBeM is the next best thing that I can manage. Babysteps, surely - but steps nonetheless.
I'm probably not a total n00b anymore; but considering the plethora of intricacies that differntiate the ASL master from the padawan, I'm pretty much still at the beginning of a hopefully long journey.
So, the title may not be 100% correct, although I'm reluctant to NOT label myself as a newbie.

Why don't we start an ASL SK game via email to assess my newbieness? :)

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I have restricted my play to just the Starter Kit. I don't have the bandwidth to devote to the full game.

ASL is DEFINITELY a life-long journey. Heck, even SK would take you over 10 years to play all of currently-existing scenarios once for each side and one game per month, and that discounts the upcoming PTO module (and new scenarios designers will invariably put out based on that), a 5-scenario SK 1 pack I know is in development, the two new scenarios per Special Ops issue, etc. There is a rumor that a new SK HASL is in the works too. :)