ASLSK Instructon over VASSAL?

MobHit

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking to learn ASL starting with ASLSK1 (I own a hard copy) and am VERY eager to learn. I learned about VASSAL recently and now have it installed. I am not much of a board gamer and this is admittedly a bit new to me. I was wondering if there are any online groups or friendly folks out there willing to spend a bit of time with me to get me understanding and playing ASLSK and VASSAL?

I hope this is not too much to ask and apologize if it is just not how its done. I am only getting so far reading and watching YOUTUBE videos. I am a hands on person and really just need to move some pieces around the board.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking to learn ASL starting with ASLSK1 (I own a hard copy) and am VERY eager to learn. I learned about VASSAL recently and now have it installed. I am not much of a board gamer and this is admittedly a bit new to me. I was wondering if there are any online groups or friendly folks out there willing to spend a bit of time with me to get me understanding and playing ASLSK and VASSAL?

I hope this is not too much to ask and apologize if it is just not how its done. I am only getting so far reading and watching YOUTUBE videos. I am a hands on person and really just need to move some pieces around the board.
Hey Mob. ASL is indeed played on VASL. There is one gentleman in particular, Patrick Ireland, who is retired and who has tutored many players through the SK system. As far as getting on VASL in the first place, IM me if you need to get set up on there and a quick tutorial tomorrow night. I get in late, near 9PM EST, but it shouldn't take too long to get you up and running.

For the sake of clarity, Patrick tutors right on VASL. He is retired and has the time to do so.

MobHit

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Mob. ASL is indeed played on VASL. There is one gentleman in particular, Patrick Ireland, who is retired and who has tutored many players through the SK system. As far as getting on VASL in the first place, IM me if you need to get set up on there and a quick tutorial tomorrow night. I get in late, near 9PM EST, but it shouldn't take too long to get you up and running.

For the sake of clarity, Patrick tutors right on VASL. He is retired and has the time to do so.
Thank You! I have had several helpful folks inbox me with his name. I am guessing he is the go to guy fo this sort of thing. ...I am really looking forward to learning teh ropes.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MobHit, I can probably get you started in ASLSK if Patrick doesn't have the time. I might not be the right guy to get VASL running on your computer though, I tend to fumble around myself. If someone else can help with getting the program running and downloading the starter kit boards and whatever extensions you want, I will be glad to walk you through a couple of scenarios. Welcome to ASL!

Edit. You will also need Skype so that we can talk during play. I'm not going to teach this game by text message and I'm not a fan of PBEM.

ireland94

Starter Kit Teacher/Mento
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi MobHit,

The Game Squad site was down so long that I did not get a notification of you.

Yes indeed I mentor new players using the SK system.

I will be more than happy to assist you.

I always (well, mostly always) use the VASL room "Starter Kit Training"

I am there every day of the week.

I work one on one with each player.

Drop me an email at ireland94@embarqmail.com

I will need your first and last name in the email (to make Outlook happy).

I will also need your timezone, I am in the Dallas, Texas, USA timezone which is currently CDT (UTC - 5)

I have worked with players all over the world so you location is not a problem, we just need to find a joint day/time to play.

I have 7 emails of stuff I send to new players.

Also add me as a Skype contact, pat19481013

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Pat