[ASLSK] FFNAM

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Does the DEFENDER get the FFNAM if the target unit does not change hexes?

For example, unit is stone building pops smoke into an adjacent hex, spending 2 MF. My brother fires on the unit. Would the FFNAM apply? I say not since I'm not moving in the sense of actually traveling any distance. He says spending MF is called moving in the rulebook since you can make DFF only against moving units.

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your brother is correct.

The smoke placement occurs first. This means DFF is allowed (but only after placement). And FFNAM applies.

Keith

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any moving unit which does NOT declare its move as an Assault Move may be fired on with the -1 F(irst)F(ire)N(on)-A(ssault)M(ovement) modifier by the defender, regardless of where it actually moved.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
However, if that unit declares Assault Movement and spends less than his total MF allotment, FFNAM does not apply.
In this case, the fact of throwing a smoke grenade does not cause non-assault movement per se.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
OK, so before spending any MF, declare Assault Movement (or not). Even if I don't end up moving (i.e. just placing smoke, etc) my MF would be "Assault MF" and I could avoid FFNAM.

Odd, but I can see the logic.

I'll remember to assault in place next time. :)

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Its not that odd really. When using Assault Movement (AM), your unit moves more carefully. So if you declare that before placing the Smoke, it means that your unit did it more arefully than if you did not declare AM, and is therefore less vulnerable.