ASLSK Examples

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was very happy to receive my copy of the ASLSK the other day.

In reading through the book, I came across the movement examples at the top of Page 8. These examples show the Germans moving into Russian hexes during the MPh.

The first paragraph of 3.3 says that "Units may . . . not move into a hex containing enemy units during the MPh."

I'm thinking this could cause some problems down the road.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK examples - are okay

I was a little confused by the examples when I saw them, but they are correct (although I think they could have been better presented graphically).

The units that you think (and I thought) are German units are really the Russian units before their move.

For instance, the squad and LMG in hex H3 looks kinda German in color. But it's not a German 2nd line 4-4-7; it's a Russian 1st line 4-4-7 (the 2-6 LMG is the clue).

The unit started the movement phase in H3 and moved to J2, and that's where it shows up in all its brown glory.

A completely different color or a key on the illustration would have helped explain the difference. (The accompanying text is correct - "In the Russian MPh. . . the 4-4-7 in H3 spends").

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: ASLSK examples - are okay

Greg S said:
For instance, the squad and LMG in hex H3 looks kinda German in color. But it's not a German 2nd line 4-4-7; it's a Russian 1st line 4-4-7 (the 2-6 LMG is the clue).
D'oh! Why oh Why would you have an example with german and russian 447's in at the same time! That's an invitation for mis-undertanding.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are no German 4-4-7's in the example.

However, the 4-4-7's in their pre-movement positions are colored grey, which, to these eyes, is kinda close to the blue-gray of the German units scattered throughout the rules.

If you look closely at the illustration, you can tell it's not a German counter (the left hand unit on the counter is holding his rifle in a different position from a German counter, and his right foot is flexed at a different angle), but the big 4-4-7 numbers and the color of the counter can be initially misleading.

At least, that's my story.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
I noticed the same thing when I was looking at the example. The Russians are a "light" or "dull" gray before they move then they get their color at the end of the arrow when they show where they moved to.

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the clarification. Sure looked German to me.

/me puts turns up the light and dons reading glasses.

Hopefully, not too many others will misread it like I did.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have to admit, it took me a moment to understand. I couldn't figure out why the Italians were there when the text kept referring to Russians and Germans. :)

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Come to think of it, a dashed outline around the pieces in their "before" locations would probably have made the situation clearer.