ASLSK Action Pack 1

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It becomes ever more clear that ASLSK is developing into a separate product line.

When there is an ASLSK AP1, there will likely be an ASLSK AP2.

This is surely good news for those people who do not want to move on to ASL - which might not be to few.
I believe the ASL community has acknowledged that ASLSK is good for ASL, even if some will drop out of ASLSK again or not make the transition to full ASL.

There is one point, that now might need some clarification of intentions my MMP:

In the ASLSK AP1, there are two maps included. The "full ASL" player typically will not be very interested in the ASLSK AP scenarios. But he might want the maps, because these could possibly see use in scenario designs in "full ASL" products as has happened (though not very often) in the past.

What are the options for such a "full ASL" player to get hold of the maps:

1. Is he "required" to buy the ASLSK APs to get hold of the maps (along with scenarios he does not care for) in case he wants a "complete" set of geo-boards?

2. Will the geo-boards of the ASLSK APs be available as separate "parts"?

I hope for the second option. Because otherwise, we could be in the same sort of trouble like with that "Operations Special" Magazine, in which one ASL geo-board was published (along with non-ASL content) but which, maybe also due to some protests within the community, luckily did become available as a separate part. If ASLSK evolves into a separate product-line, as it more and more appears, then components should be kept separate as well.

An alternative could be for MMP to discourage the usage of ASLSK geo-boards (the "lettered" ones) for "full ASL" scenario designs. This approach is probably less viable.

von Marwitz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In the ASLSK AP1, there are two maps included. The "full ASL" player typically will not be very interested in the ASLSK AP scenarios. But he might want the maps, because these could possibly see use in scenario designs in "full ASL" products as has happened (though not very often) in the past.
IIRC, those maps are two already existing SK-maps.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It becomes ever more clear that ASLSK is developing into a separate product line.
Well, not necessarily... Looking at all the new rules that are being introduced, maybe the plan is to keep adding more rules until at the end of ASLSK AP28 they can say, "Well, that was it, now you can play full ASL!" :)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Seems like a weird decision, but it does not say "two new maps", so I think you are right.
On the contrary, it seems a sound decision, as we will not have a dilemma: "should i but it only for maps or not?"

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
On the contrary, it seems a sound decision, as we will not have a dilemma: "should i but it only for maps or not?"
Yeah, I was thinking that some players might feel like they don't want to buy it if they have the maps already. That they might feel like they are paying for something that they already have and will just end up having duplicates of some maps.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a lot of it, but it also solves many unpleasant purchasing combinations that are more difficult to support.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, not necessarily... Looking at all the new rules that are being introduced, maybe the plan is to keep adding more rules until at the end of ASLSK AP28 they can say, "Well, that was it, now you can play full ASL!" :)
I got a look at these when they were in the developmental stage. The approach is not to introduce the new rules as expansions to the rules of the existing set, but instead to have ssrs that gave capabilities similar to the full ASL capabilities, but without the complexity and full detail.

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, I was thinking that some players might feel like they don't want to buy it if they have the maps already. That they might feel like they are paying for something that they already have and will just end up having duplicates of some maps.
That would be me, because I imagine that like Decision at Elst the counters will be duplicates of others in the system. Will a version without maps be available, like AoO back in the day?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
That would be me, because I imagine that like Decision at Elst the counters will be duplicates of others in the system. Will a version without maps be available, like AoO back in the day?
Sell your duplicate maps to the ASLers that didn't by the other SK expansion? They would be happy to buy the maps w/o the scenarios.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got a look at these when they were in the developmental stage. The approach is not to introduce the new rules as expansions to the rules of the existing set, but instead to have ssrs that gave capabilities similar to the full ASL capabilities, but without the complexity and full detail.
This proves what I've been saying all along. MMP knows the rules well enough that they can reword them such, that they produce identical results to the original rules. Just in a smarter, more direct method though. They need to free up more time is all... like less vacationing & drinking and get it done! :cool:

That said, I'm very impressed that with all they have on the go already, they have managed to once again produce an exciting new SK product for us, excellent job guys!

Last edited:

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be curious as to how the Mussolini rescue scenario plays. I looked at that incident some years ago as a possibility for a scenario and thought it was "un-ASL-able."

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In a nutshell, gliders land with Skorzeny's dudes, and Mussolini is "possessed " like a SW by the Italians at start. The Germans win by possessing him at game end.
Thanks, Chas! Would rep, but I'm all out at the moment.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
In a nutshell, gliders land with Skorzeny's dudes, and Mussolini is "possessed " like a SW by the Italians at start. The Germans win by possessing him at game end.
And next they go off for some pizza and vino...

(sorry, out of rep too)

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not necessarily if these were OoP or the products they originally came with.

von Marwitz
So sell the maps separately and sell the AP with scenarios only. Why? Because I and any other SK fan owns all the SK packs and already have the maps. I'm not going to be forced to pay for maps I already have. So, I will pass if that's the case.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So sell the maps separately and sell the AP with scenarios only. Why? Because I and any other SK fan owns all the SK packs and already have the maps. I'm not going to be forced to pay for maps I already have. So, I will pass if that's the case.
I understand your reasoning. In fact, in a way I share it but from the opposite perspective. I would not like to be "forced" to buy ASLSK scenarios if the maps were new ones.

Our conclusion is indeed the same: Sell the maps separately, or, better said, offer them as well as a part.

For the given product, it would not be of consequence for me personally as I already (likely) own the maps.

Still, I approve of supporting ASLSK by MMP.

von Marwitz