(ASLSK) 3.5 - Assault Fire & 3.3 Smoke

Mechashef

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If I have a stack containing three German 5-4-8s, and they use Assault Fire, is the FP calculated like this:

(5/2)+1 = 3.5 which is rounded to 4.
Three squads thus comes to 12FP.

Or like this
((5+5+5)/2) + 3 = 10.5 which is rounded up to 11, but becomes 8 FP.

In a hex, I have three squads who can all attempt to place smoke. They are stacked with a SMC and intend in moving as one stack. If all three squads attempt to place smoke into an adjacent hex, is the cost for placing the smoke 2MF or 6MF?

Thanks

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Mechashef said:
If I have a stack containing three German 5-4-8s, and they use Assault Fire, is the FP calculated like this:

This one

In a hex, I have three squads who can all attempt to place smoke. They are stacked with a SMC and intend in moving as one stack. If all three squads attempt to place smoke into an adjacent hex, is the cost for placing the smoke 2MF or 6MF?
I understand it to be 2 MF spent by every counter in the stack (even the SMC).

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>In a hex, I have three squads who can all attempt to place smoke. They are stacked with a SMC and intend in moving as one stack.

Must be careful here. If you announce this and one of the MMC rolls a 6 you're not going to get very far.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pinning of one of the units attempting to place smoke should not affect the further movement of the rest of the stack. NO SK RB handy, but Comprehensive Q&A:

A4.12 If units of different MF capabilities are
moving as a stack, and if the slowest unit is
eliminated, breaks, or pins, are the other units
limited to the MF available to the stack at the
start of its MPh?
A. No. [Compil8]

A4.12 If a leader is moving with an MMC whose
MF are limited due to excess PP and the MMC is
eliminated, breaks or pins, is the leader limited by the excess PP?
A. No. [Compil8]

So if one of the MMC pins, then the other MMC (along with the SMC) should be able to continue their move.

Last edited:

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mechashef said:

Or like this
Thanks
You never round modified FP .... do you ?? I thought you take the fractions and go to the next lowest col.....

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Assault fire is different. Specifically states rounding up the fractions.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Robert Wolkey said:
Must be careful here. If you announce this and one of the MMC rolls a 6 you're not going to get very far.
MMP gave the exactly same answer, when I asked them. If a 6 is rolled, whole stack... is stuck! :eek:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Larry said:
The pinning of one of the units attempting to place smoke should not affect the further movement of the rest of the stack
In fact, rolling a 6 does not PIN the squad. It only finishes its MPh.
So, if this happens, the whole stack is still affected.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
MMP gave the exactly same answer, when I asked them. If a 6 is rolled, whole stack... is stuck! :eek:
You don't happen to have the context for your original question to them handy do you?

The SK rulebook says "If the smoke placement dr is 6, the unit must immediately end its MPh in its current location."

Just above (top of column) it says
"Units may choose to move as a stack and may break up the stack during the MPh to continue to move separately, but all members of that moving stack must end their MPh before a unit not in that stack may move."

I've always played that if a stack is throwing smoke, all the members of the stack are spending the 1 or 2 MF (all vulnerable to DFF) but any counter that rolls a 6 is simply left behind as if it voluntary decided to stop.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Robin said:
This sounds like someone legislating from the bench. I would ignore this answer unless they make it official. A4.2 by itself does not support his interpretation.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
WaterRabbit said:
This sounds like someone legislating from the bench. I would ignore this answer unless they make it official. A4.2 by itself does not support his interpretation.
I was just trying to contribute to the discussion, as I had already asked a quite similar question some years ago at MMP.
I had asked if squads moving as a stack could all try smoke grenade placement at the same time.
I was answered yes, but if one of the smoke grenade dr was a 6, the whole stack would have to stop.
It was in the ASL rules (not SK) context that the question was asked.
Now, if you think I was trying to impose my point of view or even lying to have my point, I can't do much for you...:mad:
Of course, it is not "official" : it is just another "Perry sez" type of answer... and the other opinions expressed here are not more "official", aren't they?

I am still not convinced one ought to treat the "end of MPh" caused by a 6 smoke gen. placement dr as a "Pin" result (e.g FFMO and FFMA are not cancelled and the unit can advance). If one seeks coherence, one should begin by noticing that clear difference...

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
Robin said:
I was just trying to contribute to the discussion, as I had already asked a quite similar question some years ago at MMP.
I had asked if squads moving as a stack could all try smoke grenade placement at the same time.
I was answered yes, but if one of the smoke grenade dr was a 6, the whole stack would have to stop.
It was in the ASL rules (not SK) context that the question was asked.
Now, if you think I was trying to impose my point of view or even lying to have my point, I can't do much for you...:mad:
Of course, it is not "official" : it is just another "Perry sez" type of answer... and the other opinions expressed here are not more "official", aren't they?

I am still not convinced one ought to treat the "end of MPh" caused by a 6 smoke gen. placement dr as a "Pin" result (e.g FFMO and FFMA are not cancelled and the unit can advance). If one seeks coherence, one should begin by noticing that clear difference...
Don't infer anything I didn't write. My pointed comment was at MMP not you. Many of the 'Perry sez' seem off the cuff and not well thought out. Many of the 'Mac sez' were the same way. I don't consider them offical unless they put it in writing either on the website or in a Journal/Annual. That way you know that they spent more than two seconds thinking about it.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
WaterRabbit said:
Don't infer anything I didn't write. My pointed comment was at MMP not you ... I don't consider them offical unless they put it in writing either on the website or in a Journal/Annual.
OK. Capito signore ! ;)
Now, I do remain skeptical about treating the "end of MPh" as if it were a break/Pin result : all the units in a stack share the maximum MF spent (e.g. if a unit picks up a SW, all the stack pays the 1MF price).
As the "end of MPh" is a quite unique situation, I do believe there should be some official clarification some day...

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Mechashef said:

Or like this

Thanks
The three squads give 12 FP

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
sorry no ASLSK handy

Mechashef said:

Thanks
You move the three syouads as a combined stack (ASLRB A 4.2).
You designate their smoke laying action simultaneously by unit and smoke hex and MF (last sentence of the mentioned rule).
Then you role the three dice simultaneously, place he smoke (if any) and the appropiate MF are spent (same hex smoke:1MF, adjacent hex:2MF).

If you move as a combined stack and have at first one squad invividually place smoke all squads spend the appropiate MF but only one die is rolled.

The famed "6" does end the MPh only for the unlucky unit (next to last sentence of ASLRB A 4.2). The remaining untits can move on.

The "6" unit is not pinned.

A 8.11 2nd sentence allows IMHO firing on the "6" unit and the other units - even with FFMO FFNAM if other confitions are met.

It is mostly tricky and dangerous to move units combined. I avoid it when possible.