ASLRB 1st Ed - any good or better getting the 2nd Ed?

G. K. Zhukov

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi folks. :D

I am rescuing my ASL material from the attic. I have every single item TAHGC published except for "Doomed Battalions", "Blood Reef: Tarawa" and "A Bridge Too Far". Everything is Avalon Hill's 1st Edition (including SASL); no MMP items here.

I also installed VASL, but for the moment I only plan to play it solitaire (with SALSA II)...

The first question is: is my 1st Ed ASLRB "usable", and in case the answer is "yes", which errata do I need to fully upgrade it to 2nd Edition standards? If the 1st Ed ASLRB is hopelessly obsolete, I understand MMP are reprinting their 2nd Edition... any estimation of availability?

Second question is do I really really need any other new modules aside from the original ones I have? Have the German, Russian, British, US, etc. counters suffered any changes? Are there new markers I need to play?

Thanks very much in advance. :D

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my opinion, the first edition rule book is very much "usable". The second edition adds more illustrations and flow charts and is worth having, but you can play with the first edtion.

One of the journals (3, I think) had a summary of the changes between version 1 and 2, but no comprehensive list exists, AFAIK. The main changes involve wall advantage and bocage. If you can get that summary, or read through someone else's v2 rule book you should be good to go.

Sam

splooger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any idea when the 2nd ed. rulebook will be available? I pre-ordered it and thought it was at the printers months ago.

dgdimick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate waiting myself..

:( I myself wonder if it will ship before the end of summer.. But I'd rather wait and have it done right then get it today and have it half done.. :wink:

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also your counters from the original modules are just fine. No changes as far as I know.

The v2 is a straight re-print not much to mess up, I would reckon it will be on the sooner side.

Keith

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was under the impression that the rulebook was at the printers--if so, it should be out soon. Hopefully by Origins.