ASLOK XXXV (the Redux) - October 3rd thru 10th, 2021

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's try that again...

The pre-reg info for ASLOK XXXV for 2021 is now available:

And the booking link for the hotel is also available though Marriott. You can also call the hotel directly 216-252-7700 and ask for the ASLOK room block if you prefer.

Anyone who pre-registered for ASLOK XXXV via PayPal is welcome to roll over their pre-reg to this year - just include a note with your Mini selections. Same for anyone whose check I cashed but I think that list is far more limited. If folks prefer a refund, that's fine as well - just reach out via email please.

Apologies for taking this long to get the info out, but in these "interesting times" it was not at all clear until recently if a face-to-face ASLOK would seem viable this year. At this point we are relatively optimistic that we can pull it off. The hotel is secured for this year (and next FWIW) and with vaccinations happening we believe the environment is likely to be safe for ASL come Oktober. Obviously if the health situation changes, we will once again adapt, but fingers crossed we will back to a relatively normal ASLOK experience in 2021...

Please let me know if you have any questions, or notice any issues with the pre-reg info. I attached the full flyer as a .pdf as well. The form is available at the pre-reg link above as both a .pdf & .docx in both full and Registration form only...

Hope to see this year in Cleveland...

Attachments

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
fingers crossed we will back to a relatively normal ASLOK experience in 2021...
That seems overly optimistic, unless by "relatively normal" you mean "no damned foreigners".

I doubt very much that restrictions on overseas travel will have eased significantly by October of this year.

That being said, you Yankees are free to breathe on each other as much as you like. :)

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That seems overly optimistic, unless by "relatively normal" you mean "no damned foreigners".

I doubt very much that restrictions on overseas travel will have eased significantly by October of this year.
Finally our World Cup strategy is coming to fruition! 🆒

Valid point - unfortunately controlling the world's travel restrictions is well beyond my control. I meant "relatively normal" in the, "we should be able to gather some players and play face-to-face". I think you're looking for "Totally Normal" which would be anyone that wants to can definitely attend. Hopefully that's achievable by October but with that being in doubt it may be difficult for overseas players to commit to travel plans etc. But my guess is a Totally Normal ASLOK may not occur until 2022, but I'd be happy with baby steps for now compared to 2020...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
On the list for my shot. Tentatively planning on attending this year so as to meet up with Fish's brother Mike. Fish's Apple IIe computer has been in my attic for 20+ years and finally got in touch with Mike to see about getting it to him. Seems like ASLOk is the place to rendezvous.

If I make it there hope to meet some of you guys.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
No shot in sight for me, but I am still optimistic that I can attend.

Given the vaccine-procurement-incompetence of the EU, maybe the World Cup has to be between the US and the triumvirates Canada/UK/Israel. many good players in those countries 😀.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No shot in sight for me, but I am still optimistic that I can attend.

Given the vaccine-procurement-incompetence of the EU, maybe the World Cup has to be between the US and the triumvirates Canada/UK/Israel. many good players in those countries 😀.
I live in the EU and I will be flying home in May to get vaccinated as there is no vaccination in sight for me here. -- jim

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
I live in the EU and I will be flying home in May to get vaccinated as there is no vaccination in sight for me here. -- jim
What do you need to board a flight to the US from EU and/or enter the US from the EU? Negative COVID test? some COVID Passport?

same Question for getting back.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
What do you need to board a flight to the US from EU and/or enter the US from the EU? Negative COVID test? some COVID Passport?

same Question for getting back.
Going home to the US, all I need is my passport. It is my home country and I am here in the EU on official business. Coming back to the EU, I have SOFA status which makes me a quasi legal permanent resident. I know when Covid first hit, that was enough. I am not sure if it will be enough in May. Those rules change all the time so my wife and I are watching to see what we might need. Dulles airport (where I will fly to and from) offers Covid testing with a 30 minute turn around so if that's a requirement, it shouldn't be an issue. If its proof of vaccination, that shouldn't be a problem either. I wish I could just get it here, but that doesn't seem to be likely giving the way things are going. If that changes, I will just take the vaccine here. -- jim

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Registered and paid for ASLOK

Made reservation at Four Points hotel.

Giddy with an-ti-ci-pation ....

... it's making me wait.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any chance for a hybrid ASLOK with a couple of VASL minis if we can't get across the border by then?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You qualify to get a vaccine at any VA/ Military Hospital (even overseas)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My vaccination is scheduled for this week, so if the Canada-US border opens for regular travel, I will be there.
Could you set aside half your dose and send it to Nova Scotia, please, Michael?

I certainly plan to attend, if Mr Rodgers is so kind to lend a helping hand. Here in NS I am unlikely to see a vaccine shot before June or July.