ASLOK XXXV (the Redux) - October 3rd thru 10th, 2021

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got email from Bret confirming my mini choices. I think he is digging through everything and will post list eventually. I’m curious but seeing the list is not make or break for my attendance.

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the Pre-Reg list is not up-to-date. I'd like to judge what it is going to be like there as I will have no kit, and will be dependent on the kindness of strangers. With a full normal ASLOK, that will be fine. If it is highly cut down, not as sure. Wavering as much as I do want to go.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, the Pre-Reg list is not up-to-date. I'd like to judge what it is going to be like there as I will have no kit, and will be dependent on the kindness of strangers. With a full normal ASLOK, that will be fine. If it is highly cut down, not as sure. Wavering as much as I do want to go.
No need to fear not having a kit. I bring three sets and am always in attendance. If you need anything just look me up. I am never hard to find.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I have deleted several posts that were off topic and/or COVID related.

The COVID topic has derailed other threads before that is why they are not allowed in this thread.

Do not include comments about COVID they will be deleted.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If your main issue is worries about begging kit - you'll be fine - we'll have at least 2 full sets at the front desk so worst case you can just bum stuff off of Wild Bill or myself. Also remember with a higher percentage of American attendees than normal, it is likely more people will have their stuff as well.

Unfortunately I'm woefully behind on pre-regs so I don't have a great answer for numbers as of yet - hoping to dig out this weekend...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The following is what I have been sharing with pre-regs in my acknowledgement email regarding ASLOK & Covid:
Note: we continue to plan on ASLOK being FtF in October. At this point our anticipation would be the only thing that would cancel a FtF ASLOK is new government restrictions on indoor gatherings.

We are recommending everyone get vaccinated, but not requiring it. We will not require face coverings unless Cuyahoga county requires them.
Basically it is our intent to proceed with a FTF ASLOK this year if permitted to do so by the regulatory agencies outside of our control. I had considered attempting to mandate vaccination and/or masks and decided I did not want to be the mask police, much less attempting to track vaccinations. My best suggestion is to get vaccinated to minimize your risk. If you either cannot or have at risk people in your home that you are worried about exposing, I hate to say it, but this is likely a good ASLOK to miss, as I do not think there is any way to lower the risk of attending to near zero unfortunately.

Note: my goal here is to present what ASLOK is planning for this year. I'm not looking to derail this thread into a Covid debate or how our policy could be improved. If you would like to share that directly, drop me an email and we can discuss offline.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You need to be with your wife. There are priorities and the significant other is at the top of that list. Good luck and our prayers are with you both.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Having given the issue considerable thought I think Randy acted correctly.

Personally the Forum is a refugium for me, as I have stated in the past. Things got too contentious last year and that is not what I come here for unless it specifically applies to ASL. If I want that real world stress in my life I will start watching TV again.

Btw don't be surprised if refugium is The ASL Word of the Day. I'm out of adrenaline and running on fumes both physically and creatively.

Last edited:

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
What is the news on T-shirts? What is it going to look like and what color will it be? When is the deadline to get our order in? Thanks.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the news on T-shirts? What is it going to look like and what color will it be? When is the deadline to get our order in? Thanks.
Bill Sisler had drawn up a Finnish Machine Gun crew last year that we will use for the shirt I believe. He was suggesting light grey for the shirt to match the most recent Finnish counters. I had also been vaguely considering a montage of a bunch of his art from over the years in his honor, but my guess is each of those would end up being too small to make it worthwhile...

I will put in the T shirt orders by 9/17 at the latest. So it is easiest if you order by then - after I put in the orders I can still adjust sizes for a few days and after that you're relying that I bought extras of the size/style you need - so it's not like you can't get a T after that as I typically order extras, but it also means I may run out of the size you need...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick reminder that our room block expires on September 9th so if you're thinking about coming, it is easiest to snag a hotel room now prior to the block expiring. Historically for those that can get into the hotel after the 9th, I have been able to typically get them added into our block, although I can't guarantee that after then.

If you have any issues getting into our block or book late and need assistance getting the better room rate, just drop me an email.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I won’t be at this year’s ASLOK after all. I hope to see you all in 2022.
-Andy Beaton