ASLOK XXXIV - Official TD AAR

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saturday Mini Update:
  • New Kid in Town: Rob Wirthlin wins the New Kid final as Danny Stanhagen opted out of contesting another final.
  • Samurai of the Rising Sun: PTO Master Stan Jackson dispatches Swedish hopeful Magnus Rimvall in the final - a hotly contested game of True Grit from DTF3.
  • Squad Bleeder VI: Andrea Pagni takes the wood over Milton Soong as it sounded like he bought plentiful OBA and planes and bombed/strafed Milton into submission...
  • Squad Bleeder VI #2: Mika Harviala knocks off Jeff Wirthlin to secure Finnish wood. Mika had the Russians and withstood Jeff's plans to eschew infantry purchases for tanks in a rush for the scoring zone.
  • New Kid in Town #2: Doug Kirby edges Neil Stanhagen in the final to bring home the wood.
  • ANZACs Attack: Brian Wiersma knocks off Kevin Killeen for the title winning the mini featuring a trio of new Andy Rogers' scenarios, coming soon to an MMP product near you.
  • Dust in the Wind: Jason Wert knocks off Tom Kearney in the final to become King of the Wind...
  • Wrongway's Ready or Revise?: Ed Beekman triumphs over Randy Glesing in Pete's playtest mini.
  • Start Me Up (ASLSK): Kevin Boles backs up his reputation as the Master of Starter Kit, at least when he's not being schooled by his daughter Bean, as he knocked off Michael Hrabak in the final to give the Boles family 2 SK plaques in the last 3 years...
  • To the Last Man: Wes Vaughn & James Taylor triumph over Tommy Cvetinovich & Pete Mudge in the traditional Saturday night grudge match. The room was concerned at how quiet the festivities started but they began to find their groove as the clock neared 1AM...

Last edited:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grofaz Update - Final:
  1. Chad Cummins (6-0) - Nicaragua
  2. Eero Vihersaari (5-1) - Finland
  3. Bob Bendis (5-1) - IL
  4. Bill Cirillo (5-1) - VA
Congratulations to Chad Cummins for winning his 2nd Grofaz title and his first in 17 years. Oddly enough Chad first won at ASLOK XVII and has now repeated at ASLOK XXXIV. Chad is the obvious prohibitive betting favorite for ASLOK LI.

• Eero Vihersaari was first to move to 5-0 as he upended John McDiarmid in AP55 The Generalisimo's Own. John had the Chinese and it sounded like he got much of the game being slapped around by Eero's hot dice, but at the end he had a chance to win if he could manage to win a 2:1 -1 CC outright, but alas the roll was an 11 and the win went to Eero.
  • Chad Cummins knocked off fellow multi-time Grofaz Bob Bendis in 43 Into the Fray as Chad's Poles were up to the task of upending Bob's Germans. Chad moved to 5-0 and Bob became the spoiler as we knew we would have an odd # of 5-0 players.
  • Bill Cirillo moved to 5-0 by upending Rich Domovic in AP61 Desobry Defiant. Bill's Germans kind of steam rolled the Americans and forced an early concession although since they were the 3rd game to end, Bill drew the spoiler, Bob Bendis who claimed to be reinvigorated after playing Chad.
  • Acts of Defiance Semis - both semifinal matches chose to play Acts of Defiance giving the Germans the balance (9-2 Armor leader) and no Rain as they eschewed Wind Change DRs. Both matchups diced for sides - I know in Chad's high roll got to choose side.
    • Chad Cummins knocked off the Finnish Sensation Eero Vihersaari as his Russians just held on in an epic game which provided an exciting finish. Chad missed the OBA at the end which gave Eero's Germans a window which he exploited gamely. Chad had 4 MMC walled up in the VC area and Eero hit them with a spray fire advancing fire shot (8+3 and 4+3) and rolled a 3 to force some dramatic MCs for the Russians. Chad failed on 2, but 2 passed to preserve the win. Now Chad had to rely on the spoiler, Bob Bendis, to upend Bill Cirillo or look at changing his flight to play a final in the morning.
    • Bob Bendis managed to edge Bill Cirillo at around 7AM to decide the Grofaz as Chad triumphs, Eero places 2nd, Bob 3rd & Bill 4th. It sounded like it was another epic battle and if Bill had managed to roll a 5 in CC he wins, but alas, it was a 7, giving Bob's Germans the Win.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Back home and not CX as I paced myself to no more than two games a day, a good night's sleep and American Airlines.

Congratulations to all the winners and many thanks to the ASLOK staff as well as Perry Cocke from MMP and Pete Shelling for their rules assistance. Nice to have three vendors there also (Ritter Krieg, Gamers Armory and Broken Ground) as well as the usual crowd of congenial gamers.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Congratulations to Chad, an outstanding player. Looking forward to playing with him in some future event.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grofaz Update - Final:
  1. Chad Cummins (6-0) - Nicaragua
  2. Eero Vihersaari (5-1) - Finland
  3. Bob Bendis (5-1) - IL
  4. Bill Cirillo (5-1) - VA
Congratulations to Chad Cummins for winning his 2nd Grofaz title and his first in 17 years. Oddly enough Chad first won at ASLOK XVII and has now repeated at ASLOK XXXIV. Chad is the obvious prohibitive betting favorite for ASLOK LI.

• Eero Vihersaari was first to move to 5-0 as he upended John McDiarmid in AP55 The Generalisimo's Own. John had the Chinese and it sounded like he got much of the game being slapped around by Eero's hot dice, but at the end he had a chance to win if he could manage to win a 2:1 -1 CC outright, but alas the roll was an 11 and the win went to Eero.
  • Chad Cummins knocked off fellow multi-time Grofaz Bob Bendis in 43 Into the Fray as Chad's Poles were up to the task of upending Bob's Germans. Chad moved to 5-0 and Bob became the spoiler as we knew we would have an odd # of 5-0 players.
  • Bill Cirillo moved to 5-0 by upending Rich Domovic in AP61 Desobry Defiant. Bill's Germans kind of steam rolled the Americans and forced an early concession although since they were the 3rd game to end, Bill drew the spoiler, Bob Bendis who claimed to be reinvigorated after playing Chad.
  • Acts of Defiance Semis - both semifinal matches chose to play Acts of Defiance giving the Germans the balance (9-2 Armor leader) and no Rain as they eschewed Wind Change DRs. Both matchups diced for sides - I know in Chad's high roll got to choose side.
    • Chad Cummins knocked off the Finnish Sensation Eero Vihersaari as his Russians just held on in an epic game which provided an exciting finish. Chad missed the OBA at the end which gave Eero's Germans a window which he exploited gamely. Chad had 4 MMC walled up in the VC area and Eero hit them with a spray fire advancing fire shot (8+3 and 4+3) and rolled a 3 to force some dramatic MCs for the Russians. Chad failed on 2, but 2 passed to preserve the win. Now Chad had to rely on the spoiler, Bob Bendis, to upend Bill Cirillo or look at changing his flight to play a final in the morning.
    • Bob Bendis managed to edge Bill Cirillo at around 7AM to decide the Grofaz as Chad triumphs, Eero places 2nd, Bob 3rd & Bill 4th. It sounded like it was another epic battle and if Bill had managed to roll a 5 in CC he wins, but alas, it was a 7, giving Bob's Germans the Win.
Looking at Fish’s gear there got me a little verclempt and by the time my last game with Bill was over I was exhausted mentally and emotionally, literally broke down crying. I finally beat Bill and it took everything I had, pushed myself to new limits. lol. Thanks Brett and Bill for running a fine show and everybody there for making ASLOK a great experience ! I guess at this rate Chad wins again in 2036 !

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The second to last attack in the game was the coolest(for me I guess), in desperation my 9-2 directed the 9-1 with a lmg for a 2 -2 into the adjacent gully against 3 Russian 6-2-8 goons (getting ready to advance into the victory area and a probable victory for Bill) and rolled a snake eyes and a 2KIA! Rambo with a pal! Bill’ coolest attack/s were two bounding fire snake eyes with a bounding/non-stopped T44 that finally took out my jpzIV or whatever the hell that thing was. Then the last attack was my biggest blunder when I threw the demo into a melee against Bill’s last 2-2-7 , luckily for me Bill’s 1/2 squad failed the 2MC just like my 2 guys. Not a good idea in retrospect but my brain was fried at the time so, glad things worked out.

Last edited:

cvetzor

Reaction score
First name
Thomas
Country
llUnited States
Back home and not CX as I paced myself to no more than two games a day, a good night's sleep and American Airways.

Congratulations to all the winners and many thanks to the ASLOK staff as well as Perry Cocke from MMP and Pete Shelling for their rules assistance. Nice to have three vendors there also (Ritter Krieg, Gamers Armory and Broken Ground) as well as the usual crowd of congenial gamers.
Your American counters are in Bret’s good hands. The counter boxes were found on the back tables of the main room

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I have never heard of Chad Cummings. Is this his first win at ASLOK? Is he by any chance of a younger generation? Perhaps a nubreed?

Edit: Oh I have just seen he won before 17 years ago!

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Congratulations Chad for another tourney win.

Thanks again to Bret, Bill and others for running such a fine tournament.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Your American counters are in Bret’s good hands. The counter boxes were found on the back tables of the main room
I claim a senior moment at 69 years young. Brett contacted me immediately and my Amis like Blücher will arrive late on the battlefield at Winter Offensive which we both normally attend.