ASLOK XXXIII - Official TD AAR

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's all over but the Celebrating. The US has finally won the World Cup. The World staged a furious late comeback to close within 4, but in the end came up on the short end of the 48-44 Score. 92 games played is the 2nd most ever played in World Cup history (ASLOK XXV in 2010 saw an amazing 115 played).

Brian Wiersma claims the US MVP at 6-0. Bill Hayward & Bob Bendis both went 3-0 and Rob Loper, Stan Jackson, John Stadick & James Taylor all ended at +2. All in all 41 different combatants recorded a game for the Americans with 17 of those ending up with a positive record.

For the World, Aaron Cleavin takes home the World MVP at 7-3, winning 6 straight after a slow start to the week. Georges Tournemire ended up +3 at 3-0. Mikko Lukkari and Philippe Briaux both ended up 4-2 to go +2. 21 different players battled for the World with 11 having a positive record.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's all over but the Celebrating. The US has finally won the World Cup. The World staged a furious late comeback to close within 4, but in the end came up on the short end of the 48-44 Score. 92 games played is the 2nd most ever played in World Cup history (ASLOK XXV in 2010 saw an amazing 115 played).

Brian Wiersma claims the US MVP at 6-0. Bill Hayward & Bob Bendis both went 3-0 and Rob Loper, Stan Jackson, John Stadick & James Taylor all ended at +2. All in all 41 different combatants recorded a game for the Americans with 17 of those ending up with a positive record.

For the World, Aaron Cleavin takes home the World MVP at 7-3, winning 6 straight after a slow start to the week. Georges Tournemire ended up +3 at 3-0. Mikko Lukkari and Philippe Briaux both ended up 4-2 to go +2. 21 different players battled for the World with 11 having a positive record.
ASLOK history has been made! My warmest congratulations for the US players who competed. It was high time you won and well deserved.

More reason to play World Cup games next year!!!

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wednesday begins with effectively 10 minis going (with the DTF minis only being 2 rounds we actually will award 13 plaques, 6 of which will be DTF), 9 of which are full with only Gor-Gor going off with a half field. That means 76 "warriors" committed to cardboard combat are currently doing battle.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enjoying the blog! How bout some superlatives? Who smells the worst this year? Best dressed? Worst dressed? First fight? Drunkest?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And what new stuff is getting played, and how does it look?

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And what new stuff is getting played, and how does it look?
Hatten and Death To Fascism getting a lot of play. Both are great. I have seen a few from the Korea module being played. Two players are battling it out in “Last Bid” from RB. Just my .02 cents
Cheers ya’ll!!
Pierce

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Death to Fascism pack and Hatten getting most of the play as Friendly Fire could not evade the immigration folks.

Played three of the DTF scenarios plus one Operation Turnscrew offering.

Three in World Cup (2-1) as USA shattered a 12 year losing streak by four IIRC.

DTF looks really good.

Rich

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wednesday Mini Update:
  • Godzilla King of the Monsters: Peter Struijf is battling Darryl Lundy while Brian Wiersma battles David Kocot in the semis.
  • Welcome to the Jungle: Andy Rogers has the Japanese on the defense in Broken Bamboo against Steve Tinsley's Brits.
  • Gor-Gor Heretical Variant: Wai-Kwong Wong overcame the Flying Finn Mikko Lukarri to take home the first mini wood of ASLOK XXXIII.
  • AARP: Randy Glesing has the Russians in Red Tears Shed on Grey against "Big Bad" John Stadick.
  • From Russia with Love: The Italian Stallion Andrea Pagni has the Russians in Parry & Strike against Derek Ritter.
  • War Dogs: Wes Vaughn edged Tuomo Lukkari in Maintaining the Box on a bid of 1.5 squads to advance into the finals where he awaits the winner of Dave Ginnard & Tom Kearney.
  • AARP #2: Jeff Wasserman and Chris Mazzei are dueling in Chris's very own scenario, Red Tears Shed on Grey in the final - Chris has the Russians.
  • Death To Fascism #1: Paul Washington overcame Neil MacPherson to claim his first lifetime wood which also knocked him out of Friday's Biggest Loser No More mini. A nice problem to have.
  • Death To Fascism #2: Doug Sheppard and Richard King are vying for DTF supremacy.
  • Death To Fascism #3: Aaron Cleavin overcame Steve Flicker to become the first double-wood winner of ASLOK 2018.
  • Death To Fascism #4: Steve "Gor-Gor" Pleva knocks off Jeff Coyle to claim a Mini.
  • Death To Fascism #5: Ken Mioduski & Georges Tournemire are battling in Art of War with Ken commanding the Chinese.
  • Death To Fascism #6: Steve Dennis and Dave Wallick are dueling in Magnificent Beasts of Prey. Dave has the Russians.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I must have missed it in my 4 year hiatus, Darrel Wright passed away? When?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
"Farewell, Master Holbytla!" he said. "My body is broken. I go to my fathers. And even in their mighty company I shall not now be ashamed. I felled the black serpent. A grim morn, and a glad day, and a golden sunset!"

“I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you, and I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate. . . If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wednesday Mini Update:

Godzilla King of the Monsters: Peter Struijf and Brian Wiersma battled for a day and were not able to overcome the monster that is VotG24 Raid on Rodimstev. After a break to Grofaz, they are hoping to settle it soon.
Welcome to the Jungle: Andy Rogers takes home the wood as his Japanese lasted in Broken Bamboo against Steve Tinsley's Brits.
Gor-Gor Heretical Variant: Wai-Kwong Wong overcame the Flying Finn Mikko Lukarri to take home the first mini wood of ASLOK XXXIII.
AARP: "Big Bad" John Stadick's Russians down Randy Glesing in Red Tears Shed on Grey.
From Russia with Love: The Italian Stallion Andrea Pagni's Russians managed to defeat Derek Ritter in Parry & Strike.
War Dogs: Wes Vaughn & Dave Ginnard are strategizing on when to play their final. Wes edged Tuomo Lukkari in Maintaining the Box on a bid of 1.5 squads to advance into the finals while Dave Ginnard advanced past Tom Kearney.
AARP #2: Jeff Wasserman and Chris Mazzei are still dueling in Chris's very own scenario, Red Tears Shed on Grey in the final - Chris has the Russians.
Death To Fascism #1: Paul Washington overcame Neil MacPherson to claim his first lifetime wood which also knocked him out of Friday's Biggest Loser No More mini. A nice problem to have.
Death To Fascism #2: Doug Sheppard downed Richard King for DTF supremacy.
Death To Fascism #3: Aaron Cleavin overcame Steve Flicker to become the first double-wood winner of ASLOK 2018.
Death To Fascism #4: Steve "Gor-Gor" Pleva knocks off Jeff Coyle to claim a Mini.
Death To Fascism #5: George Tournemire wins over Ken Mioduski's Chinese in Art of War.
Death To Fascism #6: Steve Dennis garners wood after beating Dave Wallick in Magnificent Beasts of Prey. Dave had the Russians.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thursday Mini Update:

• Darrell Wright Memorial Night: In a fitting tribute to his fallen fellow North Carolinian, Doug Sheppard takes home the trophy after a tough late night affair against Wes Vaughn in Old Hickory.
  • Pacific: Stan Jackson & Aaron Cleavin are poised to play the final any day now. Stan is on an ANZAC killing spree having downed Adam Lunney in round 1 and Andy Rogers in round 2 and is poised to battle Aaron in the finals.
  • Deluxe: Mike Ziementz and Rob Loper are about half way through the mini final before breaking for Grofaz action. Rob had nuked a couple of motion Italian vehicles with Mols in the Replacements.
  • Tincans & Popguns: Andrea Pagni downed former Grofaz Bob Bendis in a double jeopardy final to take him his 2nd wood of the week.
  • It's Like Being There!: JR Tracy defeated Ken Mioduski in the final to claim the plaque.
  • Attack of the Killer Hedge Rows: George Tournemire narrowly bested Derek Ritter in the final.
  • Hawkeye & Hot Lips: In an all Korean designer final, Mike Reed defeated Andy Hershey to make his triumphant return to ASLOK.
  • The Best of Friendly Fire: Bill Cirillo pulled off the ever impressive Stanhagen double beating Danny in the semis and then Neil in the finals to start his Grofaz title defense.
  • Tincans & Popguns #2: Steve Pleva downed Brian Abela in a double jeopardy mini final/Grofaz mini first round.
  • The Best of Friendly Fire #2: Chris Mazzei knocked off Joe Celebuski in a double jeopardy mini final/Grofaz mini opener.