Looking forward for 2018....

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Exciting stuff. I'm living it all through; although at a distance.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Let's keep our fingers crossed for Phillipe (sp?) from France. I saw and helped him after a nasty fall on the hotel's rainy sidewalk this morning. He was belatedly trying to join the other Monday morning stragglers for the communal breakfast. He hurt his hip/pelvis pretty bad, needed a wheelchair to go back inside, and the ambulance arrived as my airport shuttle departed. It "appeared" nothing was broken, best case it was just a deep bruise. His plane home departed in six hours and hopefully he made it. I pray for a good resolution for him.
Hope he'll recover quickly.

davegin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once again, another ASLOK comes to a close. Congratulations to my good friend Bill Cirillo on his outstanding achievement. Thanks to Bret and Bill for all their outstanding work in keeping ASLOK at the forefront of the ASL tournament experience. A big thanks to all the players who attend our humble affair. It is truly you guys who make ASLOK the wonderful experience that it is. For the last 31 years, Columbus Day has been the saddest day of the year for me. On this day every year for almost half my life, I realize how much I miss my friends. I used to think that it would be a year before I would see any of them again, now I hope that this will not be the last time I see some of them. Some people make life long friends as children, some in high school, college, and later, in the workplace. I made my friends through the gaming community. I love you all. I appreciate our time together more than you can imagine. I may have five brothers, all of whom I cherish, but there are of cadre of ASLers who are just as close to me as my own family: you know who you are. So until the crisp air of October rolls around to Cleveland once again, I wish you all great health, happiness, and memorable games.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well said Dave, hopefully Phillipe is ok and not stuck in some U.S hospital in Cleveland.

Scott

Ronnblom

Swedish Terminator
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Sorry to hear. For us international players, this year is terrible for the flights back due to problems on jfk affecting all the connections. Mine of yesterday was cancelled and today I'm lucklly being rerouted via Detroit Amsterdam Milan. Last time I saw Chris mazzei was going to his gate.. But all the flights out of Cleveland were subject to delay and/or cancellations. :(
I had to stay an extra day in Cleveland.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a great time in a quick visit to Cleveland! Got in four games. The highlight was picking up a 3D Pegasus Bridge map thanks to Jeff DeYoung's master craftsmanship!

Jeff Wasserman hosed me in '3rd RTR in the Rain'. He ran right through my fire and resid turn 1, rolling multiple 4's. Then i malf'ed my Pz3 and Pz4, rolling snakes for WCDR and boxcars for the two repair rolls. Statistically average I hear you say. John Stadick and I tried out the revised Balta scenario from the new action pack. It's a lot of fun for the German with 24 838/548, two -2 leaders and 3 FT's. An off board 105 adds a stuka-like overwatch. We didn't see how the russians had a chance. Next Stan Jackson and I tried out the old classic 'French Toast'. I lost two shermans crashing into the wood line but then my french managed to push the 10-3 led germans back out of the VC buildings. Finally I had the pleasure to catch up with Chris Mazzei of Switzerland in the Elba scenario 'First Virtue" from the new AP. I set up strong on my left to make Chris take the long road to the VC. He moved craftily the first turn, moving all his units 6-7 hexes forward into a large woods mass hardly even losing concealment. I repositioned my left flank troops to over the center with fire and Chris slowed down for a couple turns to duel with them. This cost him valuable time and he didn't quite have enough time/force to get the last few VC via exit. Nice design.

A short visit but a fun time.
Paul

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Congrats Bill. Way to kind of keep the title in NE Ohio.:) Thanks to Brett and Wild Bill and Dave G. for their hard work and contributions year after year. Already looking forward to next year!!!

Regards,

Kevin
Congrats to Bill, and all of those who made him earn it. ;)

Looking forward to our VASL game next week Kevin; the trio of PzKpfw III(Fl) less so.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It seems I have become slower over the years. I was only able to get in one game this ASLOK.

JR

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
It seems I have become slower over the years. I was only able to get in one game this ASLOK.

JR
Was there any resolution to that Suicide Creek CG I saw you playing?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Was there any resolution to that Suicide Creek CG I saw you playing?
We were in the middle of the fourth of seven CG dates when the Americans resigned. The Americans had been playing a very cautious strategy up to that point. When they threw themselves up on the wire in that fourth scenario they lost eleven squads, two 8-1, one 9-1 & one 9-2 through American turn three. There were Japanese squads rushing up from the rear to counterattack the survivors when we quit. In total the Americans lost fifteen squads out of the thirty-seven he had started with or bought. The Americans had inflicted some but not similar losses on the Japanese.

JR

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone have pictures of anything new/ in play test?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does anyone have pictures of anything new/ in play test?
All cameras were confiscated at the door. Perry was seen playtesting ASLSK Pacific, where his primary strategy seemed to be telling his befuddled ASL-playing opponent that he couldn't do that (where "that" was a clever ASL move) in Starter Kit. Or so it was related to me.

JR

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently Homeland Security confiscated the new FrF packs so we don't have those either. :mad:

Somewhere there a bunch of TSA agents playing new FrF scenarios....

JT

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apparently Homeland Security confiscated the new FrF packs so we don't have those either. :mad:

Somewhere there a bunch of TSA agents playing new FrF scenarios....

JT
You can pre-order it now from Gamers Armory.

Sadly, I don't know anyone at TSA....

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All cameras were confiscated at the door. Perry was seen playtesting ASLSK Pacific, where his primary strategy seemed to be telling his befuddled ASL-playing opponent that he couldn't do that (where "that" was a clever ASL move) in Starter Kit. Or so it was related to me.

JR
Didn't do me any good. Vince still crushed me up like a cheap suitcase.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can pre-order it now from Gamers Armory.

Sadly, I don't know anyone at TSA....
Don't you have a German Shepard you could train to sniff out A4 paper, which holds trace scents of Sweden? You could then find the box that way. (Here one imagines the warehouse from Raider of the Lost Arc and the poor dog having to work that whole place. Daunting even for a dog.)

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't you have a German Shepard you could train to sniff out A4 paper, which holds trace scents of Sweden? You could then find the box that way. (Here one imagines the warehouse from Raider of the Lost Arc and the poor dog having to work that whole place. Daunting even for a dog.)
My shepherds are middle aged to old, and would need to be refreshed with cheesey poofs and table scraps for such a mission....

Well worth it though.