ASLOK XXXII - Official TD AAR

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OMG another Taylor special lol. Anyway, I wish both Bill and Jim good luck in their game.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An All-American final as James Taylor down "The Swedish Terminator" Mattias Ronnblom in Lawless Roads. I believe that matched ended at around 4AM.

Not to be outdone, Bill Cirillo & George Tournemire dueled until ~5:30 AM in Batty-P. Bill managed to win via a carrier end run to take the buildings in the back. George managed to boxcar Yahtzee his PSW IFE/CMG combo which made the Carrier jaunt slightly easier for the Brits.

Bill Cirillo & James Taylor are currently setting up Rocket's Red Glare. James has the Americans and is setting up his attack as I type...

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just setting up @ 11? I hope they don't close the room down before they're done. May the faster player win ! Lol

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wild Bill went to the trouble of diving into the P.I.S. to see how the new APs were holding up (Allied/Axis):
  • AP121 Along the Vistula 2-1
  • AP122 Mechanized Sacrifice 3-8
  • AP123 Busting in Balta 0-2 (apparently the red headed step child of the AP)
  • AP124 Lunch in Luga 3-4
  • AP125 Ambush on South Knob 11-5
  • AP126 Maryuma Stronghold 0-5
  • AP127 First Virtue 8-14
  • AP128 Flight of Fancy 3-6
  • AP129 A Polish Battlefield 4-1
  • AP130 Magaret Morning 3-9
  • AP131 Crickets in Spring 5-4

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
An All-American final as James Taylor down "The Swedish Terminator" Mattias Ronnblom in Lawless Roads. I believe that matched ended at around 4AM.

Not to be outdone, Bill Cirillo & George Tournemire dueled until ~5:30 AM in Batty-P. Bill managed to win via a carrier end run to take the buildings in the back. George managed to boxcar Yahtzee his PSW IFE/CMG combo which made the Carrier jaunt slightly easier for the Brits.

Bill Cirillo & James Taylor are currently setting up Rocket's Red Glare. James has the Americans and is setting up his attack as I type...
A retro-Grofaz..... When is the last time the Grofaz final has gone that far back in scenario history? One with sudden death VC to boot.

Don't they usually try to pick something from the crop of scenarios published at ASLOK? Speaking of which, just what did see the light of day at this ASLOK?

Last edited:

Rockford

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many thanks to Bret & Bill. Great time, really stupid fun. I had the Americans against Mr Cirillo in Rockets Red Glare a few years back, and it took him about 12 minutes to dice up my attack. I'm installing him as the 3-2 favorite based on that. Good luck to both!

Side note: I seemed to have mistakenly picked up a piece of plexiglass that is not mine. It was leaning against the table near where I was set up all week, so I thought it was mine, but on arriving home I've discovered it is slightly larger that the one I brought out. If it belongs to you - please message me and let me know what I can do to make it right.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Side note: I seemed to have mistakenly picked up a piece of plexiglass that is not mine. It was leaning against the table near where I was set up all week, so I thought it was mine, but on arriving home I've discovered it is slightly larger that the one I brought out. If it belongs to you - please message me and let me know what I can do to make it right.
Decent chance it was just a random plexi from the "ASLOK Collection" - if so keep it, use it and bring it back next year when you arrive and all is good...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A retro-Grofaz..... When is the last time the Grofaz final has gone that far back in scenario history? One with sudden death VC to boot.

Don't they usually try to pick something from the crop of scenarios published at ASLOK? Speaking of which, just what did see the light of day at this ASLOK?
It varies from year to year on just what is played. The trend lately has been newer releases. At one point I'd compiled a list of all the scenarios played in finals over the years as we'd used it as a mini. A great Game Squad search might even reveal the thread. Probably should update it for recent years - I'll add it to my list of "should do" sometime things that never seem to actually get done.

Given Bill & James were working on no sleep, I think going with a classic that they both somewhat know is far smarter than trying to grok a new scenario on the fly while half asleep...

Only 2 new releases at this ASLOK.
  • Action Pack #13: ASL Oktoberfest XXXII - 2 new boards, 11 scenarios
  • Friendly Fire 11 - 8 new scenarios
The "reinforcing" shipment of Friendly Fire never arrived so the plan is to ship them to Scott Blanton to allow people that missed out can look to purchase them from Gamers Armory in the long term.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The final Grofaz Big Board...

Congrats to our newest Grofaz, Bill Cirillo. Bill becomes the 13th man in history to wear the Grofaz crown and is the first newly crowned Grofaz since Bob Bendis was introduced to the club in 2006. James Taylor finishes as the runner up for a heart wrenching 3rd time.

JT's Amis prepped some to soften up the German, but managed to berserk the HMG in the VC building for the Germans which did take away the 9-2 from the HMG shot. The US TD played sacrificial lamb and was attempting to VBM the near VC building. The PSK shot X'd, but the 105 collected with rate and got the shock prior to the VBM. The American 9-2 looked to move up into the VC hex, but had to weather an 8+1 and FPF 4+1 from a pinned LMG/658. The FPF snaked for a 1MC which the 9-2 promptly broke on which changed the conjecture of the final push.

That meant a collection of assorted Amis had to pile up adjacent to the VC building and weather the storm that was the Wirblewind and the HMG/658. The 9-2 could only wave. The Wirblewind hit hard but only a 2MC. Taylor rolled up a fanatic on his first roll, but the rest broke which left only a fanatic HS and wounded Hero. The Germany Zerk Heavy then reached out and touched the Americans with a 3 on the 24+2 attack resulting in a K/4 which Jim managed to Yahtzee on 3 of 4, although 2 of the 3 were broken already. The Hero didn't pass the wound check and the Fanatic failed the 4MC to end it.

Final Results:
  1. Bill Cirillo 7-0 [VA]
  2. James Taylor 6-1 [MI]
  3. Mattias Ronnblom 5-1 [Sweden]
  4. George Tournemire 5-1 [Belgium]

Attachments

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the German wins without the balance he gets 2 extra glory points. Congratulations Bill, well done !

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congrats to Bill and a hart felt congrats to Taylor. Maybe next time Jim should pull out Acts of defiance for his last grofaz game lol.

Scott