ASLOK XXXI Official TD AAR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last year Tommy and Mudge won for the first time as the Germans, who they had played for 10 years straight, making them 1-9 as the Germans.

Because they finally won, (against myself and Dave Ginnard standing in for Wes Vaughn who had gone deep in the Grofaz), they got to play the Russians this year.

Because it was clear to us after the first year that the German side is very much "unfavored" we started giving the Germans more and more balance provisions successively through Tommy's & Mudge's losing years.

When they won, the balance was reduced for the Germans, (Tommy and Mudge wanted Wes and I to "feel their pain").

So we had the following provisions:

- All Germans are SS.
- An extra 658 in the OB.
- Ammo Shortage SSR is removed.

Wes and I managed to take the "comrades" to turn 8, which is pretty good comparatively, and it was a very exciting game, but in the end our supermen fell to the horde. The *critical* moment (pun intended) was when Tommy bounding fired an IS2m at our 9-2 stack in a fortified factory location and rolled 1,1. It was an improbable hit, but Tommy confirmed it by following it up with a 1. That equated to a 36 -5 shot (the extra -1 for heavy payload)... and even though Tommy rolled an 11 on the effects DR we still suffered a 2kia which the 9-2 and a 548 squad got selected for...

Our loss means we have the Germans again next year, but we get to add the following to the above balances:
- An extra 548
- A Flame Thrower that only the German 7-0 leader (Mudge) can use.

This game was unusual in that the Russian sniper (3) was far more active than the German sniper (6). First blood went to the Russians when their sniper went off on Turn 1 and killed the 7-0 Mudge. Later, revenge was extracted when the 8-0 Cvetinovich leader was killed by the German sniper.

All told the Russian sniper killed 4 of the German leaders--- which really made it difficult for the Germans to keep up a valid defense.

Despite the loss it was one of the most enjoyable ASL experiences ever.

JT
"Feel their pain" LOLOLOL

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
3 player game - Aaron bid for the Partisan (sheep shaggers). Bill and I both bid for the British (Greek loyalists/jerks) and Bill got the SS (scum) with a hero and DC as balance.

Turn 1-3 the SS stomped on the Partisan and the loyal greeks slowly moved up towards the victory area with only a couple of shots taken or received.

Then, looking at the VC Bill said "damn those Greek jerks are going to win. I want to finish third in this tournament. Mr sheep shagger, will you please bend over one more time for me? We will stop shooting each other and move enough men in the victory area so the Greek jerks don't win. That way you get the plaque for 4th."

The perfidious sheep shaggers agreed and I was unable to break the 5 SS squads - and got pretty badly pounded trying on the 5th turn so we quit and the Scum won by CVP over the sheep shaggers leaving me forlorn, bitter and in 5th place.

Basically fun to try playing but not really competitive ASL. Live and learn.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
3 player game - Aaron bid for the Partisan (sheep shaggers). Bill and I both bid for the British (Greek loyalists/jerks) and Bill got the SS (scum) with a hero and DC as balance.

Turn 1-3 the SS stomped on the Partisan and the loyal greeks slowly moved up towards the victory area with only a couple of shots taken or received.

Then, looking at the VC Bill said "damn those Greek jerks are going to win. I want to finish third in this tournament. Mr sheep shagger, will you please bend over one more time for me? We will stop shooting each other and move enough men in the victory area so the Greek jerks don't win. That way you get the plaque for 4th."

The perfidious sheep shaggers agreed and I was unable to break the 5 SS squads - and got pretty badly pounded trying on the 5th turn so we quit and the Scum won by CVP over the sheep shaggers leaving me forlorn, bitter and in 5th place.

Basically fun to try playing but not really competitive ASL. Live and learn.
Nice!!
I have a question, how did you guys decide on a Hero and DC for the German balance?
That's a pretty serious upgrade to their OB.
I'd give the Germs an extra half-squad at most as a balance.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last year Tommy and Mudge won for the first time as the Germans, who they had played for 10 years straight, making them 1-9 as the Germans.

Because they finally won, (against myself and Dave Ginnard standing in for Wes Vaughn who had gone deep in the Grofaz), they got to play the Russians this year.

Because it was clear to us after the first year that the German side is very much "unfavored" we started giving the Germans more and more balance provisions successively through Tommy's & Mudge's losing years.

When they won, the balance was reduced for the Germans, (Tommy and Mudge wanted Wes and I to "feel their pain").

- All Germans are SS.

Wes and I managed to take the "comrades" to turn 8, which is pretty good comparatively, and it was a very exciting game, but in the end our supermen fell to the horde. The *critical* moment (pun intended) was when Tommy bounding fired an IS2m at our 9-2 stack in a fortified factory location and rolled 1,1. It was an improbable hit, but Tommy confirmed it by following it up with a 1. That equated to a 36 -5 shot (the extra -1 for heavy payload)... and even though Tommy rolled an 11 on the effects DR we still suffered a 2kia which the 9-2 and a 548 squad got selected for...

Our loss means we have the Germans again next year, but we get to add the following to the above balances:
- An extra 548

This game was unusual in that the Russian sniper (3) was far more active than the German sniper (6). First blood went to the Russians when their sniper went off on Turn 1 and killed the 7-0 Mudge. Later, revenge was extracted when the 8-0 Cvetinovich leader was killed by the German sniper.

All told the Russian sniper killed 4 of the German leaders--- which really made it difficult for the Germans to keep up a valid defense.

JT
TtLM is always epic!!!
One of my favorites for sure!!!!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard this in a friendly game: "You ******, now I have to think even harder."

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

- All Germans are SS.

- An extra 548

JT
I heard this in a friendly game: "You ******, now I have to think even harder."

I looked back in my ASLOK records and the 1st time that we played "To the Last Man" was at ASLOK 2008. Team play with Pete Mudge and Tommy Cvetinovich as the Germans vs Jim Taylor and Wes Vaughn as the Russians. Switching sides if the Russians lose This year was the 9th Annual playing. Years when Jim and I were still in the Grofaz, The "Old Man" Dave Ginard filled in for us.
"To The Last Man" ASL Scenario A - Deluxe. The Scenario favors the Russian Attacker vs the German Defender. Over the years, after every German loss, the Germans have received balance provisions of Adding a FT for the Mudge 7-0 leader only, down grading the Russian IS-2m tanks to the lower armor cousins, a Japanese 4-4-8 and DC from the German Embassy, extra SS squads, plus the original balance of all German Squads are SS and NO Ammunition Shortages.
I prepared a defense a week before ASLOK and Jim and I made some good adjustments to it and were ready to Shut down Mudge/Tommy's Bolshevik attack. Jim defended the East front on board (c) with the strong point in building E1. I defended the West side with my 9-2 (God) w/3-squads with 2-MMG's in Factory hex E1(Fortified) on board (b) with an escape tunnel leading back into the (a) K3 Factory. The 1st turn, the Russians were cautious and only one shot was taken. The next 2 turns the Russians picked up the pace, but Tommy's Russians lost 5 squads KIA'd and had to pull back and regroup. My dice were hot!! Things changed for the worse for our German defenders on Turns 4 and 5. Mudge's flamethrower started heating up and Tommy's IS-2m (Jizz) smashed into the wooden building (b) C1 and took a improbable shot at "Gods" Strong Point, and rolled a EYE's and a 1 on the improbable dr. Result,, Goodbye "God" and 1 and half SS squads and MMG KIA'd, and the other squads broken. Tommy poured through the hole into the factory. Mudge Rolled another IS-2m pig by Taylor's strong point (c) E1 Builing, Taylor hits the pig in the side with a PSK and rolls a dud (12) and Mudge rolls the tank into Hex I5 board (a) to flank my Germans in Factory K3. By this time in the game, my dice had gotten cold. Also,, Tommy's pounding Building (a) G2 with Russian 122 OBA,, by the way,, Tommy draws 4 black cards and only 1 red card for the Russian OBA during the game. By the last turn (8) Taylor's Strong point (c) E1 held out strong with my 2-victory point buildings (a)G2 and C3. Our last hold out, 2-vp building -(a)M5/N4, Taylor had a strong defense with 2- 5-4-8's on the ground level's and 2- half squads on the 1st levels. Mudge pressed the East side of the building with several elite squads and the Russian 9-2 leader, while Tommy pressed the West side with IS-2m's. Taylor's dice started to heat up with MC's and it looked like we may hold out. Tommy started up his bogged IS-2m in with a 4mp start while I broke 2 PSK's with 11's and missed PF shots vs the pig,, Tommy rolled the pig into hex (a)M4 and rolled an EYES with his CMG shot to take down one of Jim's 5-4-8's and then rolled a 3 with his MA 122 shot against the 2-3-8 HS upstairs. Then,, Tommy rolled another 3 with his fire from his squads to take down the other 5-4-8. All of the Germans broke or were KIA'd and were eliminated for failure to rout. The Russians advanced in for the win. We fought it to the last man.
Another Great game of "To The Last Man" at ASLOK.
Taylor and I are already bargaining for the German balance for next year. Mudge/Tommy C don't stand a chance!!!!!

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes,, Losing the 4 German leaders to Sniper attacks devastated our defense.

- All Germans are SS.

- An extra 548

JT[

- All Germans are SS.

- An extra 548

JT
Yes,,, Losing the 4 German leaders to Sniper attacks was devastating to our German defense.

wesvaughn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to give Bret a special "Thank You" for hosting ASLOK for another great year. Beer was on the house a couple evenings to kick things off, Also, Great pizza feast on Saturday night, Paid for by Bret. The Hotel was in the middle of restoration, but it wasn't no big deal for me. We're there to play ASL!
I'm sure the Hotel will be 100% ready to go for next year. Congrat's to Steve Pleva for ANOTHER Grofaz win.
Can't wait till next year!!!!

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
None of us knew the 3 player beast of a scenario so we determined up front that if all 3 bid the same we would give the listed balance to the player who got the wrong side. I am pretty sure it was a hero and DC but might have just been the hero. In any case the Scum had ~ 18 CVP, the sheep shaggers had 7 and the proud jerks had 5 (2 of them from killing a sheep shagger squad).

Since I would have won with ~13.5 squads in the VP area the two perfidious heathens teamed up to ignore each other for turns 4-6 and moved all of their men into the victory area preventing my win and preserving their CVP lead.

Fun game, but not really competitive ASL for a major tournament placement.

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was a truly amazing ASLOK.

Had 22 games over 9 Days, + a morning and an evening.
Brett and Bill (and Dave Ginnard) are the most self sacrificing and wonderful hosts one could want.
All are welcome and embraced.

We are so fortunate to have the game and the people who love it, to be able to embrace it fully.

All hail ASLOK (and ASL)!!

This production has been bought to you courtesy of 4 pints of eclectic Great Lakes Brewing company beer at John Hopkins International Airport!

(A Nosferatu (Deep Red ALe), an Eliot Ness Amber, an Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, and a Commodore Perry IPA)
FYI. Elliot Ness was a Roaring Twenties crime fighter. The Edmund Fitzgerald was a Great Lakes freighter that sank in a storm on it's way to Cleveland ( the song always makes me cry ). Commodore Perry Was a US naval officer who foughtbthev
None of us knew the 3 player beast of a scenario so we determined up front that if all 3 bid the same we would give the listed balance to the player who got the wrong side. I am pretty sure it was a hero and DC but might have just been the hero. In any case the Scum had ~ 18 CVP, the sheep shaggers had 7 and the proud jerks had 5 (2 of them from killing a sheep shagger squad).

Since I would have won with ~13.5 squads in the VP area the two perfidious heathens teamed up to ignore each other for turns 4-6 and moved all of their men into the victory area preventing my win and preserving their CVP lead.

Fun game, but not really competitive ASL for a major tournament placement.
And that's what ASLOK is for!

Well I thought I never posted the history behind beer names but there you are.

We always wanted Oktoberfest to be a place where you could play a " non-tournament " kind of game. It worked out that way and I'm glad it did.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

- All Germans are SS.

- An extra 548

JT
How many more losses until the Japanese DC Hero makes an appearance?

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I looked after I posted that.
I've never used the balance.
I was kind of surprised that there wasn't some type of bid mechanism for sides like that used in Dogs of War, so I suggested that we used something similar to that for selecting sides in Whom Gods Destroy. We each secretly recorded our prioritized choice of sides, one through three. As John noted, Aaron was the lone ELAS bidder, while John and I both bid Greek Loyalists (Brit). I lost the ensuing die roll and ended up with the SS and the printed balance, which considering the SS were the last choice for all three of us seemed fair to all of us.

If we all had had a better understanding of the scenario, we could have also bid the number of CVPs we were willing to give up to get a side, but that would have required a much deeper appreciation of the flow of the scenario, which none of us clearly had.

Bill

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was kind of surprised that there wasn't some type of bid mechanism for sides like that used in Dogs of War, so I suggested that we used something similar to that for selecting sides in Whom Gods Destroy. We each secretly recorded our prioritized choice of sides, one through three. As John noted, Aaron was the lone ELAS bidder, while John and I both bid Greek Loyalists (Brit). I lost the ensuing die roll and ended up with the SS and the printed balance, which considering the SS were the last choice for all three of us seemed fair to all of us.

Bill
In the playtest phase, I thought maybe a victory points bidding for sides system would've been interesting. I didn't get around to implementing it.
The other idea was to randomly determine which side came in where, and in which order. I figured it'd give the scenario some more replay value.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gratz to Steve who is a class act for sure and of course all the others who tried to valiantly stand in his way. Doubt there is much anyone can do to stop that steamroller, and I will probably never earn the chance to even try. Looks like Steve had some tough matches along the way and I am sure everyone made him earn the win.

Hoping all good health and best wishes until the next throw-down!