ASLOK XXIII - October 5th thru 12th, 2008

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASLOK flyers went in the mail yesterday, with 2 months to spare; so if you want to avoid the mailing rush and get in that one specific mini, now's an excellent time to pre-reg. We're up to 49 pre-registers at the moment (48 of which are listed on the pre-reg page at the ASLOK site) which is slightly fewer than last year, but ahead of '04 and '05 at this time of the year. Should be another solid attendance year well over 100 I'd imagine...

ASLOK Reforms (or slight changes we're making to hopefully enhance the ASLOK experience):
  • The Hotel - do note the change in venue - ASLOK has finally moved to the Holiday Inn Airport.
  • Thursday Minis - Now first round wins will count towards the Grofaz. In the past, if you were looking towards the Grofaz it was likely better to lose your opening mini game than lose your 2nd and be 0-0 on Thursday evening. With this reform, that first round win now counts so you're 1-0 with time to spare to get to 2-0 on Thursday. As before mini losses on Thursday don't count & a win in the finals does not count either.
  • Mini Scenario Lists - In the past the mini scenario lists have been closely held ASLOK secrets, but this year we'll experiment with publishing them a week or two prior to ASLOK. The goal is to provide people with a potential packing list if they so choose without me having to compile one for each mini by hand.
  • An ASL Starter Kit mini will be offered on Saturday to continue ASLOK's tradition of embracing new players of the game with Maneuvers.
The new hotel is:​

HOLIDAY INN AIRPORT
[New Hotel Location!!!]
4181 W. 150th St.
CLEVELAND, OHIO 44135
216-252-7700 FAX: 216-252-3850
www.holidayinn.com/cle-airport
[Use group booking code “OKT” when calling or on-line @$75/ directly via:
http://events.ichotelsgroup.com/DPRD-7AYRUH/CLEAT]

If you run into issues with our room block being out, drop me an email and I'll contact the hotel. There was one issue with our block being full on Sunday the 12th which has now been expanded.

A few notes about the new hotel:
  • Low room rate of $75 per night - note the Hotel has fewer rooms than in past years so please make sure to book your rooms now as the hotel may be sold out plus you need to book my mid-September to guarantee our room rate.​

• Complementary “enhanced” continental breakfast w/room.
  • Free 24 hour airport shuttle (which will also drop off locally).
  • A 20% discount at the hotel restaurant for food with a kitchen open all day thru 11 PM. The hotel is strongly trying to encourage dining at the hotel so they've also discussed offering sandwiches etc. which are convenient.
  • RTA adjacent (rail system access to downtown Cleveland).
  • Gaming space is the 6th floor “Penthouse” convention space (Skyline Ballroom) which we'll have all to ourselves complete with a lounge reception area with TV and cash bar.
  • NOTE: We need to provide times for the bar to operate at some point - if you have suggestions on when you think we could keep a bartender busy throughout the week, don't hesitate to offer them up.
  • Please note that given the hotel will have an operating bar, we won't be able to be quite as free with the outside alcohol as in the past couple years - please refrain from bringing in outside drinks as much as possible.
  • As in past years we'll have a Hospitality Suite (in recent years it's mostly been used for the Critical Hit hosted party) - it happens to be on the 5th floor at this hotel which is also the Smoking Floor (which is the only floor in the hotel you can legally smoke in). We've been debating the merits of bringing back the Smoking Wreck Room as an option for some part of the week. If you have views, please share.
The pre-reg form is attached and also available at http://www.aslok.org/prereg.html although with PayPal buttons for Tourney Fee and T-Shirts.

If you have any questions, please drop me an email...

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Mini Scenario Lists - In the past the mini scenario lists have been closely held ASLOK secrets, but this year we'll experiment with publishing them a week or two prior to ASLOK. The goal is to provide people with a potential packing list if they so choose without me having to compile one for each mini by hand.
I for one like this change, not that it mattered much to me as I am usually a "fill in a spot" mini guy, but I like knowing ahead of time what is being played in a mini. Sort of solves the problem with digging out the copies/cards and looking at them to decide what to play. I'll just have them ready.

Thanks for all the hard work

Peace

roger

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ditto what Roger said. We travelers who have to scrounge around for scenario cards appreciate that.

Looking forward to another great ASLOK.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Ditto what Roger said. We travelers who have to scrounge around for scenario cards appreciate that.

Looking forward to another great ASLOK.

Cheers!
I agree with Roger and Houllie too. Saves a lot of scenario searching time too and for once I don't have to search for scenarios and can bring some.

And I might prepare a last-turn victory again against Houllie like that time we played Tangled up in Blue :p

Hennie

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And I might prepare a last-turn victory again against Houllie like that time we played Tangled up in Blue :p

Hennie

...M...mmuu...Muust..get...revenge!

What a great close game that was! Two lessons I will never forget: Keep track of dummies and re-read the scenario card a few times throughout the game!

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a gonna crap out again:cry:....Maybe see you all at the open in APRIL.:)

Last edited:

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's the idea with publishing the lists slightly in advance - give people just enough time to pull scenarios/kit, but not enough time to play all the scenarios involved...

The big presumption here is that I'll have my act together enough to have the scenario lists done by the end of September of course. :(

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Once again there were reports of the ASLOK Block being booked on certain nights (this time it was Sunday the 5th). As a result, I contacted the hotel and the room blocks have been expanded. Via the web page, our room rate is working for the 5th thru the 12th now...

Also I asked about the hotel policy on adults per room and the limit is 5 adults at no extra cost.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Once again there were reports of the ASLOK Block being booked on certain nights (this time it was Sunday the 5th). As a result, I contacted the hotel and the room blocks have been expanded. Via the web page, our room rate is working for the 5th thru the 12th now...

Also I asked about the hotel policy on adults per room and the limit is 5 adults at no extra cost.
My wife called yesterday and booked our room with no problem.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like some nice changes. The 'construction' was a little disappointing last year and I hope the new hotel is better for everyone.

I doubt I will make it, so the rules questions will be at a minimum this year. :p

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Unfortunately no ASLOK for me this year :upset::upset:

Get your victories elsewhere! :p:p

I hope to be back "one day"

Good Luck everyone, say hi to the Damons girls for me (if anyone goes there). :D:D

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Good Luck everyone, say hi to the Damons girls for me (if anyone goes there). :D:D

New hotel is a few miles away. No more Damon's (Unless someone drives)

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Sounds like some nice changes. The 'construction' was a little disappointing last year and I hope the new hotel is better for everyone.

I doubt I will make it, so the rules questions will be at a minimum this year. :p
I'm going to miss the foxhole they were digging in the basement last year. Bret, are we allowed to dig our own ones in the new hotel?:nuts::drink: Please

Steven Linton

Maniac with keyboard
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

You mean its all up to Bruce?

Oh dear.

:OHNO:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm going to miss the foxhole they were digging in the basement last year. Bret, are we allowed to dig our own ones in the new hotel?:nuts::drink: Please
For all the time they had, they didn't get very far, how about a competition - ASLers vs non-ASLers :nuts::nuts:

Run it like a "meet and greet" type event - team building and all that stuff :nuts:

Or....as an extra element to the "USA vs "The World"

get digging!

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My wife called yesterday and booked our room with no problem.
but you didn't mention she had to use a pseudonym(whatever that means):p

How many kin folk are ya bringin'? :laugh:

Sam is a hell of a guy :clown:

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
but you didn't mention she had to use a pseudonym(whatever that means):p

How many kin folk are ya bringin'? :laugh:

Sam is a hell of a guy :clown:
Wife and the kids are coming with me. My brother is talking about coming but I never know when he'll change his mind.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Wife and the kids are coming with me. My brother is talking about coming but I never know when he'll change his mind.
Does your brother play ASL? or is he coming to keep the wife and kids company as you sit aruond and BS ('cause heaven forbid you paly some ASL:clown:)?

Peace

roger

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Does your brother play ASL? or is he coming to keep the wife and kids company as you sit aruond and BS ('cause heaven forbid you paly some ASL:clown:)?

Peace

roger
He doesn't play. I have no earthly reason why he and his boyfriend may show up (if they do). He kept saying Cincy and I kept telling him CLE. What the hell is in Cincy or Cleveland anyway? Wife is going up to visit a friend in the area she knows on the net.