ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not really if the virtual angle is pursued. I can see it as an idea for VASL tournaments. No shipping hassles for the TD and the " attendee " picks out the color and style of shirt, hat, underwear, whatever from wherever he has it made.
This concept would rely on the honor system to preclude people printing up more than one item from one virtual " shirt " purchased. I trust most of the ASL community are honest people and wouldn't jick the TD.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just get a bowl that fits over your head, a pair of scissors and go for the Moe look from the Three Stooges. I used to have Larry style hair but now much more like Curley.
I am happy to still have my hair (mostly) and truth be told I probably spent more on pomade this year than on ASL stuff....the release of Orsogna might change that....

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fishers will attack a small dog or cat (if clawed and defenseless), but only if very hungry as the chance of damage is too great. Fishers are not of the cat family, as mentioned earlier they are relatives of weasel and weight about 8 pounds.

Squirrels are the normal prey as fishers are actually faster than squirrels on a tree and present an ample food source with little risk.

They will eat carrion, so many animal remains have been found in its den. Coyotes and wolves prey upon fishers, which are primarily nocturnal hunters.

There have been recorded attacks by fishers on humans, usually bites in feet.

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Why would anyone want a T-Shirt for an event that won't be held? This will be a pain for Brett to organize. He has a job, a family, and probably better things to do. ASLOK for 2020 is over. Deal with it.
I gotta agree........ I am certain there are online vendors who would handle the work, but that drives costs up, drives down profit margin, and I have to ask myself, "what is the point?".........

As with everything in 2020, ASLOK is almost certainly canceled. It sucks. Hard. But I am used to 2020 sucking at this point.

<SHRUG> I paid my registration and bought a shirt. If the hotel plays hard ball I consider it a donation to the cause. If not, I am paid up for next year.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out why Brett would put all the work in to do a shirt order or an event that is not happening.

Peace

Roger

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I gotta agree........ I am certain there are online vendors who would handle the work, but that drives costs up, drives down profit margin, and I have to ask myself, "what is the point?".........
It doesn't cost anything if you use an on demand service.

But for the life of me, I cannot figure out why Brett would put all the work in to do a shirt order or an event that is not happening.
If the artwork for the t-shirts is already done, it's zero work beyond submitting the design to the on-demand shop.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It doesn't cost anything if you use an on demand service.

If the artwork for the t-shirts is already done, it's zero work beyond submitting the design to the on-demand shop.

View attachment 13959
Look I'm not a techno guy but this seems relatively simple. I really liked the " my heart went to Cleveland " shirt.

Everything is pretty crappy right now. I'm all for any levity that can help lighten the situation. A shirt or whatever is fine with me. Also liked the medic angle.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Brett working with an online vendor to handle things is one thing. But Brett doing all the ordering, sorting, and shipping of a bunch of shirts just to make a couple hundred bucks profit is another (and in my opinion a lot to ask).

Reminds me of something a co worker gave me for my office: "Nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it".........?

Peace

Roger

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Brett working with an online vendor to handle things is one thing. But Brett doing all the ordering, sorting, and shipping of a bunch of shirts just to make a couple hundred bucks profit is another (and in my opinion a lot to ask).

Reminds me of something a co worker gave me for my office: "Nothing is impossible for those who don't have to do it".........?

Peace

Roger
For online stuff, Brett doesn't really need to do anything. If he has the graphic already, and the designer is cool with it, make it available to interested individuals, and let them make their own arrangements for getting it printed on whatever shirt/hoodie/thong they so desire. If the designer needs to get paid for their work (which is a reasonable expectation), then set a price for receiving the graphic file (and it's the honour system that it doesn't get shared freely, robbing the designer of their fee).

My two cents.

PS If a graphic hasn't yet been chosen, then let the competition begin!

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Who is Brett?

As pointed out multiple times, Bret wouldn't have to do any of the things you mentioned. None of them.

He wouldn't have to take any orders.

He wouldn't have to do any ordering.

He wouldn't have to receive anything.

He wouldn't have to sort anything.

He wouldn't have to collate anything.

He wouldn't have to address anything.

He wouldn't have to package anything.

He wouldn't have to send anything.

He wouldn't have to mail anything.

He wouldn't have to do anything.

He uploads a design to a print on demand site, and the generous masses then send in their money. Bret gets a couple of bucks for the tourney, the masses get something tangible.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kent has a black squirrel population with several urban legends how they got here. Haven't seen any bobcats.
Urban Legends? I'd always heard they were imported from Kent, England where they had prospered due to camouflage in the heavy soot environment? Is that one of the urban legends?

We have a bunch of them here around 20 miles North of Kent State - I'd probably say they are on par with the brown squirrel population roughly in our backyard...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Urban Legends? I'd always heard they were imported from Kent, England where they had prospered due to camouflage in the heavy soot environment? Is that one of the urban legends?

We have a bunch of them here around 20 miles North of Kent State - I'd probably say they are on par with the brown squirrel population roughly in our backyard...
Bret I've heard similar accounts about a pair brought in from Canada. Blending in with the soot is a new one. The KSU paper had an article a few years ago about the origins and myths of the little buggers, can't remember their conclusions. They do seem to be spreading out though.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Bret I've heard similar accounts about a pair brought in from Canada. Blending in with the soot is a new one. The KSU paper had an article a few years ago about the origins and myths of the little buggers, can't remember their conclusions. They do seem to be spreading out though.
The Google says 10 were brought from Canada in 1961 and released by a KSU groundskeeper and an employee of Davey Tree. Another Google entry says they were brought from Chardon, Ohio. KSU has them as their unofficial mascot.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's an article that talks about the Canada connection:
October2013.pdf

Funny that references he saw them in Chardon, but they were dying off and then imported them from Canada.

Here's another link from the PD with a consistent account: https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2011/01/kent_state_university_celebrat.html

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And on T-Shirts, which is frankly far less interesting than Black Squirrels, I reached out to our T-Shirt Vendor to see if they can offer an online experience that minimizes my overhead. We will see what they offer, and the added costs, but it may be a reasonable middle ground to pursue for this year...

And hopefully my normal contacts are in place and have not been disrupted by the pandemic, but at least the store is still open it seems...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And on T-Shirts, which is frankly far less interesting than Black Squirrels, I reached out to our T-Shirt Vendor to see if they can offer an online experience that minimizes my overhead. We will see what they offer, and the added costs, but it may be a reasonable middle ground to pursue for this year...

And hopefully my normal contacts are in place and have not been disrupted by the pandemic, but at least the store is still open it seems...
Hmmm, I was kinda hoping to get the graphic to print out on a thong. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.