ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Blanton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not shirts? I'm sure they would sell.
Shirts would then have to be shipped. Not sure if Bret and the guys would be setup or have the time to ship 150+ t-shirts to people. There would also be additional cost in postage to everyone who wants one.

Not wanting to speak for Bret, these are just my thoughts.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Shirts would then have to be shipped. Not sure if Bret and the guys would be setup or have the time to ship 150+ t-shirts to people. There would also be additional cost in postage to everyone who wants one.

I'd be happy to pick mine up in 2021.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States

I would have no problem paying for the shipping and adding in a little additional.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Yes this could be a major hassle for two guys that already have enough to deal with. Still if they could use the money it might be an option.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes this could be a major hassle for two guys that already have enough to deal with. Still if they could use the money it might be an option.
Well, they could spend one week trying to ride herd over 100+ middle-aged men with body care issues ( :) ) in a confined space, or spend a week mailing out shirts. ?

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott has it right - shipping is a major hassle suddenly. Realistically I'd probably need to double the costs of the T's to have it make sense as I'll owe $5 for postage plus the time/supply cost to pack/ship each one. And to be honest, we don't really make any $ off the T's currently - it's more a break even endeavor - which is perfectly fine in a normal year - but a lot more hassle if dealing with shipping.

We'll see on the T's - there's a lot to consider if we're transitioning to a virtual experience...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Scott has it right - shipping is a major hassle suddenly. Realistically I'd probably need to double the costs of the T's to have it make sense as I'll owe $5 for postage plus the time/supply cost to pack/ship each one. And to be honest, we don't really make any $ off the T's currently - it's more a break even endeavor - which is perfectly fine in a normal year - but a lot more hassle if dealing with shipping.

We'll see on the T's - there's a lot to consider if we're transitioning to a virtual experience...
Yes, Fish never made much selling the shirts. Just a cool souvenir.

How about a virtual shirt?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, Fish never made much selling the shirts. Just a cool souvenir.

How about a virtual shirt?
I was just trying to be funny about the virtual shirt but as I thought about it some it may not be that silly.
If the graphics were emailed couldn't the recipient have his own shirt made? Just a thought. Would save Bret and Wild Bill alot of hassle and still generate some funds.
Not a techno guy so don't know the downside to this idea.

Captain Bacchus isn't here yet so I can't blame him for this idea.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If the graphics were emailed couldn't the recipient have his own shirt made?
Staples sells iron on material that you can run through a standard desktop printer. You cut out whatever you printed, and iron it on. They are reasonably durable for washing machine use, but from what footsteps says, that probably doesn't need to be a consideration.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
There are a lot of places online that will let you upload a design and then sell and ship t-shirts. The store I worked at does it all the time for shirts they need for events or staff. Then people can order the size and colour they want and you just get a cut with no fuss.

I can see if I can find out who they use if you are interested

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
There are a lot of places online that will let you upload a design and then sell and ship t-shirts. The store I worked at does it all the time for shirts they need for events or staff. Then people can order the size and colour they want and you just get a cut with no fuss.

I can see if I can find out who they use if you are interested
This is a bad time for trying to mail stuff internationally.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the idea was to generate a little extra money for the kitty for the next event. Not a terrible idea.
It is a terrible idea. Brett will have to collate orders, get the shirts, prepare shipments, etc....all on his own time. He has a PayPal account. If you want to help him out send some money his way. But this T-Shirt idea is nonsense.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It is a terrible idea. Brett will have to collate orders, get the shirts, prepare shipments, etc....all on his own time. He has a PayPal account. If you want to help him out send some money his way. But this T-Shirt idea is nonsense.
Seems like a pretty standard fund raising idea to me, but I have no real dog in the fight.

https://doublethedonation.com/tips/t-shirt-fundraising-platforms/

https://www.bonfire.com/fundraising/

https://www.customink.com/fundraising

https://www.designhill.com/design-blog/top-t-shirt-fundraising-platforms-for-unbelievable-results/

https://www.fundraising.com/products/t-shirts

https://nonprofithub.org/featured/t-shirt-fundraising-a-new-take-on-crowdfunding/

https://www.createmytee.com/Designs/Charities-Fundraisers/Charities-Fundraisers/

You may be interested in one of these. :) 13942

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I believe the idea was to generate a little extra money for the kitty for the next event. Not a terrible idea.
Always can use extra funds at an event.
Why would anyone want a T-Shirt for an event that won't be held? This will be a pain for Brett to organize. He has a job, a family, and probably better things to do. ASLOK for 2020 is over. Deal with it.
A reasonable question. I have a picture of a Bugatti Veyron on my wall, a car I will most likely never drive. People are funny animals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.