ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
At times, even grown up people need to be told what to do. When necessary to do so, rational leadership is an invaluable advantage, though. As is the readiness to accept other views even if one does not fully agree with them.
If you're going to accept other's views even if you don't fully agree with them, then you have to accept some aren't going to do the right thing. I accept they aren't. I won't tell a grown person how to behave when it comes to something like this. If it isn't a law, they have the right to abide by it or not. It sucks, but that's the way it is. All we can do is try to convince people they are not seeing it right. Rational leadership has a much better chance of convincing people through the trust they have earned with the public at large. That trust might negate the need for law. America is too divided for trust. The people manipulating the US and UK through social media and weaponize marketing have seen to that. -- jim

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Even in Germany, there are some rules regarding Covid that might be questioned. Yet I do accept them because if anyone would do as he pleased the situation would certainly be worse than if everyone follows basically sound rules even if they are imperfect.
Ordnung muss sein....

Americans don't like to be told that....as much as it is part of your country's national makeup, the opposite is true for them.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At times, even grown up people need to be told what to do. When necessary to do so, rational leadership is an invaluable advantage, though. As is the readiness to accept other views even if one does not fully agree with them
Rationale leadership is in very short supply in the USA. I watched my Governor march with protesters sans mask and social distance 2 weeks ago because he thought it was important. Note that this was contrary to his existing guidance. That was not a rational decision on his part, sets a very poor example, and makes it even more difficult for some people to follow rational policies he implements. Practice what you preach. Now we have a spike in infections in our state and he has mandated masks in ALL public places and delayed re-openings.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ordnung muss sein....

Americans don't like to be told that....as much as it is part of your country's national makeup, the opposite is true for them.
There is a saying outside the US that Americans have a knack of doing it wrong in every conceivable way before they finally get it right. I say this without comment this way or the other. Of course, you can also do things wrong with astonishing efficiency and impeccable order...

In any case, let's just hope for the benefit of all to get things right ASAP.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There is a saying outside the US that Americans have a knack of doing it wrong in every conceivable way before they finally get it right. I say this without comment this way or the other. Of course, you can also do things wrong with astonishing efficiency and impeccable order...
There is no innovation if you always do it the same way. Sadly, this knife cuts both ways. -- jim

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Just so if you are interested in collecting data, I took 3 days off to attend DC Human Wave VASL tourney (and earlier CASLO on VASL). It's been a blast and I made new friend whom I will be engaging later on...
That's cool. To be clear, I take time off all the time to game :D I just would not take time off to VASL. But I already play VASSAL twice a week, so I get my fill.

Peace

Roger

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I watched my Governor march with protesters sans mask and social distance 2 weeks ago because he thought it was important. Note that this was contrary to his existing guidance.
Of course. The mask would interfere with the photo opp. Politicians. Do as I say, not as I do.

Last edited:

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bret.

I will happily register and buy two shirts (like last year) to help sustain ASLOK, might even buy a night to help the hotel and your continuing relationship to it.

However, not going to make it this year.
1. Like many I'm out of work for the time being, largely due to the plague.
Even if I go back to work in July-August which seems likely now, seems uncertain for how long
- don't think its clear what the economic prospects are even in the next few months.

2. Like many here I've got several risk factors for this virus.
I'm of the school "Though shalt not tempt the lord thigh god" take that philosophically if you don't like the religion.

3. For a number of reasons not getting sick is a matter of survival, see 1 and 2.

As they say "its a free country", but based on the surge happening right now in cases and level of public "discipline" I see everyday and read about, reality in several months is clearly uncertain and fluid by the week - it seems likely the pandemic is going to be out of control and worse than it is now in October. It's bad enough finding out how our community has lost another one, but it sure would suck reading about multiple casualties from the ASLOK event.

As my DIVARTY XO used to say "Hope is not a method".

I have well and truly come to terms with the concept that my best course of action may not be what I want to do. That sucks, but that's life.

Whatever everyone does, hope they stay safe and don't get this.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please stick to ASL health issues with minimal partisan politics.
Call ASLOK a f$&king anti-police protest and your problem is solved. No one will criticize you and amazingly, the virus will stay away from the attendees. There. Problems solved.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I have registered, etc. but will leave it up to Bret and Bill to make the call. Our group's health/age profile makes holding this event fairly dangerous should someone in attendance have an active case of Covid.

I do not know the economics of ASLOK but room reservations give the organizers the ballroom for a substantial discount so if few come, it could be quite costly.

One thing of have gotten out of not being able to attend ASL events beginning in March is to appreciate those face-to-face games with a couple of friends in my area. I savor each one these days and trust my opponents and myself can stay virus free to continue to enjoy ASL.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Move to Germany. They are far cheaper than they are in the US (which isn't to say they are cheap ;)). I bought my M2 fully loaded for $53K. In the US, it would have run me more than $75K, and in DC--where I lived--it would have likely been between $80K - $85K. That also includes shipping back to the US when I leave (chose from 5 ports, Baltimore and Norfolk are on that list). It has ~410 horsepower and will go 0 - 60 in < 5 seconds. It's not quite as fast as the Mustang I sold when leaving the US, but it corners like it's glued to the road. :) -- jim
About the only thing I could have shipped back to the USA after many years in Eastern Europe would have been a Fiatski or worse. A GAZ jeep might have been the ticket but I am not a car nut.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think encouraging older people to get close to each other indoors for long periods of time during this pandemic before a vaccine or effective therapeutics are available is not only irresponsible, but approaches criminal endangerment.

I think older people going to such an event just to play a stupid board game that can be played virtually are criminally stupid as well since they not only endanger themselves but their families and friends.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
(I had no intention of attending any ASL tournament this year, so take my "won't attend ASLOK" answer with a grain of salt)

I have to admit, some of the suggestions made here regarding the handling of counters in a FtF game would almost be enough to make me ask for a VASL tournament instead. At some point, too many restrictions just show it's not considered safe to hold your meeting.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The EU is considering adopting the slogan of "Yankee stay home", so re-entering the EU may become sticky for EU attendees.

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I think encouraging older people to get close to each other indoors for long periods of time during this pandemic before a vaccine or effective therapeutics are available is not only irresponsible, but approaches criminal endangerment.

I think older people going to such an event just to play a stupid board game that can be played virtually are criminally stupid as well since they not only endanger themselves but their families and friends.
You deserve the following answer: just the first 6 seconds ....

Status
Not open for further replies.