ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I have received some complaints / reports. Some posts have a bit of politics encroaching into the thread and a few have become personal. Keep the replies about attending ASLOK and less about personal perceptions with the attending arguments and (conflicting) facts of COVID 19, news coverage, and politics / government responses to the pandemic.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
I don't have the virus, therefore it's a non-issue.
Even if you did it takes up to two weeks for you to show symptoms. During which time you are contagious.

You could have it now and not know it.

This is why public health officials are stressing the importance of wearing masks.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The question for Bret and Bill is whether they are able to run/afford the event at this size/scale, manage any COVID-related sensitivities/issues and still have fun.
No, the question is whether or not they are willing to endanger the health and even lives of attendees and people with whom infected attendees may subsequently come into contact with.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No, the question is whether or not they are willing to endanger the health and even lives of attendees and people with whom infected attendees may subsequently come into contact with.
Every time you get in your car you have to ask yourself if you are willing to endanger the health and even lives of other road users, Mark.

Clearly you consider that an acceptable risk, about 300 days a year?

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
That's not fair. If the organisers are allowed to run the thing then responsibility is on those individuals who attend. That's assuming the organisers aren't completely negligent and adhere to any rules/laws incumbent. If a 747 went down over the Atlantic with the Euro contingent on it, is that the organisers' fault for inviting them to attend?

As someone in a dilemma (and really appreciating the points made throughout this thread) because I run a tournament over here in the UK in November then it's not helpful to suggest that I'd be culpable IF something went wrong at my tournament. In fact, if people generally felt that way then it would be the end of my tournament completely. Why would I risk someone pointing the finger at me if something went wrong for someone at my tournament, EVER ??

What your approach does make me think though is that I should have everyone wishing to attend Bounding Fire Blackpool in November sign a legal disclaimer. Which I feel is a shame. But perhaps necessary.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
How bad is your driving?
That wasn't the point. (EDIT per later discussion) The benefits and freedoms of unrestricted automobile usage are thought to outweigh the public safety benefits of banning them.

Could also talk about mandatory helmet wear for automobile drivers.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
As entertaining and varied as all these posts are I really would like people to come up with ideas to help Bret and Wild Bill make this ASLOk a fun and safe gathering for all who choose to attend. There have been some good suggestions, keep working on it.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I have absolutely no desire to sit in front of a computer to play ASL.
Dispatches would have died when Tom Morin moved IF we did not have VASL and computers.

I felt that way at first but quickly kicked the only ftf ASL habit and me and Tom and others have been playing and having a TON of ASL Fun via VASL ever since. Too bad for you, it is not that hard nor at all difficult and keeps you in touch with remote friends, especially in a pandemic. I still love ftf and prefer it but also will do VASL in a heartbeat.

Not too much to dislike, other than the dice-bot which can get streaky at times, but well worth breaking down and giving it a try, Vic.

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I understand and respect people's opinions that they would rather do a FTF ASLOK over a VASL version. I do think, though, that there'd be a good amount of interest in such a thing. Not that Bret is beholden to do it, but in these times, it's not as wild an idea as it once was.
Totally agree a real ftf ASLOK would be best, no doubt, but if not a virtual ASLOK via VASL would not be a bad thing.

VASL will help keep the hobby going through these very difficult times and for those isolated are a life preserver for game action.

Well worth a try if you have not already, Vic.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was planning to attend this year, but I echo the concerns over cross-border travel restrictions that may prevent this year's attendance from happening. But I will keep my fingers crossed.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"I have received some complaints / reports. Some posts have a bit of politics encroaching into the thread and a few have become personal. Keep the replies about attending ASLOK and less about personal perceptions with the attending arguments and (conflicting) facts of COVID 19, news coverage, and politics / government responses to the pandemic."--RandyT0001

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I don't have the virus, therefore it's a non-issue.
You believe you don't have the virus but you don't know for sure. It can take as much as two weeks for symptoms to present themselves, all the while you could be passing along the disease. Even if you're tested today, your test can be a false negative depending on how close your test is to your infection.

That's what you really need to know. Better, yet, you need to at least admit to yourself. -- jim

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As entertaining and varied as all these posts are I really would like people to come up with ideas to help Bret and Wild Bill make this ASLOk a fun and safe gathering for all who choose to attend. There have been some good suggestions, keep working on it.
Hand Gel Dispensers (hgD) should be available at several corners of the room.

At registration, players receive not the traditional tag, but a chair with a sticker on it with their name. They keep the chair along with them throughout the event.

(that said, facemasks or similar devices are the most important step)

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every time you get in your car you have to ask yourself if you are willing to endanger the health and even lives of other road users, Mark.

Clearly you consider that an acceptable risk, about 300 days a year?
That is such a nonsense response. What public health official is out there saying right now it's just fine and dandy to put yourself in an enclosed space filled with people in close proximity to you for days at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.