ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have attended 32 straight ASLOKs. ASLOK is more than a tournament. ASLOK is a celebration of the game and comraderie of a group of like minded individuals. I am also in what is considered to be in the "high risk" health group being almost 70 and a heavy smoker. I refuse to live what is left of my time in fear of this virus or any other thing that comes down the pike. However, I respect the fear that others might have concerning the virus. If ASLOK is not held this year, I will understand. I hope that is not the case. I am for holding it with no restrictions. I have never had any interest in playing VASL or any other computer games as gaming to me is as much a social interaction as it is a game. I have the utmost respect for Bret and support whatever decision he comes to. I believe the world cup will be a no go as it seems most of the non USA players will be heavily restricted and therefore unable to attend. This will result in an extremely low early attendance and probably bring the tournament back to its original four day format. To me this is the equivalent of reducing a baseball game from 9 to 5 innings. I am not sure how many people would attend a five inning game. So if held, I will be there. If not, I will miss you all.
Dave,
You smoke? ?.
Bill

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

Then there is the ever persistent "mask" issue. While I do not understand why everyone gets so jolted out of whack about wearing a mask while in stores and such, I am not certain I want to wear mask for a week.
One of the reasons many workplaces are using these light face shields instead. Not as uncomfortable, so people actually WEAR them more .

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand and respect people's opinions that they would rather do a FTF ASLOK over a VASL version. I do think, though, that there'd be a good amount of interest in such a thing. Not that Bret is beholden to do it, but in these times, it's not as wild an idea as it once was.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the poll and opinions expressed are fairly easy to interpret.

About one third of people say they would attend, if the event was held.

About one third of the people say they will not attend, due to COVID-19 conditions/perceived risk.

About one third of the people say they would wait and see what conditions might apply/risk may be closer to the date.

This is of the people who would actually go to ASLOK, of course. The relevant denominator.

I guess that would mean an ASLOK with about 40-50 participants, plus another 20-30 if conditions improved by that time.

The question for Bret and Bill is whether they are able to run/afford the event at this size/scale, manage any COVID-related sensitivities/issues and still have fun.

That is what it seems to boil down to, if we afford ourselves the freedom to ignore the ethical-moral zeal expressed by some honorable gentlemen.

From Ginnard's post, I assume the BBQ would still be on......!
And I wonder if it would be better or even possible with a smaller group to use the ground floor conference rooms instead of the fifth floor. Better ventilation, better access to bathrooms and other small variables that together help reduce the risk.

And make no mistake - it is all about reducing risk, as we will likely not be able to completely eliminate it EVER, sans plastic negative air-pressure bubbles for each individual.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have attended 32 straight ASLOKs. ASLOK is more than a tournament. ASLOK is a celebration of the game and comraderie of a group of like minded individuals. I am also in what is considered to be in the "high risk" health group being almost 70 and a heavy smoker. I refuse to live what is left of my time in fear of this virus or any other thing that comes down the pike. However, I respect the fear that others might have concerning the virus. If ASLOK is not held this year, I will understand. I hope that is not the case. I am for holding it with no restrictions. I have never had any interest in playing VASL or any other computer games as gaming to me is as much a social interaction as it is a game. I have the utmost respect for Bret and support whatever decision he comes to. I believe the world cup will be a no go as it seems most of the non USA players will be heavily restricted and therefore unable to attend. This will result in an extremely low early attendance and probably bring the tournament back to its original four day format. To me this is the equivalent of reducing a baseball game from 9 to 5 innings. I am not sure how many people would attend a five inning game. So if held, I will be there. If not, I will miss you all.
That is the best post yet on this subject in my opinon.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This will result in an extremely low early attendance and probably bring the tournament back to its original four day format. To me this is the equivalent of reducing a baseball game from 9 to 5 innings. I am not sure how many people would attend a five inning game. So if held, I will be there. If not, I will miss you all.
In a five-innings game, you just hit harder.....I would still play you in the World Cup Dave!

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And make no mistake - it is all about reducing risk, as we will likely not be able to completely eliminate it EVER, sans plastic negative air-pressure bubbles for each individual.
If anyone hoped to live an interesting, fulfilling life without taking any risk, that would be bizarre. I honestly feel we are controlled and kept from fulfilling our life's promise through the constant application of fear (in the West, mainly through the 24-hour news media). Fear of foreigners, fear of The Bomb, fear of black men, fear of Islam, fear of terrorists, fear of a pandemic.....it is a constant bombardment, which is not "objective news" - it is intentional.

I do not accept to live in fear, because I would consider that no life worth living.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well said Dave. Hope to see you there.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If anyone hoped to live an interesting, fulfilling life without taking any risk, that would be bizarre. I honestly feel we are controlled and kept from fulfilling our life's promise through the constant application of fear (in the West, mainly through the 24-hour news media). Fear of foreigners, fear of The Bomb, fear of black men, fear of Islam, fear of terrorists, fear of a pandemic.....it is a constant bombardment, which is not "objective news" - it is intentional.

I do not accept to live in fear, because I would consider that no life worth living.
That's a very good point, just consider the role of advertisement; fear is a very powerful lever to sell insurance, drugs, SUVs and more generally appliances we may not necessarily need.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Well, there's fear and then there's fear. It may be irrational to be afraid of eating shawarma because of Muslims, but it's rational to be afraid of bears if you're camping up north and keeping all your food in your tent. Highly contagious viruses with a 2-5% mortality rate are not impressed by courage.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is f'ing ridiculous. Equating attending this tournament to play a GAME, to basically calling everyone who doesn't a pu**y. There is a risk/ reward decision on everything you do. Do you drive your car at 90 mph all the time? Why not, why live in fear?

I've watched murders as they took place, jumped into frays with individuals wielding knives, been shot at numerous times, RPG's flying all around me. That was the job I agreed to do and I accepted the risks. This is a GAME, only. Keep that in perspective.

If ASLOK goes, people will attend. That is their choice. If they choose not to doesn't mean they are quaking in their boots and are afraid to leave their homes. Get frigging real, Mr. Macho.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
All I can say is the facts.

Our Church has remained open and has met every Sunday from 10-1 and we don't wear any masks, have had attendance from 10 to 75 and we have had 0 virus cases. Zilch, nada. 100% normal and free from any virus.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

2 Timothy 1:7

I don't see any reason to cancel ASLOK 2020, Ohio is opening up, mask will be optional July 1st and all is well and good.

If there are those that don't want to attend that is their choice, if there are those that want to attend that is their choice. If there are those that want to wear masks that is their choice and if there are those that don't want to wear masks that is there choice.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
If there are those that don't want to attend that is their choice, if there are those that want to attend that is their choice. If there are those that want to wear masks that is their choice and if there are those that don't want to wear masks that is there choice.
Wearing a mask or face shield is the easiest way to help lower the transmission of Covid 19.

If you choose not to wear one then you are making a statement that you value your own individual preferences over public health. Wearing a mask tells the public that you are serious about making sure that the spread of the disease is lessened. Not wanting to wear one states the opposite. People. An bluster all they want about individual choice but that isn't the case.

That said, as a person who wears a mask when I go out shopping, I would not want to wear one for multiple hours at a time. It would not be comfortable and I would not enjoy myself.

Sometimes we have to act like adults, shrug our shoulders and resign ourselves to the fact that we won't be able to do what we want no matter how much we want to.

I really can't imagine how much it must hurt for some of the older players here to not be able to go to the event or not participate in it in the same way they have done in the past. I don't even have a five year run of going to an event, forget 32. So I can't imagine how distressing it must be to think about missing out on an event.

That is the place we are in at the moment though. And it sucks. But the US recorded 32,600 new cases yesterday so clearly something has to change In order to get those numbers down and curtail the soread of the disease.

Everyone who has gone to the event and was looking forward to going has my sympathies. Everyone needs to face the reality of the situation though.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All I can say is the facts.

Our Church has remained open and has met every Sunday from 10-1 and we don't wear any masks, have had attendance from 10 to 75 and we have had 0 virus cases. Zilch, nada. 100% normal and free from any virus.
Don, those are not facts. That is just your circumstances and how it relates to you. What about the family in NJ that held a family reunion, when all was said and done 7 were hospitalized, with Covid-19, and 4 died. Were they not worthy of God's strength? No of course not, it is the capriciousness of this disease.

You never know how your actions could have a reverberating affect:

Around 2015/16 I lost my Father, Mother, brother, sister, and a grandson in a matter of a little over 3-4 years.

Mother passed from Cancer
about 1 year later our grandson passed from an illness (17 mo. old) -August
approximately 1 month later my sister was murdered. The insane stress of that ensuing visit to Toledo, OH took it's toll on my brother and on his trip back home he had a massive heart attack. He survived but his time left was going to be very limited.
The following X-Mas there was little hope for my brother so everyone visited him in the UP, MI. On my father's trip back home (Toledo) he stopped at a Target store and tripped over his shoelace. He shattered his hip.
My father passed away the following November and my brother followed him in April 2016.

My brothers and fathers deaths were set in motion due to all us making a trip to Toledo to help my sister's family. You just never ever know what you may set in motion because of your actions.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
TopT those are all good and valid points. However, one can't live their life (well I suppose they could) stressing out that they may set in motion something negative.

As an example, if I am out on one of my daily walks and I see three men beating a woman, I can't (or won't) let myself be paralyzed by fear if one of my actions may end up causing the death of one of her salients. I am just not wired that way, I would just react and take all three of them out or die trying. I could end up in jail or dead or worse, but I could not just pretend I did see it and let it happen.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can we just simplify this with these assertions?:
  1. I may infect someone else.
  2. Someone else may infect me.
  3. I fully understand the risks and am still willing to attend.
  4. Others fully understand the risks. Some will attend, others will not.
The choice is yours to make. Simple as that.
I will make my decision and you make yours. Please respect the decisions each of us make.
I do not need anyone's permission or opinion.
I will attend. I look forward to seeing and spending time with the attendees.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Don, that's stopping a crime and possibly saving a life. ASL is just a GAME!

I don't want to read your obituary, at least not for some considerable time. Ditto for anyone else who posts here.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Paul but I disagree, wearing a mask or not wearing a mask is not a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.