ASLOK Thoughts in the Age of Covid

Plans for attending ASLOK XXXV?

• Wasn't planning on attending anyway...

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Will be there, masks or not...

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • Will be there, but only if masks are required...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Will be there, but only if masks aren't required...

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Won't be attending due to Covid, but had been planning on it pre-pandemic...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on how the pandemic develops by the Fall...

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • Might be there - depends on non-pandemic things like $, vacation, spousal approval, etc...

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
not to mention using the same rest room as a bunch of dudes (with my pea sized bladder and alcohol, I'd spend more time running up and down the stairs than gaming).
This aspect will have to be tackled as well. 6th floor toilets should be closed and people would have to go back to their rooms to enjoy their bathroom break. ?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
This aspect will have to be tackled as well. 6th floor toilets should be closed and people would have to go back to their rooms to enjoy their bathroom break. ?
that's my point :) They were closed the rennovation year, but luckily I was on floor 5. Still after all day that was a lot of steps.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
that's my point :) They were closed the rennovation year, but luckily I was on floor 5. Still after all day that was a lot of steps.
Maybe the block reservation should prioritize level-5 rooms so that it would be less strenuous.

To avoid people bumping into one another, you should have a stairwell for those descending only and one for those ascending only. Not sure there is a symbol on ASL maps for that :rolleyes:

The elevator should not access the 6th floor. Anyway this one we won't miss it too much :D

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Maybe the block reservation should prioritize level-5 rooms so that it would be less strenuous.

To avoid people bumping into one another, you should have a stairwell for those descending only and one for those ascending only. Not sure there is a symbol on ASL maps for that :rolleyes:

The elevator should not access the 6th floor. Anyway this one we won't miss it too much :D
Posts offering suggestions like this have to be useful to Bret and Wild Bill. I would strongly encourage anyone who has an idea on how to help make ASLOk a safer event to offer it up. Even if it's as silly as Captain Bacchus' idea to stay in your room and play by phone.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Well there is only one stairwell, so that won't work. ? And the elevator to the 6th floor is a necessity, we gotta get fat dudes and their gear upstairs. ?

Seriously, if there are that many restrictions, I am out.

If its just masks, I am "iffy" (I like the ASL face wear idea if we gotta wear 'em), but if I will be hearded around like a mouse looking for cheese, no thanks, I am done with that at this point.

My gut tells me if there will be a ton of restrictions, it will get called off...........

Peace

Roger

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well there is only one stairwell, so that won't work. ?
There might be some emergency staircase in the back, but i may well be wrong.

Safety first :D

It's a difficult balance for the organizers, that's for sure. Another GS poll on measures is their friend to test the appetite for them.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Even assuming the Can/US border is open I do not plan on attending this year. For the first time, my wife (an immunocompromised cancer survivor) has asked me not to go, and there's no way I can put her at increased risk for the sake of a few days of fun, however great they are. And I'll be honest, the number of people I've heard dismissing the gravity of the situation is making things worse.
I did suggest to Bret that if ASLOK does go ahead, we could have a couple of VASL Minis so those of us who can't physically attend can at least attend in spirit. Otherwise, I hope to see you all in 2021.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Southwest Airlines has a three day fare sale going on.

A. Chicago to Cleveland one way- $39
B. Baltimore to Cleveland one way - $39

plus a bunch others.

Rich

Glen

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am reasonably confident the Canada US border will reopen at some point this summer. What I am less certain of is how long it will stay open.

What I plan to do is see how things sit on Labour Day. If the event is still a go, and the infection rates on both sides of the border are low enough that I can enter the US without being quarantined for the entire time I am there (or the same situation coming back to Canada), then I suspect I will take the plunge.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well there is only one stairwell, so that won't work. ? And the elevator to the 6th floor is a necessity, we gotta get fat dudes and their gear upstairs. ?

If its just masks, I am "iffy" (I like the ASL face wear idea if we gotta wear 'em), but if I will be hearded around like a mouse looking for cheese, no thanks, I am done with that at this point.

My gut tells me if there will be a ton of restrictions, it will get called off...........

Peace

Roger
there better be two stairs. If not you're staying in a deathtrap;

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
there better be two stairs. If not you're staying in a deathtrap;
I am going from memory but I only recall 1 stairwell & 1 elevator. There is a stairwell to the roof I think. The 6th floor is a couple of bathrooms, a TV area, a bar area, & the convention room. I might have a few things off a little but not a whole lot.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah, I forgot all about that........

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Rumor has it masks will become optional in July 1st in Ohio.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The USA has already defeated the World once, IIRC.
They certainly did, that was two years ago. Last year the World took revenge.

By the way, I would NOT at all be interested in ASLOK on VASL. ASLOK is a special event unlike any other tournament. It has a size and atmosphere and way of running itself that is quite unique. I see no reason to play games with random dudes in the US and World claiming I am at ASLOK.

Status
Not open for further replies.