ASLOK on Hold For Now

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
4,762
Reaction score
617
Location
NE OH
Country
llUnited States
I just posted the following in the ASLOK thread, but thought it valuable to post as its own thread to get the word out.

Basically ASLOK is on hold - I anticipate cancelling, but the hotel has given us a couple more weeks to decide so I'm taking advantage of that time hoping for a miracle. We should know definitively by mid-July, but at this point I anticipate cancelling.

**
ASLOK on hold for now.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Since I posted this query it seems that the US has only had bad news regarding the Corona virus. As such I'm not optimistic at all that we will be able to hold ASLOK this year. I reached out to the hotel and bought us another couple of weeks to decide, but at the moment I am planning on cancelling barring a sudden change in the news. I would expect to come to a final decision by mid-July.

Presuming we do end up cancelling we will likely run a VASL alternative for those interested. Right now we're leaning towards 2 waves of Minis (call them Thursday/Saturday) with the Thursday minis leading to Grofaz play and then Saturday minis for those either not interested in Grofaz or who get knocked out by Saturday. I haven't figured out if we'll do shirts this year or not. More details to come by mid-July.

For anyone that has pre-registered, we will offer to either refund your $ or roll over to next year at your option.

Thanks to everyone who has inquired about finances. At the moment, I'm optimistic that the hotel will basically let us roll over our commitment until next year. Fortunately the hotel really likes our group and values the relationship going forward more than attempting to leverage a one year windfall from us this year. So I think we will be OK financially, but we will see what the fallout is in a couple weeks when I cancel as anticipated.
 

wrongway149

Elder Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Messages
8,936
Reaction score
1,048
Location
Willoughby, Ohio
Country
llUnited States
I just posted the following in the ASLOK thread, but thought it valuable to post as its own thread to get the word out.

Basically ASLOK is on hold - I anticipate cancelling, but the hotel has given us a couple more weeks to decide so I'm taking advantage of that time hoping for a miracle.
We gotta double-time CX through various residual markers in open ground (-2) to get to the victory building, without even pinning so we can advance in, avoid ambush and win a 1:2 close combat (+1/-1 or worse) and survive to gain control.

No problem, I do it all the time :)
 

Carln0130

Elder Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2006
Messages
5,201
Reaction score
1,251
Location
MA
Country
llUnited States
Good luck Bret. Our hotel was cool too. We got the paperwork for next March, but they are giving us an opt out as well and did so this year for Nor'easter.
It would be great if good news came and turned this around for the second half.
 

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
3,954
Reaction score
872
Location
Kernersville, NC
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Not surprised by your post given that there were very few strong commitments for attending.
 

Major Issues

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2018
Messages
283
Reaction score
930
Location
Secane, PA
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I wuz one who said that I would attend. However, now that seems less likely, as I just found out that the company has a 'use it or lose it' vacation policy, with the 'lose it' date being... October 1st. While there is a chance that I may be able to implore Higher Powers and weasel out of this (after all, weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except weasels.), I would not pin my hopes and thoughts and dreams of getting three critical hits in a row on it.

Sorry,
 
Top