ASLOK in Person Cancelled - VASL Only for 2020

RJenulis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brent,
I agree with the previous post, you made the correct call to cancel the in-person event. I would like to sign up for VASLOK!

Rich Jenulis

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finally got the details going for vASLOK I - you can find them here:

Please let me know if you notice any issues or have questions.

Basic format is minis on Thursday/Saturday with Grofaz play/Grofaz minis on Friday. No T's this year - given we break even on them typically it didn't really make sense to attempt to deal with shipping or storing a bunch of T's until next October.

I hope to have pairings/scenario available no later than 10/1 allowing first round matchups to kick-off early if both sides are amenable to that or no later than Thursday morning. Please note that games are expected to be played on an EST schedule so be prepared to play at 8AM EST each day and ready for follow-up games after...

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello, I am wondering how the minis work. Is it only 4 people in the thing with 2 games in one day (8am start, then 2pm for the winners)?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Hello, I am wondering how the minis work. Is it only 4 people in the thing with 2 games in one day (8am start, then 2pm for the winners)?
At ASLOk proper, there are 8 people in a complete mini, three games in one day unless you can convince your opponent in game three to play they next day. They can go quite late. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
At ASLOk proper, there are 8 people in a complete mini, three games in one day unless you can convince your opponent in game three to play they next day. They can go quite late. -- jim
Three scenarios in a day seemed reasonable bitd, maybe not so now. Although the Triple Digit thread indicates short scenarios get a lot of play which is what should be chosen for a mini. I wonder how much effect minis had on the prevalence of shorter scenarios in the Triple Digit Club?

One year when Oktoberfest was still a Friday through Sunday event we tried to require ten scenarios to be played for the tournament. Unrealistic even back then. Live and learn.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Three scenarios in a day seemed reasonable bitd, maybe not so now. Although the Triple Digit thread indicates short scenarios get a lot of play which is what should be chosen for a mini. I wonder how much effect minis had on the prevalence of shorter scenarios in the Triple Digit Club?

One year when Oktoberfest was still a Friday through Sunday event we tried to require ten scenarios to be played for the tournament. Unrealistic even back then. Live and learn.
It's doable if players play with pace. The second round starts @ 1300 - 1400. If that goes ~ 5 hours, round 3 starts at ~ 1800 - 1900. Another 5 hours for the next round and you're looking at finishing around 2300 - 2400. Then wind down and off to bed to get up in time to start the next days games. Anything that slows that down just makes for later and later nights. I personally try to only play in the Thursday mini. If I somehow make it to the finals, I try to arrange with my opponent to play "double jeopardy" in a Friday Grofaz mini. Winner is declared the winner of the mini played on Thursday as well as goes on in the Grofaz mini. Best advice I have ever heard for winning a tournament is drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep. Words to live by. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It's doable if players play with pace. The second round starts @ 1300 - 1400. If that goes ~ 5 hours, round 3 starts at ~ 1800 - 1900. Another 5 hours for the next round and you're looking at finishing around 2300 - 2400. Then wind down and off to bed to get up in time to start the next days games. Anything that slows that down just makes for later and later nights. I personally try to only play in the Thursday mini. If I somehow make it to the finals, I try to arrange with my opponent to play "double jeopardy" in a Friday Grofaz mini. Winner is declared the winner of the mini played on Thursday as well as goes on in the Grofaz mini. Best advice I have ever heard for winning a tournament is drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep. Words to live by. -- jim
Have to agree that is good advice for trying to win a tournament. Maybe not the best advice for enjoying a tournament but considering the age of most attendees still very sound advice!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Concur, it’s a mental endurance test, best to eat well to.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think it was "Cap'n Taco". Thank God I survived those years. My body can't take that level of abuse anymore...
Steve
Actually never ate there, too busy to eat. Heard the stories though!

Think you are correct it was Cap'n Taco.

That whole venue was less than stellar. Plenty of memorable stories but not the Ritz Carlton.

Last edited:

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
http://capntaco.com/about/

Yep, it was Cap'n. Good memory Steve.

Still there, apparently. Might be less than stellar, but I'd still put a hurt on a couple burritos about now. The Google pics make it look bigger inside than I remember, but that's probably because it was standing room only at lunch time. Never did get a seat there. We just carried out and ate at the motel. Was fun checking out street view of it now. The motel and Capn Taco were the only memorable places in the area, and that has changed not at all.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was posting on the translating the ASLRB thread about Action Debbie's comments in regards to that endeavor. I remembered she had hand colored the squad leader image on the early Oktoberfest plaques and that got me thinking about ASLOk. Always this time of year when the weather starts getting cooler an old man's thoughts turn to Oktoberfest. While there may not be a physical presence in NE Ohio this year the feeling is still there. Good luck to all who participate and thanks to Bret and Bill for keeping it going.?

Last edited: