ASLOK Hotel

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My experience dealing with Hotels as a TD is that you are pretty much helpless. It's not like we use the best venues. I could use a Hilton or a Marriot and have more accountability, but the gamerooms will cost up to a 1000 per day and room rates are 150-200. I'm sure attendance would suffer. I'm willing to live with less than stellar service to have an affordable venue.
Like ASL itself, there are trade-offs with every choice in life.

In the end it was not too bad. If you have been coming to ASLOk for 20 years or so, you had been through worse.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One secondary problem was that the lighting was dim in part of the game room. Where I had my stuff was in twilight after the sun went down. I have added a lamp & extension cord to my list of things to bring to tournaments.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dang man, I missed a tournament where I could have used the old "I lost it in the sun" excuse. Because I need all the excuses I can get :)

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I forgot to read everybodies' personal informational statistical sheets. It's usually fun to read the comments.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe because I was there Friday PM and Saturday the constructors were a non-issue.

One plus for me on this hotel compared with many others: the effective blind system in the rooms - usually always a hassle.
If they put that system in the game room by next year it would eliminate the Sun Blindness EC there and some of the daytime overheating.

Bathroom set-up: actually worked better I think this year with more than just the one upstairs as usual - didn't mind the stairs at all.

I agree on next years pricing - hope not too much of an increase.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I did not think it was all that bad. Walking down the stairs to use bathroom was a bummer. To me the biggest issue was no restaurant. While not the greatest food, it was not too bad and it was a nice place to go have a social moment away from the gaming room.

Yes while not ideal, it was not terrible (I still think the last year at the previous hotel was worse).

If I were there for vacation with the wife and not a game tourney, I would have been more upset.

Peace

Roger

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad I am out of that hotel. No hot water half the time, no coke machines, only one ice machine, insufficient air conditioning in the gaming room, drills waking me up in the morning, bad lighting in the gaming room, no hotel carts, one day where the elevator wouldn't work on the 6th floor, wonky and incorrectly working elevators all week long, no working restrooms on the 6th floor, no paper towels in the substitute restrooms, no front desk, no manager available, and more. Not the place I wanted to stay in during my vacation. The gaming at ASLOK was great, the hotel was quite poor.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad I am out of that hotel. No hot water half the time, no coke machines, only one ice machine, insufficient air conditioning in the gaming room, drills waking me up in the morning, bad lighting in the gaming room, no hotel carts, one day where the elevator wouldn't work on the 6th floor, wonky and incorrectly working elevators all week long, no working restrooms on the 6th floor, no paper towels in the substitute restrooms, no front desk, no manager available, and more. Not the place I wanted to stay in during my vacation. The gaming at ASLOK was great, the hotel was quite poor.
Your going to have a hard time during the Zombie apocalypse

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I for one intend to gorge myself on human flesh, so I'm good.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hotel did not really bother me, having lived in a tent under 120+ degree weather, this was paradise.

Scott

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why save for hard times that might never come? Check your pantry for some fava beans, a little chianti, then go to town.
Already one step ahead of you. BTW, there's a vacancy in the house next door. . .

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I was going to count the number of flights of stairs I walked over the week (potty, breaks, food breaks, room breaks, ice, etc), but when I was over 100 starting day 3, I said screw it.

Peace

Roger

ActionBurk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I've never done as many stairs as at Oktoberfest 88. Up and down between the two gaming rooms all weekend. My legs were toast.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you get Motel 6 quality, better get Motel 6 rates.

The hotel took this year players for saps.