ASLOK Hotel

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the good news is that my room itself is not bad looking. No coffee pot or other amenities to speak of, though.

Everything else, though, seems to be problematic. There is no restaurant, there is no registration desk (just a table in a hallway), they removed all the coke machines so there is not a single fucking bottle of coke in the entire hotel, and they do not have a single hotel cart, so good luck getting your three tons of gear up to the 6th floor. They do have a tiny utility cart. One of the elevators is wonky.

There is construction all over the place.

They did not have the right type of tables on the 6th floor but supposedly this has been fixed by now. I won't go up there till tomorrow morning.

The no coke machines in the entire hotel by itself is a total deal breaker for me and I seriously regret that ASLOK is being held in this hotel this year. And I cannot believe that a goddamn hotel does not have a single luggage cart.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm leaving tomorrow morning with Rich and it sounds like not good times, hopefully I can share a room with someone by the time I get there, but there is always the couch's, are they still there?

Scott

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm leaving tomorrow morning with Rich and it sounds like not good times, hopefully I can share a room with someone by the time I get there, but there is always the couch's, are they still there?

Scott
Wasn't there that dude with the dog? ;)

von Marwitz

regularjoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes hotels put the luggage carts away to avoid damage to the property due to an overloaded cart being smashed in the halls around by a careless guest.

Based on the state of this property as described I would say that it was damaged and they are too cheap to repair it.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I will be sad not to be at ASLOk this year, but the more I hear, the more sure I am I made the right decision. I will see you all next year (and perhaps at Albany if you are there). -- jim

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yikes, that does not sound like the good olde times of days of yore. Maybe Bret will have to look to move venues, isn't there a Marriot and a La Quinta Inn within a stone's throw so the actually getting there can remain close to the same (not sure about Airport shuttle...there might not be that any more if it is not a Holiday Inn. Could be a bummer for those flying in). No food on site also an issue, coz those lunch time meals at the bar were not too bad and always convenient. Shudder, what if there is no bar?

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Something's life can be counted on - good things tend not to last - they tend to be "fixed" to "broken".

Glad I bought my hand cart from Home Depot.

Wondering if I should bring my fold-in-half table too.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Update?: Are the tables fixed? Do I need a lamp?

As I said in another thread.... no luggage carts? WTF?

Oh well, once I roll in Monday I am set.

I need no coke, bringing in 10 2 liters of pop.........

Peace

Roger

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like there is an opportunity to make some cash by buying bottles of pop and selling them at the venue. Anyone want a $5.00 20oz bottle of Pepsi? :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yikes, that does not sound like the good olde times of days of yore.
You may have missed the year the old hotel was operating an open pit mine in the main hallway. The only thing missing was a pit pony.

JR

Reactions: DC

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes hotels put the luggage carts away to avoid damage to the property due to an overloaded cart being smashed in the halls around by a careless guest.

Based on the state of this property as described I would say that it was damaged and they are too cheap to repair it.
The luggage cards in this hotel were indeed destroyed and not replaced--but not destroyed by guests, but rather by construction workers, since the hotel for some reason let them carry heavy materials with them.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update?: Are the tables fixed? Do I need a lamp?

As I said in another thread.... no luggage carts? WTF?

Oh well, once I roll in Monday I am set.

I need no coke, bringing in 10 2 liters of pop.........

Peace

Roger
There are still too many round tables, not enough regular tables and relatively few chairs. Hopefully that will all be fixed before more people start coming in. Not all the lights seem to be working, but I went downstairs at twilight so did not see the full evening effect. Maybe they are okay.

There are no working restrooms on the 6th floor. You have to go down to the 5th floor and use the bathroom in a hotel guest room. It has no soap and no paper towels. People are apparently all supposed to use the same two hand towels, which strikes me as incredibly unsanitary.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yikes, that does not sound like the good olde times of days of yore. Maybe Bret will have to look to move venues, isn't there a Marriot and a La Quinta Inn within a stone's throw so the actually getting there can remain close to the same (not sure about Airport shuttle...there might not be that any more if it is not a Holiday Inn. Could be a bummer for those flying in). No food on site also an issue, coz those lunch time meals at the bar were not too bad and always convenient. Shudder, what if there is no bar?
Staying a another hotel helps little (I thought about it), because the rooms themselves are not too bad. It is mostly the other stuff, like no restrooms on the 6th floor and no coke machines, etc., which is the problem, and you will have to deal with that no matter where you sleep.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
The no bathroom on the 6th floor is a bummer. How many are open on 5th floor? If just one, that is gonna be a problem. Oh well there is always the trip down to my room.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One bathroom, one toilet for men; one bathroom, one toilet for women. I have mostly been going to my room; at least there is soap there.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Shudder, what if there is no bar?
The store next door has beer and wine and there is a liquor store a couple miles away. I bring my own booze anyway. Saves money. Though I did still spend a lot of money at the bar. I assume there will be a bar of some sort.

Peace

Roger

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are no working restrooms on the 6th floor. You have to go down to the 5th floor and use the bathroom in a hotel guest room. It has no soap and no paper towels. People are apparently all supposed to use the same two hand towels, which strikes me as incredibly unsanitary.
Yikes! I bet that doesn't pass the local health code.

Oh, yeah. It's Cleveland. Never mind.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
just added to the "to buy for ASLOK" list: hand sanitizer

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I let him run amok last year and he ran around for about 5 minutes before picking a seat on Pleva's lap. I'm going to leave him at home this year.