ASLOK 2017, too early for woofing?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just called the hotel; no refrigerators in the rooms. Dave, will that community 'fridge in the hospitality suite still be available?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Just called the hotel; no refrigerators in the rooms. Dave, will that community 'fridge in the hospitality suite still be available?
Their Google side-screen pop-up AND their website both say mini-fridges in all guest rooms. I don't understand. If such is the case, I may cancel my reservation and get a room at La Quinta across the road where they have a mini-fridge, microwave, and free breakfast.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The good thing with Cleveland is that no cat.5 hurricane is ever going to hit the city. We always enjoy moderate EC conditions (with sometimes light to moderate rain i concede).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all-

I think this year, I'll have skip ASLOK. Maybe next year. Look forward to every bodies ASLOK ARR's.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jim, where do you rank MMP maps on your travel list for ASLOK? Am I to guess that these are the most "borrow-able" piece of kit?
very low, there are loads of guys who bring the entire kit and caboodle. Rarely been lost for a mapboard at ASLOK....

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Has there ever been a fridge in the hospitality suite?

Bummer about no refrigerator in room.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Their Google side-screen pop-up AND their website both say mini-fridges in all guest rooms. I don't understand. If such is the case, I may cancel my reservation and get a room at La Quinta across the road where they have a mini-fridge, microwave, and free breakfast.
I can live without the refrigerator. The no breakfast hurts, as in the pocket book. I already spend a ton of money and the free breakfast helped. When I thought there was a refrig in the room, I was happy as I would just bring stuff for breakfast (and lunch) as I am 2 hours away. I bring a ton of food, but dealing with ice a couple times a day is a PITA.

Peace

Roger

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Jim, where do you rank MMP maps on your travel list for ASLOK? Am I to guess that these are the most "borrow-able" piece of kit?
Honestly, if you're driving you should take it all. I am coming from VA by car and will have all of mine. Having said that, common boards shouldn't be too big a problem. If there is a run on a scenario where everyone is playing it, you can have some difficulty pulling a board, but I have NEVER not be able to get a common board from someplace. The only exception to this is the newer Winter Offensive Pack and small-lettered ASLSK maps. Those can be a bit harder, but not too hard. -- jim

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I think there was a burning wreck room two years ago, but I think you were still allowed to smoke on the 5t floor. No one was in the hospitality room last year much, except to use the bathroom. But last year was probably not a good measure with how screwed up the hotel was......

Peace

Roger

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The burning wreck room did have a fridge--I know because that is where I kept some stuff. So, if anyone can tell me that we can at least have that let me know. Otherwise we all need to bring ice chests...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My understanding is there are fridges in all the rooms. If you go to the hotel web site under rooms it says "mini-fridge" right there: http://www.fourpointsclevelandairport.com/en/rooms/traditional-queen

The hotel is all non-smoking so there is no burning wreck room and as the "hospitality suite" was not really used for anything beyond smoking in recent years and that was outlawed in the hotel, we traded the "suite" for other concessions so there is no suite. Actually the hotel has no suites on the 5th floor anymore, but was turning 2 guest rooms into the "suite" last year.

Understand about losing the breakfast - unfortunately the choice was either pay more for the room to get 1 "free" breakfast per room or have us pay for breakfast on our own. I chose to negotiate for the lower room rate and the discount on food at the hotel restaurant as that resulted in a lower overall cost and gave everyone the option of eating where they chose. The alternative was a "free" breakfast that actually cost more due to a higher room rate...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We will get 20% off at "The Hub" restaurant. Looks like a decent sports bar & the menu looks good. Hopefully it tastes good too, but I think the restaurant will be a nice upgrade over 2 years ago...

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ASLOK T's will be based on Dutch Light Infantry in 1940 (Allied Minor) artwork from Bill Sisler:
ASLOK_T_2017.jpg
Given that, the regular short sleeve T's will be a "Mint" color which roughly matches the Allied Minor counters in color. The color choices for long sleeve & the sport are far fewer and since we had green shirts last year, I decided to mix it up a little. The long sleeves will be a "stonewash green" which is a darker grey/green. The athletic will be a "Carbon Grey" which is a relatively dark grey with a Mint ink to give that Allied Minor feel.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Olli has talked about a welcome barbecue. Who do I speak to about attending that with my wife?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Vinnie is in Scotland. Although they claim to use metric there, I'll bet they secretly convert to pictish. It's only a matter of time before they go public.

JR
We use a strange mixture. Distances are measured in miles and cm. All paper is the A series.
Heights are measured in feet if people and meters if mountains.
Weight is in stones if people but kilos if other items.
We're just strange.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Here is my recommended packing list (and in this order):
0) Playlist
1) Rulebook
2) Dice + dice-glass-tower
3) Chapter dividers
4) Overlays
5) Informational counters
6) German counters
7) Russian counters
8) TPP counters for anything on your play list that may be hard to find
9) Same for TPP maps on your list
10) As much as you can

The ASLOk crowd is large. You can generally find anything you need. IMO, 0 - 3 are must haves. Overlays can be hard to track down and some people are reluctant to lend them out as they are easily lost. EVERYONE is using informational counters. If you don't have to track those down, it can be a huge blessing. Germans and Russian counters seem to be in high demand so if you have space, try to bring them (especially the Germans). TPP maps/counters are hard to track down sometime as well. If they are on your list, plan on bringing them or you might not find anyone who has them with them.

When I travel, I always have 0 - 5. They fit in a small briefcase that I can carry on to the plane. Looking forward to seeing you at ASLOk (Even if I won't be able to understand a word you say :p ) -- jim
Thanks for the list.
0-4 should be fine as long as the RAT charts and an eASLRB work. Overlays I will leave behind. I may try and make a travel box of information counters. That should be do able.