WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
ASL 17 Lost Opportunities

Ste.-Mere-Eglise, France, 6 June 1944. I play the Americans and have to defend a village against a German (Georgians, but they are treated as Germans) counter attack. The Americans win if they control at least 5 buildings on board 1 at game end. I win immediately if the Germans have less than 9 unbroken squad-equivalents in play.

This is the setup:

I put two big dummy stacks to “block” the lower half of the map – or to scare the Germans into moving slow and carefully. But I also have a HIP squad with a bazooka in 1E1, for a nasty late game surprise. The mortar is in the top half and can cover the forest edge there. 4-1 with air burst and ROF 3 can be very effective. The gun covers the middle of the map. I was oblivious to the fact that the woods in 1C1 (and probably 2C1, too) is bypassable with vehicles. In hindsight, I would have placed the gun elsewhere, but it served a totally unintended role in this game where it was, so my ignorance was a blessing.

German turn 1:

The PFPh starts with the dream of every defender: The Marder tries to fire smoke, and rolled a 12. No smoke, broken gun. What a lovely day!

In the MPh, I defensive fire a lot and rolled quite low, but not low enough and the Germans pass every single morale check. I don't even manage to pin a single unit. (And with maybe half a dozen SANs don't get a single sniper.) But I keep ROF with the mortar, and continue to fire in the DFPh. I get an additional five shots before I lose ROF, and manage to break a squad and a leader, and pin another squad, and break another squad with inherent firepower.

My opponent advance into my dummy stacks, which are removed in the CCPh. My plan there hadn't worked, they didn't slow him down the slightest bit.

American turn 1:

In the top half of the map, everything is fine, but the bottom half looks not so good. Nothing critical yet, but I have to be careful.

In the RPh, the German crew manages to fix the Marder's gun – not good, not good. My mortar does nothing in the PFPh, a big disappointment! But the squad fires again with inherent firepower, lands a solid hit and the two German squads in 2B3 finally roll high for their MCs: 12 and 10. ELRs are really hurtful for the Germans!

I use spraying fire with the unconcealed squad and MMG in 1D4 (this might have been the first or second time I use spraying fire at all) against the concealed Germans and hope for a low roll, but it's a 10. No effect.

In the MPh, the concealed units in 1D4 assault move into the stone building, and those in 1F6 move to G6. Then, I make a big mistake: I move the squad with the MMG out of the foxhole and into the building in 1C7 – at least, I try it. As the squad leaves the safety of the foxhole, the Marder fires and misses, but the Germans in 2C9 have a clear LOS, too, that I totally overlooked, and break my squad. I should have fired with them, and advance later. The remaining squad+leader don't dare to move out of the foxhole after witnessing this debacle.

DFPh: The German kill stack in 2C2 fires a flat 20 at my mortar, for a K/4 with rate. The hs breaks, and the second shot pins the squad behind the first, thus stripping them of their concealment.

The rest doesn't do much.

German turn 2:

The situation is critical. My defense on the top is crumbling, and the bottom faces a vastly superior force. In the RPh, the Germans rally everything (one leader, 3 squads) in 2D3. But then: My 9-1 rallies the squad+MMG in 1C7, too. Now it's fair!

In the PFPh, the Marder hits with rate, but rolls high on the IFT. The second hit causes a 2MC, but my squad HOBs and becomes fanatic!

The German kill stack in 2C2 fires at the freshly rallied squad in 1C7, breaking it again – but that's ok, so they can't move this turn. But there are a lot of German units left, and they try to circle me. My fanatics in 2A4 break when they FPF at 2B3 – another mistake, since I could have fired my squad in 1D6 first. I fire them afterwards, and manage to break the German stack. But the situation now is critical:

The HS in 2A7 moves upwards. If the reach 1B7, they could capture 2 squads of mine and leave the 9-1 in a very bad situation. To prevent this, I sacrifice my concealment in 1F5, to no effect. The Germans reach 1B7, and I have no other option left than to reveal my AT gun. I fire the first shot with AP, knowing that I won't hit with it anyway (+6 for changing CA in building), but I retain ROF, and fire my second shot with HE. Unfortunately, the crew forgot to pack any, so I have to do with AP. I barely hit for an attack with 2FP, but roll a 4 for a 1MC, but the HS doesn't break.

There is more movement in the bottom half of the map, and I manage to break or eliminate a few more Germans. At this point, my opponent notices that he needs 9 or more unbroken squads on the board or loose the game immediately. After some counting, he assures me he has still 9.5 left, but it is close!

In my DFPh, I intensive fire the gun: It's the only chance I have to break the HS. And the dice are on my side: I roll a critical hit, for a 4-1 attack. It's a 1MC. The Germans have a morale of 7. And roll a 7! That was an incredibly tense moment, but with that HS gone, I'm inches away from winning!

American turn 2:

The Germans have exactly 9 unbroken squad equivalents on the board. They need to rally something fast, but in the RPh, they rally nothing. I rally nothing, either, and even suffer cr after a rolled 12, but this is my chance, now. I prep fire my gun for nothing, but then, my squad in 1D6 hits the Germans in 2A4, and they break. A win for the Americans!

This was a really tense game that was on a knife-edge for quite a while. If the Germans had rallied a squad or two (and a few additional ones in later turns), I probably would have lost, more so if I didn't land that critical hit on the HS that would have captured two of my squads. I still would have had my HIP squad in 1E1 for a last minute nasty surprise, but I don't think it would have been enough.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WOW, fast & Furious! Been so long since I played this scenario, I forgot the German criteria that foregoes a bull-rush by them in most instances. Short but exciting game it sounds like.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I really, really liked this game. My opponent played very bold and aggressive, just like I like to play as the attacker, and he played GOOD. The only real mistake he made was to forget (or disregard) the "sudden death" VC until halfway through his second movement phase.
I didn't play bad myself, all things considered (at least I think so), but I made a few obvious mistakes, and those would have lost me the game if the dice hadn't favoured me when it really counted.

Houtje

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Recently played this scenario twice; it's very tense, given the 'retain enough unbroken squads or else' VC. I think it's paramount for the German player to place his mortars and (arguably) his HMG and 1 or 2 MMG (with a -1 leader) on the high ground to the east. Their constant suppressive fire in PFPh and DFPh will soften up any American defence, barring really bad luck.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
"Put the mortars on a hill in the back!" is a lesson I only recently learned, and I certainly plan to implement it in a potential rematch. But I think the MGs are more useful at the frontline.

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I really, really liked this game. My opponent played very bold and aggressive, just like I like to play as the attacker, and he played GOOD. The only real mistake he made was to forget (or disregard) the "sudden death" VC until halfway through his second movement phase.
I didn't play bad myself, all things considered (at least I think so), but I made a few obvious mistakes, and those would have lost me the game if the dice hadn't favoured me when it really counted.
I was WuWei opponent in this one...my focus was on the time limitation..only had six turns and took my eyes off the sudden death VC. Its a delicate balance between on the one hand, not having a lot of time, and on the other, not being too aggressive and running the risk of having too many broken squads on the board. Being able to quickly rally troops is paramount in this one...overall a fun and interesting scenario.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL 17 Lost Opportunities

Ste.-Mere-Eglise, France, 6 June 1944. I play the Americans and have to defend a village against a German (Georgians, but they are treated as Germans) counter attack. The Americans win if they control at least 5 buildings on board 1 at game end. I win immediately if the Germans have less than 9 unbroken squad-equivalents in play.

This is the setup:

I put two big dummy stacks to “block” the lower half of the map – or to scare the Germans into moving slow and carefully. But I also have a HIP squad with a bazooka in 1E1, for a nasty late game surprise. The mortar is in the top half and can cover the forest edge there. 4-1 with air burst and ROF 3 can be very effective. The gun covers the middle of the map. I was oblivious to the fact that the woods in 1C1 (and probably 2C1, too) is bypassable with vehicles. In hindsight, I would have placed the gun elsewhere, but it served a totally unintended role in this game where it was, so my ignorance was a blessing.

German turn 1:

The PFPh starts with the dream of every defender: The Marder tries to fire smoke, and rolled a 12. No smoke, broken gun. What a lovely day!

In the MPh, I defensive fire a lot and rolled quite low, but not low enough and the Germans pass every single morale check. I don't even manage to pin a single unit. (And with maybe half a dozen SANs don't get a single sniper.) But I keep ROF with the mortar, and continue to fire in the DFPh. I get an additional five shots before I lose ROF, and manage to break a squad and a leader, and pin another squad, and break another squad with inherent firepower.

My opponent advance into my dummy stacks, which are removed in the CCPh. My plan there hadn't worked, they didn't slow him down the slightest bit.

American turn 1:

In the top half of the map, everything is fine, but the bottom half looks not so good. Nothing critical yet, but I have to be careful.

In the RPh, the German crew manages to fix the Marder's gun – not good, not good. My mortar does nothing in the PFPh, a big disappointment! But the squad fires again with inherent firepower, lands a solid hit and the two German squads in 2B3 finally roll high for their MCs: 12 and 10. ELRs are really hurtful for the Germans!

I use spraying fire with the unconcealed squad and MMG in 1D4 (this might have been the first or second time I use spraying fire at all) against the concealed Germans and hope for a low roll, but it's a 10. No effect.

In the MPh, the concealed units in 1D4 assault move into the stone building, and those in 1F6 move to G6. Then, I make a big mistake: I move the squad with the MMG out of the foxhole and into the building in 1C7 – at least, I try it. As the squad leaves the safety of the foxhole, the Marder fires and misses, but the Germans in 2C9 have a clear LOS, too, that I totally overlooked, and break my squad. I should have fired with them, and advance later. The remaining squad+leader don't dare to move out of the foxhole after witnessing this debacle.

DFPh: The German kill stack in 2C2 fires a flat 20 at my mortar, for a K/4 with rate. The hs breaks, and the second shot pins the squad behind the first, thus stripping them of their concealment.

The rest doesn't do much.

German turn 2:

The situation is critical. My defense on the top is crumbling, and the bottom faces a vastly superior force. In the RPh, the Germans rally everything (one leader, 3 squads) in 2D3. But then: My 9-1 rallies the squad+MMG in 1C7, too. Now it's fair!

In the PFPh, the Marder hits with rate, but rolls high on the IFT. The second hit causes a 2MC, but my squad HOBs and becomes fanatic!

The German kill stack in 2C2 fires at the freshly rallied squad in 1C7, breaking it again – but that's ok, so they can't move this turn. But there are a lot of German units left, and they try to circle me. My fanatics in 2A4 break when they FPF at 2B3 – another mistake, since I could have fired my squad in 1D6 first. I fire them afterwards, and manage to break the German stack. But the situation now is critical:

The HS in 2A7 moves upwards. If the reach 1B7, they could capture 2 squads of mine and leave the 9-1 in a very bad situation. To prevent this, I sacrifice my concealment in 1F5, to no effect. The Germans reach 1B7, and I have no other option left than to reveal my AT gun. I fire the first shot with AP, knowing that I won't hit with it anyway (+6 for changing CA in building), but I retain ROF, and fire my second shot with HE. Unfortunately, the crew forgot to pack any, so I have to do with AP. I barely hit for an attack with 2FP, but roll a 4 for a 1MC, but the HS doesn't break.

There is more movement in the bottom half of the map, and I manage to break or eliminate a few more Germans. At this point, my opponent notices that he needs 9 or more unbroken squads on the board or loose the game immediately. After some counting, he assures me he has still 9.5 left, but it is close!

In my DFPh, I intensive fire the gun: It's the only chance I have to break the HS. And the dice are on my side: I roll a critical hit, for a 4-1 attack. It's a 1MC. The Germans have a morale of 7. And roll a 7! That was an incredibly tense moment, but with that HS gone, I'm inches away from winning!

American turn 2:

The Germans have exactly 9 unbroken squad equivalents on the board. They need to rally something fast, but in the RPh, they rally nothing. I rally nothing, either, and even suffer cr after a rolled 12, but this is my chance, now. I prep fire my gun for nothing, but then, my squad in 1D6 hits the Germans in 2A4, and they break. A win for the Americans!

This was a really tense game that was on a knife-edge for quite a while. If the Germans had rallied a squad or two (and a few additional ones in later turns), I probably would have lost, more so if I didn't land that critical hit on the HS that would have captured two of my squads. I still would have had my HIP squad in 1E1 for a last minute nasty surprise, but I don't think it would have been enough.
I have some ideas for the American player.
1) use 1/2 squads for initial deployment. Put them out as pickets instead of good guys.
2) bring more Americans into +3 terrain and closer to the city. You can skulk easier and focus firepower better.
3) put the mortar in the foxhole next to the AT gun. You can shuffle up replacement crews, use spotted fire and blast most any tank that trys to mess with your mortar.
4)each of the two front stone buildings gets a -1 leader and a mmg. Screw the firelanes and put them on 2nd level for some nice harassment. Those two front stone buildings mutually support each other rather nicely. The 7-0 is on rally duty in the back, maybe back in building G1.

Let the German grab a couple of buildings from a 1/2 squad or two but hold the rest. Hopefully the German will be kinda diorganized after he takes those anyway. Don't risk being cut off from the center of town, too risky. Make him fight in +1 or +2 while you fight in +3.
Hope you don't mind my unsolicited advice.

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
As for the Germans and the Marder
Wow. Bold putting it up front there
My preferred spot would be in 2J4
Hull down at setup. Blasting everything that moves
With a RoF of 2 it can stack up acq pretty quickly

And I'd have the HMG/MMG (I think its a HMG) and the mortars at the back too.\

Then my attack would be 2 or so turns of keeping concealment and slinking forward. Finally, bursting out of the trees when the defense was suitably softened

Well that's what worked for me last time I played this classic

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
That's bold for you? We're halfway through the rematch, and after turn 1 my Marder never was more than 3 hexes away from an enemy squad. You have to be aggressive! HMG and MMGs are also with 2nd line squads at the front, while my conscripts move more carefully and hold the ground the 2nd liners are taking. Only the mortars were on the hill in the back, but I lost one to a malfunction and a botched repair attempt, and the second to a sniper, and I didn't leave a leader back there, so they probably won't come back for this game.

It's a great scenario, but so far, I like playing the German side even better - perhaps because my opponent keeps rolling high for the most time.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
There will be an AAR for the rematch, too. The first part is written, but I will only publish it until after the game.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess really bold play would be to use it as a assault gun and cover for the infantry, then, even if it burns it might cover the perfect hex to cover the attack. If it could save 2-3 squads it might be worth it.

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I guess really bold play would be to use it as a assault gun and cover for the infantry, then, even if it burns it might cover the perfect hex to cover the attack. If it could save 2-3 squads it might be worth it.
I used the Renaults for armoured assaults. Their guns are useless anyway, and moving at +0 instead of at -2 is a huge boost.
The Marder CAN hurt the enemy, in theory at least, and 12 FP scares away enemies from its VCA. The Renaults, in contrast, seem to attract the enemy.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When this was released in Yanks II was this scenario updated to have only six turns? The original had eight if I think and your vasl turn marker shows six.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I recall correctly all the scenarios in Paratrooper seemed to favor the para to one degree or another. They tried to fix that with updated scenarios.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
When this was released in Yanks II was this scenario updated to have only six turns? The original had eight if I think and your vasl turn marker shows six.
Yes, it's updated to six turns, and I think the VCs are a little bit different, too.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To the best of my knowledge all of the scenarios in Paratrooper and Yanks (1) were updated to some extent and some considerably so, even more than past errata had changed many of them already.