ASL104 Hill of Death

buser333

Reaction score
So I am pretty confused by SSR2 which says "All Crag are Shellholes, Cliffs are NA (treat as Double-Crest hexsides where applicable). All hedge and (previously) cliff hexsides are Bocage."

The only exceptions I see to what are not double-crest hexsides are C5/B4 and N5/M5 (these are all on Board 9). Is that correct? If so, it sure would've seemed much easier to just list those exceptions.

For the second part, how does this work for Wall Advantage? Would these be treated as hillside walls since, as a cliff, the cliff would cover the entire hexside?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I don't think C5/B4 et al., are "exceptions" per se. The cliff is still NA but would be an ordinary crest. It probably would be clearer if the SSR read "all Cliffs are Crests (or double-crests as applicable)" to avoid confusion.

But of course these are all converted into bocage as well, with the bocage rising from the top of the crest or double crest (as per the hillside wall/hedge rules). All this is as per B9.61, last sentence:

B9.61...If a hill Crest Line ends at a Hillside wall/hedge, the line along which the hill depiction meets the wall/hedge depiction is considered to be the actual Crest Line.​
...and start of B9.62:

B9.62 ELEVATION, TEM & WALL ADVANTAGE: A Hill-side wall/hedge is always at the higher of the two Base Levels it lies between, and is treated as a normal wall/hedge when calculating the TEM of targets at ≥ the wall/hedge's base elevation.​

See illustration above B9.6 for an idea of how to visualize these. Wall Advantage will never go to the lower level as explained in B9.62.

And aren't levels 3 and 4 converted into wheatfields? Yikes all this mental re-imagining would make me dizzy! Better use VASL! o_O

Last edited: