Asl ww1?

kempenfelter

Motivational Speaker
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've seen Russian Civil War, Allied Intervention, and Polish-Soviet scenarios over the years, but not for the Western Front 1914 -1918.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may be a silly question, but has anyone ever created a WWI version of ASL?

Thanks
Critical Hit has one in development, but no timeline for release. Go almost all the way to the bottom of this page: http://www.criticalhit.com/compnew.html

I'll emphasize that I'm not claiming that it will be good or that it will even work well with the ASL rules set. (I believe Pitman has remarked in other places that squad-level tactics of the sort used in WW II and the surrounding conflicts were not really in use during WW I.)

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
The basic maneuver unit for WWI would be a company. I think to make it squad level would be a bit too clunky.

The ASL squad system works best for WWII/Korea Maybe 1935 to maybe 1960ish. IMO

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Critical Hit has one in development, but no timeline for release. Go almost all the way to the bottom of this page: http://www.criticalhit.com/compnew.html

I'll emphasize that I'm not claiming that it will be good or that it will even work well with the ASL rules set. (I believe Pitman has remarked in other places that squad-level tactics of the sort used in WW II and the surrounding conflicts were not really in use during WW I.)
If it has cool looking counters and a map, I'll buy it.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I playtested the version that was being developed by Ian Daglish many years ago.

It was a bit un-interesting to be honest. Very low firepower and lots of trenches. There were rules for tank-fright and something for the equivalent of human waves for the British but it never really took off.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I playtested the version that was being developed by Ian Daglish many years ago.

It was a bit un-interesting to be honest. Very low firepower and lots of trenches. There were rules for tank-fright and something for the equivalent of human waves for the British but it never really took off.
It's my (inexpert) impression that the pretty major tactical shifts between WWI and WWII in terms of small group tactics and armor doctrines are really what make ASL viable. WWI seems like it would be generally too large and static both to work well in ASL.

S

dspurlock

ASL Layout Junkie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Someone needs to reach out to Mr. Swann on this as I thought Steve had something in the works on this subject, at one point in time.

pdutram

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a few scenarios:
Cote1664's TGW1 "Breakout" in Belgium & TGW2 "The Fox's First Bite" in The Argonne
David Haasl's DH1.1 "First Sting" in East Africa
CH's GWASL1 "Teufelhunden" in Belleau Wood from CH #7.1

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It's my (inexpert) impression that the pretty major tactical shifts between WWI and WWII in terms of small group tactics and armor doctrines are really what make ASL viable. WWI seems like it would be generally too large and static both to work well in ASL.

S
Early weeks of WWI was quite fluid and would lend itself to ASL but the next 5 years would produce either boring same same same or killing fields. Normal MP's would need to be reduced to 3 and no cx unless this would move the unit adjacent to an enemy? All in all I think it's a era to far. It works on the Russian Civil War etc. as these tended to be more fluid, or at least enough actions were.

Ian

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Early weeks of WWI was quite fluid and would lend itself to ASL but the next 5 years would produce either boring same same same or killing fields. Normal MP's would need to be reduced to 3 and no cx unless this would move the unit adjacent to an enemy? All in all I think it's a era to far. It works on the Russian Civil War etc. as these tended to be more fluid, or at least enough actions were.

Ian
I would disagree with this. The threads linked to in my post above explain why in detail.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The basic maneuver unit for WWI would be a company.
This is only correct up until the Somme; after the end of 1916, tactical control devolved down to platoons and sections. By 1918, the British army looked remarkably modern in appearance.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're quite completely incorrect on this. The threads linked to in my post above explain why in detail.
Quite COMPLETELY incorrect? really? Maybe I am off digging deep but I base the 3MP on such as Comonwealth troops staggering into battle. Yes you have raiding parties etc, but given the difference to WWII it might as well be night and day. If it feels like ASL then it ain't WWI, it's WWII dressed as WWI and I don't think I am interested in that.

Just my POV but it's the same as What If mods, would prefer to see something like LFT's Klomn than stretch ASL till you can hear the stitches screaming.

Ian

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Quite COMPLETELY incorrect? really? Maybe I am off digging deep but I base the 3MP on such as Comonwealth troops staggering into battle. Yes you have raiding parties etc, but given the difference to WWII it might as well be night and day. If it feels like ASL then it ain't WWI, it's WWII dressed as WWI and I don't think I am interested in that.

Just my POV but it's the same as What If mods, would prefer to see something like LFT's Klomn than stretch ASL till you can hear the stitches screaming.

Ian
My apologies; I reviewed that post and edited it before you replied, in order to change the tone which is obviously needlessly harsh.

However, I do disagree with any blanket assertion that the First World War was tactically uninteresting. You could say the same for Stalingrad - certainly not everyone's cup of tea, any more than digging Japanese hold-outs out of caves on Iwo Jima. But aside from the trench warfare, there were also tracts of open warfare on the Western Front, with armored cars and tanks and cavalry. Some of history's great cavalary charges, for example - Moreuil Wood comes to mind - took place in the closing days of the war in France. You can't tell me that a battalion of cavalry charging machine guns is tactically uninteresting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Moreuil_Wood

The cavalry won, by the way, with help from artillery.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My apologies; I reviewed that post and edited it before you replied, in order to change the tone which is obviously needlessly harsh.

However, I do disagree with any blanket assertion that the First World War was tactically uninteresting. You could say the same for Stalingrad - certainly not everyone's cup of tea, any more than digging Japanese hold-outs out of caves on Iwo Jima. But aside from the trench warfare, there were also tracts of open warfare on the Western Front, with armored cars and tanks and cavalry. Some of history's great cavalary charges, for example - Moreuil Wood comes to mind - took place in the closing days of the war in France. You can't tell me that a battalion of cavalry charging machine guns is tactically uninteresting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Moreuil_Wood

The cavalry won, by the way, with help from artillery.
No worries Michael, no bruised ego, just responding LOL

I have to admit my knowledge of WWI is mostly associated with the Somme and the war has held little attraction for me. I would though like to see a WWI mod as much as a Vietnam one, ie not at all. If MMP do it then I probably will pass and any future ASL scenarios that come out using the boards may well have to be played on VASL. As for the Korea one I will have to wait for feedback before final decision.

Ian

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States

S
This seems to be one of the appeals of the system. With the advent of the Blitzkrieg and the widespread use of armor and infantry/armor tactical doctrine, smaller units became highly effective fighting forces and were able to solve tactical challenges that the larger units of WWI and previous large engagements were incapable of dealing with. The roots of the tactical flexibility you see in WWII stretch back blatantly to the militia forces in the American Revolutionary and Civil Wars and even further (although less noticeably) to previous conflicts in Europe. It is this flexibility in tactical doctrine, the ability to flex and change in a relatively short amount of time that aids ASL in being both a relevant military "simulation" (notice the quotes) as well as a challenging and enjoyable game.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Someone needs to reach out to Mr. Swann on this as I thought Steve had something in the works on this subject, at one point in time.
Yes I did, but not in France. WW1 in Africa was more of a maneuver war than it was in France. I did a small article of this and a couple of scenarios that were sent to MMP. I guess that They decided against publishing.