ASL Tournament #1 - Operation Overlord

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

As promised, our first Warfare HQ ASL Tournament Operation Overlord is about to get underway.

In Operation Overlord, we are going to be following the actions of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions as they fight their way through the opening days of the Battle for Normandy during 6th-8th June, 1944.

As I mentioned earlier, one of our main aims for this, our first ASL tournament, is to allow maximum opportunity for all of our members here to participate, regardless of your skill level and prior playing experience. As a result, all scenarios used in our inaugural tournament are going to be infantry only (including light mortars). The only ASL module required is "Paratrooper" - from which the majority of our scenarios will be taken.

You can find more details on the rules, format and procedure at our tournament page but let me summarise briefly:

• Round One commences April 1st
  • Open to all registered players on the Warfare HQ ASL Ladder
  • Up to four Swiss-paired rounds by VASL - live on the server or PBEM
  • 45 days assigned to complete games in each round
  • Bonus ladder points for all participants, and for the top place-getters
  • A special "Operation Overlord" campaign medal for all participants
And if you have any questions about the format, or anything else, again... drop me a line and I'll try and help out.

Cheers,

Reepicheep
ASL Assistant Section Leader

Round 1 - "Gavin Take" (1st April - 15th May)

Reepicheep (US) defeated Seabee Mark (Germans)
AnewNewbie (US) vs. Stubble Jumper (Germans)

ToxicShock (US) defeated Johnny Canuck (Germans)
Minaya (Germans) defeated Bob Eury (US)

Nate Stapf (Germans) defeated Priest(US)
da priest(Germans) defeated alanp (US)

JeffH (Germans) vs. karl(US)
Chas Argent(US) defeated Strix (Germans)

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I accidentally deleted this thread, so I'm reposting the essentials. Sorry about that. But everyone who posted their interest has been included. I also received a question from Jeff H who asked...

JeffH said:
Paratrooper is the only module I haven't got, but if my opponent has it and is happy to give me the Victory Conditions can I be in ?
Time to make an executive decision... yes, that's fine by me Jeff. You'll also need any SSR that apply, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'll make sure you have all you need.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Okay... up to 11 entries now and filling quickly. If we can get to 12, we can go ahead with a format consisting of 3 groups of 4 players each. Otherwise, 16 is our next magic number.

Since we're pretty much assured of playing the full four rounds, I might as well give out the scenario details so you can get thinking about your opening strategy if you haven't played any of the scenarios before. We're going to be advancing chronologically through the actions of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisons as follows:

Round 1 - "Gavin Take" (6th June) from ASL Classic
Round 2 - "Confusion Reigns" (7th June) from Paratrooper
Round 3 - "Defiance on Hill 30" (8th June) from Paratrooper
Round 4 - "Trapped!" (8th June) from Paratrooper

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Priest said:
Is there going to be any prizes?
Bragging rights. :D

I'm sure you weren't expecting to get something for nothing, did you? But like all Warfare HQ tournies, as well as bragging rights there'll be some special medals for the top 3 players and bonus ladder points on offer.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Minaya said:
I'm interested too. I hope my Internet problems will be solved before the tournement begins.
I hope so too! Otherwise you will just have to play fast to catchup! ;)

Priest

Reaction score
Reepicheep said:
Bragging rights. :D

I'm sure you weren't expecting to get something for nothing, did you? But like all Warfare HQ tournies, as well as bragging rights there'll be some special medals for the top 3 players and bonus ladder points on offer.
Well I wasn't expecting a new car, but, ladder points are nice. Of, course an all expense paid vacation to Tahiti would be nicer. :devious:

BobEury

Reaction score
First name
Bob
Country
llUnited States
If there is still room, I'd like to be in on the tournament.

Thanks,

Bob Eury

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With that little flurry of registrations, we're down to just the one place left to make 16 players and then we are go! If you're on the sidelines and thinking about joining in on the action, now is the time to act!

btw, please take the scenario list I gave earlier as provisional as there may be a change or two before we get into the later rounds. Round 1 "Gavin Take" is a definite goer though, so start planning those strategies!

Last edited:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Okay... all 16 places are now filled. I'll be doing the draw shortly and then getting in touch with y'all.

Good luck!

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'll make this a sticky topic now and will be posting future tournament results as they are submitted via the "Submit Game Report" feature.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Okay... we now have our first result for Round 1, with Nate Stapf (Axis) defeating Priest (Allies) in Gavin Take. Bonus points and a campaign medal have been awarded to both players. :)

da priest

Reaction score
Reepicheep said:
Okay... we now have our first result for Round 1, with Nate Stapf (Axis) defeating Priest (Allies) in Gavin Take. Bonus points and a campaign medal have been awarded to both players. :)
Waid'a'minute!! Ya mean my priestly side-kick got kicked? Can't happen 'cause "got mit uns"... :mad:

check that record agin, maybe you got it upside down, seein' where ya all is from... :devil:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
da priest said:
Waid'a'minute!! Ya mean my priestly side-kick got kicked? Can't happen 'cause "got mit uns"... :mad:

check that record agin, maybe you got it upside down, seein' where ya all is from... :devil:
I'm afraid 'tis true. Did check it several times though to make sure! :cheeky:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Two results in one day... Chas Argent (Allies) has just defeated Strix (Axis) in the second Operation Overlord Round 1 match to be completed. That's a win for the Axis and a win for the Allies so far... maintaining the ROAR balance. :)

Priest

Reaction score
da priest said:

Sorry da priest, but, it's true. I'm still basing strategy on my incomplete knowlege of the rules, but, I'm learning.