ASL Supplemental Map Bundle Question

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For the MMP guys -

At the risk of undercutting what has been a painfully slow accumulation of pre-orders for Map Bundle #2, is there a cut off date for attaining the pre-orders needed? Is it feasible to assume that, regardless of whether the bundle is produced, the mapboards will be available for individual purchase at some point? Understand that individual sales would normally follow production of the bundle, but if the bundle doesn't reach that point, will that affect the production/sale of the mapboards individually (i.e., under "Parts" on the MMP site)? Thanks.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is an unofficial, undetermined cut off date for attaining preorders on the supplemental map pack. We are not sure exactly where it is, but it is approaching. We have not run the #s on board production recently otherwise. As it stands now, if we got 'em, we sell them. If we don't, we will print more eventually at some undetermined time.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
So why are people not pre-ordering? Seems like a good deal at $3 per map. I have all the maps already, so it doesn‘t make much sense for me. But there should be a ton of new players out there for which this is an interesting option.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
So why are people not pre-ordering? Seems like a good deal at $3 per map. I have all the maps already, so it doesn‘t make much sense for me. But there should be a ton of new players out there for which this is an interesting option.
It's a great deal, if you don't have most of these maps already!

But the original map bundle came with the maps unfolded (and only lightly creased in the center). These make multiple-board maps line-up perfectly. And the boards can be stored flat in their shipping box or in whatever you come up with:

IMG 1.jpg

This new bundle comes folded, however (I think to allow shipping with the odd-sized "Fort" maps). For many of us, these bundles are partly, mostly, or entirely duplicates. At least the flat-maps provided a useful, additional benefit.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Many people preordered the first map bundle, because they wanted to switch from the mounted boards to the new cardstock format.
The second bundle contains boards which already exist in the newer format.
So there logically are less people interested.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
And the boards can be stored flat in their shipping box or in whatever you come up with...
What a nice way to store the maps.

I think it's a good idea to cut them in the middle. This solves the alignment as well as the storage problem. Plus I don't like to fold a halfboard for playing, it's wobbly.

Also, what Robin said makes perfect sense. I'd recommend to adjust the pre-order number downwards, since a large number of maps have to be printed for the reprints anyway, and there is no way this stock won't be sold off in the foreseeable future.

I just wish I could pre-order a bundle to help out, alas it's that bug on the checkout form.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Many people preordered the first map bundle, because they wanted to switch from the mounted boards to the new cardstock format.
The second bundle contains boards which already exist in the newer format.
So there logically are less people interested.
This is exactly the reason why there was more interest for the first map bundle.

The second bundle, however, is ideal for people entering the ASL hobby and facing the situation that some products in which some of the SK style maps came are no longer available.

von Marwitz

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Like others, for me the value in the first was in "unfolded." Since this won't be that way, I haven't ordered. I will if they figure out how to do two shapes unfolded.

buser333

Reaction score
It's a great deal, if you don't have most of these maps already!

But the original map bundle came with the maps unfolded (and only lightly creased in the center). These make multiple-board maps line-up perfectly. And the boards can be stored flat in their shipping box or in whatever you come up with:

View attachment 4393

This new bundle comes folded, however (I think to allow shipping with the odd-sized "Fort" maps). For many of us, these bundles are partly, mostly, or entirely duplicates. At least the flat-maps provided a useful, additional benefit.
You just wanted a chance to show off your fancy map storage system didn't you? :)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In January I ordered all the available Action Packs and Winter Offensive Packs. Two weeks ago I ordered the Map pack to replace the mounted boards I have.

This leaves me with about 13 maps that are out of print. 53-59, 60-62 and 4a-6a. In my opinion these are the maps that are needed in a supplemental pack.

59, 63-67, 69-76 and 78-79 can be had in the APs and WOs.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I want the supplemental pack because I want duplicates of all those maps. I don't want to buy multiple copies of all new releases just to get duplicate maps.

As Robin says, the big issue now is that newer players have no convenient way of getting many of those maps, which were issued in products that are out of print and will not be reprinted (Action Packs, etc.). It seems counter-productive to tell a new player that there's no point in buying future issues of the Journal (etc.) because most of the scenarios will inevitably feature maps that they have no access to. Equally counter-productive would be an edict forbidding new scenarios using maps numbered > 52.

Maps are a core product, and should be treated like a core product. Currently, MMP treat them as something that some players think is a "nice to have".

As for folded vs. unfolded ... whatever floats your boat I guess. Every single ASL map I own is folded, because that's how I store them. The only ones that didn't come to me folded were from the original map pack, and they're folded now.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Well.. yeah :oops:...

...but it really does make me mad that the Sup. Map. Bund. 2. won't be shipped unfolded.:(
I keep all my boards folded and so far none of them have exploded or refused to lay flat.

In response to the OP, I have original set from the products and bought map pack 1 for my travel kit (plus buy duplicates to keep it up to date). So I don’t need a third set! Bring on the overlay pack though - that will hit p# in a week.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I keep all my boards folded and so far none of them have exploded or refused to lay flat.

In response to the OP, I have original set from the products and bought map pack 1 for my travel kit (plus buy duplicates to keep it up to date). So I don’t need a third set! Bring on the overlay pack though - that will hit p# in a week.
I have pre-ordered the supplemental as a way to have duplicates of whatever is in it. I am not worried about the fold because the AP and WO folded maps have been flattened by storing flat.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As one who doesn't care whether maps are folded or not, I agree 100% with Bruce: maps are a core product, and should be treated as such - and be easy to get, because it's the only way one can take advantage of the huge number of existing scenarios (unless playing on VASL). When I came back to the game about two years ago, I quickly got hold of the original Map Bundle, and started chasing all those Action Packs I'd missed over the years. Now, my MMP map collection is complete (or close to it), so I have no reason to buy the new Map Bundle.

But if it had been available two years ago, I'd certainly have ordered it. Most probably would have preordered it, too, instead of going after the various Action Packs (and other sources) on the secondary market.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Perry said (in a different thread):

I talked Brian into putting the Supplemental Map Pack up on preorder—the only ASL product not to hit its P#.
Presumption: the Supplemental Map Pack is a "Core Product" [it includes components that are essential for the play of many current and future scenarios, and many of them are (or eventually will be) no longer available from their original sources, because Action Packs etc. do not get reprinted] that will not ever actually be made available to purchase (because unlike other Core Products, it has a P# requirement).

So ... what is MMP's plan to actually make these core components available to people who need them?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perry said (in a different thread):

Presumption: the Supplemental Map Pack is a "Core Product" [it includes components that are essential for the play of many current and future scenarios, and many of them are (or eventually will be) no longer available from their original sources, because Action Packs etc. do not get reprinted] that will not ever actually be made available to purchase (because unlike other Core Products, it has a P# requirement).

So ... what is MMP's plan to actually make these core components available to people who need them?
They are still available individually, perhaps they envision a "Map Pack" offer where a certain number of boards would be offered at a specific price. There would certainly be a number of ways to approach this, but of course I'm not privy to their business decisions (just a hint perhaps).

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are still available individually, perhaps they envision a "Map Pack" offer where a certain number of boards would be offered at a specific price. There would certainly be a number of ways to approach this, but of course I'm not privy to their business decisions (just a hint perhaps).
Maps 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 4a, 5a, 6b are not available. Only by paying ungodly amounts to get oop action packs that equals about $20-$30 per map

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
They are still available individually
Are they? Where on the MMP website did you find that information? How much? How do I add them to my cart? What if I need to get 10 of them? All of them? Do I get a bulk discount? Hey, wouldn't it be great to be able to buy them in a big bundle?

(If you're not privy to their decisions, why did you even reply? I asked for "MMP's plan", not "random guesses from other people".)