ASL Superstitions

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a superstition per se, but something I like to do is name my SMC when playing VASL. I also like to give the names a theme. Started a VASL game with a friend, named my SMC Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell, and Dean. Generated a hero, named him Cox.

I avoid taking Prisoners unless I absolutely have to. It's the possibility of what can happen if the dice take a bad bounce and hit a leader who drops a stack which happens to contain Prisoners.

BD

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Not a superstition per se, but something I like to do is name my SMC when playing VASL. I also like to give the names a theme. Started a VASL game with a friend, named my SMC Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell, and Dean. Generated a hero, named him Cox.

I avoid taking Prisoners unless I absolutely have to. It's the possibility of what can happen if the dice take a bad bounce and hit a leader who drops a stack which happens to contain Prisoners.

BD
I'm sure Sgt. Nixon was pleased.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It could be an excellent idea - if only attractive women would play the game...

von Marwitz
If only. There has to be a reason the overwhelming number of ASL players are male, not sure what it is. I've seen a handful of female ASL players and one transgender player but that's about it. I'll talk to Captain Bacchus this evening and see if he has any views on the lack of female ASL players. ??

His cousin, Colonel Cuervo, is in the neighborhood so I may check his opinion also.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sometimes I think random number generators hate me.

The worst example of this was playing Magnus at Double One. Three Russian tanks roll up on a crest and each takes MA shots to gain aquisition. I rolled three double sixes in a row?.

That was using a dice cup, dice tower and my own backgammon precision dice. I still use the dice but told them if they do that to me again I have a vice in the garage and will not hesitate to use it on them.................which appears to have worked:).
Joe it’s the dice cup that did it. I’ll never use a dice cup a I want to feel the dice tumbling into my dice tower!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My most cherished item is a Jim McLeod dice tower, given to me by Jim. Miss that guy, high quality and character. We were carpenter brothers.
Hmm. I didn't realize you were into woodworking. Very nice.

I just have the cheap plastic dice towers we used that were from the Chute Five game. Less of a loss when thrown against the wall although the flying shards of plastic were hazardous.

We were more into Doobie Brothers than the Carpenters.??

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never play anyone from Australia in a scenario where they have a German 75* Gun. You will get pounded by multiple critical hits.

It never fails. I think the Aussies have been holding out a Top secret gun-laying method on all of us for 75 years. Either that, or all that sun makes their vision so acute they can park the reticle crosshairs on the exhaust pipe of a moving vehicle at over 480 meters, every time.

I have been gutted in scenarios no less than 7 times by Aussies with this particular ASL Gun.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I dont have many pet peeves, but one of mine is when my opponent has trust issues. Usually it manifests in distrust of the VASL die roller, or some other RNG. Come on.
I always tell people, when it comes to VASL, you trust your opponent or you don't play ASL with them. You can't trust anything client side in the VASL system. It can be modified very easily and such modifications cannot be detected. I figure it says more about them than it does about me. I have played close to 3000 games, probably more than a 1000 via VASL. In all that time, I have never been asked to use delayed notes or to produce my HIP sheet. In all that time, I have only ever asked to see one HIP sheet and that was only because I could surmise his HIP observer couldn't observe all the places he claimed it could.

I would happily produce my sheet or use the delayed information if asked to do so but I figure it says a lot about them if their first thought is how do I keep this guy honest. Perhaps that's just me. -- jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Same for me, Jim.
I don't see the point of cheating.
Unfortunately, I play too often wrong and when it is in my advantage (e.g. forgetting a DRM) I always hope that my opponent doesn't suppose that I was cheating.
Happily, the errors which disadvantage me are about as numerous...