ASL Superstitions

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I always try and use named counters of players I have met or played against, sometimes helps sometimes they become casualties or SAN bait
We put the SMCs of people we knew on our dice towers with that blue sticky putty, ready for deployment when needed.

Never thought about rubbing the counter on a cat to see if it would stick to the dice tower.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The superstitions I frequently see :
  • using precision dice to mitigate randomness (I use them because they are nice to see, but I use other nice ones, like the Schwerpunkt sets)
  • using real dice rather than the dicebot (even than the random.org one) for the same reasons
  • orienting the sniper counter with the "1" pointing at the hexside with the coord. (not required, but it calms OCD)
  • last but not least, as there is more debate on this one than on most conspiracy theories : using the IIFT to "fix" the system and make the game "more realistic" (it rather breaks some design intentions, such as giving 5FP to units meant to seek close quarters combat, and it fixes nothing)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I always try and use named counters of players I have met or played against, sometimes helps sometimes they become casualties or SAN bait
Use 'v. Marwitz' and you'll dethrone Pleva. If not, burn your dice. ;)

von Marwitz

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Illuminating Rounds are hoping to feature some of your ASL superstitions.

We all have them: lucky underwear, rabbit's foot, only playing newer players.

Please share because me and Dave don't have enough to feature a top 5!
First, I generally favor leader counters with names of people I know or have played.

Second, beware of "called shots." Now would be a terrible time for a boxcars or... I need to be able to roll less than 8 on one of these three close combats, don't I?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Professor Talo of the University of Astragal is a renowned authority on dice. He maintains that all six sided dice are male and all dice having more sides are female. He bases this conclusion on the premise that males are generally satisfied with a small handful of options while females require considerably more.

While this researcher has been unable to verify the Professor's theory any male who has ever gone shopping with a female can see the rationale of his conclusions. ??
So, what's a 4-sider? I'm thinking Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino...only 4 options and they're all sharp and pointy.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For best chance at a win never have a McGrath, Pleva or Bendis on your table or across from you at your table.

I always play with a version of Connor if possible...it just feels right to give him table time on the cardboard.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
For best chance at a win never have a McGrath, Pleva or Bendis on your table or across from you at your table.

I always play with a version of Connor if possible...it just feels right to give him table time on the cardboard.
You are too modest to include yourself on that list so I will do it for you. ?

Took Sgt. Conner with me to ASLOk after he passed. Didn't seem right without him there.

Fish always wanted to ride on the Goodyear blimp so I had contemplated contacting Goodyear to see if they would take his counter for a ride. Never followed through partly because I only have one Sgt. Conner counter and don't want to lose it but mainly because I am a lazy f##k, as Fish would confirm.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
So, what's a 4-sider? I'm thinking Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino...only 4 options and they're all sharp and pointy.
Will try to get in contact with Professor Talo and inquire about this oversight on his part. He has been spending too much time with Captain Bacchus and I am afraid it is affecting his otherwise stellar research. ☹?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I always use my Battle School Dice & my Steve Pleva Dice Tower whenever I play ftf.

They don't always roll my way but are fun, fair & the tower is silent so don't bother anyone when playing at night.

Rolling real dice after being mainly on VASL for months is an awesome thing, Vic.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I always use my Battle School Dice & my Steve Pleva Dice Tower whenever I play ftf.

They don't always roll my way but are fun, fair & the tower is silent so don't bother anyone when playing at night.

Rolling real dice after being mainly on VASL for months is an awesome thing, Vic.
Given your preference for silent rolling I take it you are not a fan of rolling in a glass.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
but mainly because I am a lazy f##k, as Fish would confirm.
Fish would often chastise me for my reluctance to get off of my dead ass and go somewhere. He said if the Beatles were playing in the parking lot next to my house I wouldn't go to see them. Probably true but I would stick my head out the window to listen, before I called the cops to complain about the loud music! Old people!?!????

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Likewise when games at home , my Pleva tower is my most coveted ASL item, I had to collect it personally from Steve at ASLOK 30, he made that as a last one for me and it was the reason for me going there.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Likewise when games at home , my Pleva tower is my most coveted ASL item, I had to collect it personally from Steve at ASLOK 30, he made that as a last one for me and it was the reason for me going there.
Hopefully you stuck around to play a scenario or two after picking up the tower. ??

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My most cherished item is a Jim McLeod dice tower, given to me by Jim. Miss that guy, high quality and character. We were carpenter brothers.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hopefully you stuck around to play a scenario or two after picking up the tower. ??
was there for the week , Sunday to Sunday, the most comments I got when introduced to others were “ so you are OLLI“ then comments about my clipping and collection!!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My first game there on the Monday morning was against Paul Sidhu, of which I lost but I gave him a game s time to achieve it, at one point we could not remember a rule and agreed to do if the way he thought it should be done , the next morning go looked for me first thing to apologise for getting it wrong . It did not change the outcome but should the true gent in him, something I find a lot with aaSL players wherever I go .

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My first game there on the Monday morning was against Paul Sidhu, of which I lost but I gave him a game s time to achieve it, at one point we could not remember a rule and agreed to do if the way he thought it should be done , the next morning go looked for me first thing to apologise for getting it wrong . It did not change the outcome but should the true gent in him, something I find a lot with aaSL players wherever I go .
As bendizoid said in his first interview with the 2 Half Squads his main focus is to be a good sportsman, an attitude I am glad to see is shared by many ASL player!!